ProLaxShop

USA v Iroquois

Any posts on the Under 19's World Games in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

USA v Iroquois

Postby rpowell Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:05 pm

It's like buses: you wait decades for a USA loss at Under 19 level, then two come along at once...
orange05
League Mod
League Mod

Re: USA v Iroquois

Postby orange05 Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Wow

15-13

Iroquois gets bye to semis, USA has to play-off for semi-final spot against Germany or... Wales!
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Brilliant, cant wait to get home and see the recording.... if Virgin broadband will allow me!

Come on Wales, all to play for!
orange05
League Mod
League Mod

Postby orange05 Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:38 pm

orange05 wrote:USA has to play-off for semi-final spot

Never thought I would EVER read or write that! History in the making

Hope the Canadians and/or Iroquois can repeat their success later in the week in the knockout round!
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:17 pm

I have been fascinated by the different styles of play displayed particularly by the Canadian and Iroquois with their top level box experience, and the more traditional field lacrosse squads.

Both Canada and Iroquois have seemed exceptionally strong around the crease, and very patient in building up their plays, especially Canada who seem to have a regular number of stall warning called. very exciting to watch and lightning fast when the moves are committed. The stick skills close in are remarkable

To my mind though both teams seem less confident at the back, but the midfield generally are able to win and maintain possession so it is dificult to take advantage of that.
Phil

Postby Phil Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:24 pm

58:45 1min ISAACS Kyle Iroquois Unsportmanlike conduct
58:45 1min KAVANAGH Matthew USA Unsportmanlike conduct

Fight?

Phil
Wacs10

Postby Wacs10 Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Wow! hello from Turku, Finland again. As USA warmed up on the field I walked past the Iroquois huddle outside the stadium in their make-shift locker rooms with the coaches saying "lets make history today"......................and that is exactly what happened, what an amazing game, it was roller coaster ride, with USA taking leads and Iroquois typically fighting back with un-answered goals, there where amazing goals from both sides including heavy rips from Tucker and Tagliaferri, a great dive through the crease by USA's best player Kavanagh and heavy hits from both sides.

There was an amazing hidden ball trick that fooled the online cameras from the creators of the game and was in the net before most of the crowd even realised it - even the Canadian coaches sat in front of me scouting the game.

Randy Staats (who played in 2008 as a 15 year old) is just a great player and scored some great goals even on one leg (knee brace). Lyle Thompson is the coolest player and handled the ball under high pressure in the last few minutes to draw a penalty Jonny Powless then scored from the power play!

Lyle Thompson at one point dodged at the top of the box and dangled his stick outback until the US D bit, he then moved his stick and fired a low shot into the bottom corner of the US goal.

Warren Hill in goal for the Iroquois was a wall all day he has quick hands and is very agile, at one point when scores where level in the forth quarter he made an amazing save baiting the shooter to shoot high, he then sprung up to make the save and cleared to Thompson who was already on the halfway line to start a break that was finished by Staats, everyone in the crowd knew that the US had not only lost the first game in history to Canada but had also lost their second game to the creators of the game.

The Crowd applauded both teams from the field as they knew that not only had history been made twice but also that they had probably watched one the greatest games ever to happen in Europe!

I'll be back
HEAD, HEART HUSTLE.
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Postby rpowell Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:24 pm

You know, it was such a good game, I'd like to see them play one another again. Sometime around, oh, I don''t know, how about Thursday? :)
davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Extraordinary stuff, especially the best hidden-ball trick in the world scored by Brendan Bomberry.

Loved the failed late stick-check call on Lyle Thompson; a desperate move by the USA bench after their Alpha Dog #42 Jahelka(?) had been shown up again.

USA #25 Matt Kavanagh is probably the strongest individual player in the tournament, and he drew some rough treatment from Carl Issacs today.

All-in-all, such a mind-blowing standard of lacrosse that I can't cope with watching Canada v Australia.

(Suddenly the $24.95 Ustream ticket looks great value)
Last edited by davewilliams on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
Wacs10

Postby Wacs10 Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 pm

The flight, hotel, £7 a pint and my sons England Fees all seem like great value, great day and a great tournament! :lol:
HEAD, HEART HUSTLE.
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 am

UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:49 am

Unbelievably here is a photo of the hidden ball trick Goal

Taken by Brendan Bomberry #42 dad Patrick
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:54 am

Got to love the Iroquois Nationals

Head Heart Hustle

Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Both my laptops have thrown in the towel and I have not seen this game yet, hopefully tonight! I have to say though. although I did not expect this result, I hoped for it. The Iroquois have played such an exciting, joyful and instinctive brand of Lacrosse that you cannot but help love it. Wacs10 comments on here and Facebook reflect the high standard displayed in this game, USA are stinging at the result and the probable rematch in the semi is likely to be a stunner. I may have to buy a new computer before then.
buckers_the_great

Postby buckers_the_great Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Loving the pic of the hidden ball trick. Team USA have fallen for that hook, line and sinker!
Flt Lt Mark Buckley
RAF High Wycombe

RAF Lacrosse (Association Secretary) #17 2005-2020
SEMLA Referee
Welwyn Warriors #whatever's going spare 2011
Newcastle Knights #17 2008-2010, Toon Army #17 Forever
orange05
League Mod
League Mod

Postby orange05 Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Not a good week for the US - even Germany got an equaliser against them
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Just managed to watch the first quarter of the recorded game. Fantastic. USA were totally top notch.

Return to “2012 U19 Worlds”