ProLaxShop

England’s World Championship Squad Revealed

Moderator: ELA Staff

UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Gary, excellent post.

I believe it is valid to ask questions of our National Team because it is our National Team.

I'd like to ask a question to the Forum in general:

What is the reason to have a National Team?

1) Is it to raise funds from Sport England and achieve the highest ranking possible in International competition?
If this is the case they why bother going on tour and doing all the training for 18 months prior to the World Games. What we could do is scout all the NCAA Divisions (I, II & III) as well as the Western Lacrosse Association (WLA) and the Ontario Lacrosse Association (OLA) and find as many Dual-Citizenship players as possible to select from. Meet up 2 weeks before the Championship to say hello and practice and then go play.
We could even enter a tournament such as Vail similar to what Canada did in 2006 and have in effect a Mock Tournament before the World Games. There is no need for these guys to even visit England unless the World Games are held there once every 16 years.

2) Is it to create a Player Career path so that players have something to aim for to play at the highest level they can, so it provides motivation for the best players to train more and improve their game until they gain recognition as the best players in the Country at lacrosse.

3) Is it actually a Holiday Tour Company who charge players hundreds of pounds to travel to Loughborough, USA, Italy, La Manga and various other exotic locations in the Name of England Lacrosse so that if you attend all their trips the have the chance to pay £500 to visit Manchester in July 2010?
Is there also a subsidiaries of this Tour firm called "England U19s Lacrosse" who can offer Once in a Lifetime opportunities to Junior players every 4 years?

4) Other...
Harry Collins

Re:

Postby Harry Collins Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Judging by some of the recent postings on the forums I'm gonna go for

UKLaxfan wrote:
4) Other...

To have something that as a small minority sport playing community we can whinge about...? :wink:
Hillcroft #41
Viking lax #14
Ex-Brooklands #14
Ex-York #14
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:07 pm

Out of interest, are there any England players or staff on here? I'm curious to know their take: if you get selected would you rather the guy next to you is the best player available or someone you've trained and played with for the last god knows how long, even if he's not quite as good?

The other thing that I wonder is these players' situations. Are they basically Americans who happen to have British citizenship, or are they Englishmen who happen to live abroad? I grew up in Germany 'cos my dad was in the RAF, but I'm English through and through.

I'm tempted to apply the 'other sport' test. My question when Kevin Pietersen started playing for England was "whom does he support when England play South Africa at rugby?". So whom would these players be cheering when an Englishman boxes a Yank, or when d**k played Henman?

By the way, it turns out KP supported England rugby from childhood, even when he still wanted to play cricket for SA...
Chichester Crusaders Coach.
Portsmouth Uni #66 - once upon a time.
Southampton Sabres #66 - a long time ago.
Army #7 - Tri-Services 2009

Coming soon to a sideline near you, complete with camera.
Harry Collins

Postby Harry Collins Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm not sure if it's the best idea for current players or staff to comment on the relationships within the camp or selection process only 2 months before the world championships. I'd imagine they'd feel the same way but I stand to be corrected...
Hillcroft #41
Viking lax #14
Ex-Brooklands #14
Ex-York #14
stocklax26

Postby stocklax26 Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:37 pm

Firstly I am going to be quite frank in my response because stupidly I read this forums when I know I shouldn't... (I dont know why but I find it fascinating reading peoples opinions who no nothing about the England setup)

Lacrosse in England is a Amateur sport, everyone is entitled to there opinion on this forum however take in mind we play in a tiny lacrosse community, We are a privately funded team, and have to pay for everything. But we do it because we love this sport and do it for our country, We ALL (Players, Management, Support Staff its not just the players on the team!!) sacrifice Time, Money and our Personal lives to be the best we can be in the summer regardless who has been selected.

We on the team are unbelievably excited about the championships, the chance to play in-front of our family, friends and peers is an opportunity we dont take lightly and we fully appreciate we dont want to let the English Lacrosse community down.

On the issue of gelling, we are probably the closest set of players I have ever played that includes the overseas element of our team.

I was there in 1998 at the Baltimore games where there was only about 50-80 or so England fans at Homewood Field and we were by far the loudest and the atmosphere was something ive never experienced since. We all hope you bring that same enthusiasm and as corny as it sounds be our 11th Man.

Maybe we can even get 2000+ to each game, if we do we need a supportive not a hostile crowd. If your the latter, please save your money and stay at home watch it online and then come on this forum and vent your frustrations to
other faceless and anonymous usernames.

Developing English Lacrosse

To your second point about the development of English lacrosse, If you going to have a biased opinion at least base it on some actual fact yes there are only 3 non passport holders on the team the rest a english nationals living abroad.

How can you say we are not developing the English game. We now have the England Academy!! Maybe you should come and watch to some of our academy kids, who have the opportunities in personal development most of the current England team didn't get until they were U19's? there are academies at both U15 and U17 Levels and get 100+ to each and every session, and 60-70+ to the South sessions. Which again every England Coach and Player helps to develop....

Maybe you should talk to the 5 players who currently or have just finished playing NCAA and High School lacrosse in the US! Where Sam Russell is in the Top 20 point scorers in the Div III and Jak Wav looks as if he is going to be the first kid to play on a Div I NCAA team for a long time. Jordan Levak Ohio State he was born here moved when he was 10 he played for the U19, and is probably moving back here after college. Or maybe Paul Flowers who has won a championship with NYIT. Progress?

We are going to slip down the European Rankings? we scored 176 goals and conceded 23 last Euros!! How is that slipping down the European Rankings???? They were all stacked with US players aswell...

Rant Over...
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Out of curiosity, how much time have the non-doms had with the rest of the side, playing, training, social etc?
Chichester Crusaders Coach.
Portsmouth Uni #66 - once upon a time.
Southampton Sabres #66 - a long time ago.
Army #7 - Tri-Services 2009

Coming soon to a sideline near you, complete with camera.
UKLaxfan

Re: England’s World Championship Squad Revealed

Postby UKLaxfan Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:57 pm

The first game is in 10 days now on the 15th July vs Iroquois Nationals.

Do England have any warm up games prior to the Iroquois game?

When was the last time England played a competitive game?

There have been a number of scrimmage games where we are told that the Team are working on different aspects of the game or line-up ie "The result doesn't matter" so when was the last game that the result did matter?

I was hoping to watch England play some warm-up games and see how the Team has come together with all the training. The US Tour was a fantastic experience by all accounts, I just hope they have all the wrinkles ironed out before the Iroquois game as that game definitely matters.

It would be great to see England blow the cobwebs out and beat one of the developing Nations and score 20+ in a friendly before the big one on the 15th.

A Win vs the Iroquois would be an amazing result and put England in a very strong position for winning a medal as Australia haven't been able to select their strongest team by all accounts because of cost, and England beat Japan twice in 2006.

The Iroquois players are playing competitive games every week in either the MLL or MSL, Cody Jamieson went (3,3) on Saturday for Six Nations Chiefs, Brett Bucktooth, Craig Point & Delby Powless all scored for Toronto last Thursday in the MLL in their 15-13 Win over Boston Cannons.

The first game is vital for England and could set the tone for the whole Championship.

it would be fantastic to have a sell out with lots of local support :D

Let's hope the weather holds out and it is a night to remember
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:18 am

webby

Postby webby Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:39 am

UKLaxfan wrote:Story on England players

http://www.lacrosse.co.uk/news/independ ... 7740.shtml

Where did this lacrosse.co.uk site come from? I noticed it a couple months ago but no one ever talks about it.

Decent article, sound like some good players.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
dmiddie

Postby dmiddie Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:02 pm

Its a sports news group - http://www.press.co.uk/
webby

Postby webby Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:48 pm

dmiddie wrote:Its a sports news group - http://www.press.co.uk/

Cool, was just wondering how they got all the info for the different ELA teams, but it appears like they've just copied info from individual team wesbsites.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
whopead

Postby whopead Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:26 pm

they have copied without permission!! tsent an email to them so their site links to the Notts site but no reply!

any one know anyone who runs it?
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
manc_lad

Postby manc_lad Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:19 pm

just my 50p worth.

I've played with Lewis Ratcliffe and he's easily one of the best players I've ever played with. The guy is a machine. I can't think of anyone better than him that plays in England at the moment.

I suppose the coaches should pick players they believe will 'add something' to the England team. I hope this is not just individual skill and is more focused on experience on the pitch and helping the home-grown England players rise to a higher level. Also picking players that are leaders and able to drive the team forward to achieve better results.

If the players are simply picked for individual talent or reputation then that does seem a waste and all the players who are sitting on the bench (all UK players) would be gutted i'm sure.

Return to “FIL World Championships”