ProLaxShop

Schedule released for other teams!

Moderator: ELA Staff

Necrolax.it

Postby Necrolax.it Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:45 am

snooplax wrote:So what are people's thought about the groups and the format after the group round?

I think that it wouldbe better if there were less groups and more teams on each group, so each nation could play against more teams.

We are in a very bad group for us. The only good thing (for me) is that I know some people in the czech team that I played at the intercrosse world cups.
#5 Red Hawks Merate Inter-crosse #5-#11 Italy Inter-crosse
#5 Red Hawks Merate Lacrosse #5 Italy Lacrosse
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Re:

Postby rpowell Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:28 am

Necrolax.it wrote:I think that it wouldbe better if there were less groups and more teams on each group, so each nation could play against more teams.

We are in a very bad group for us. The only good thing (for me) is that I know some people in the czech team that I played at the intercrosse world cups.

Don't worry about the small groups. Yes, there are only three group games, but then you get at least another 4 matches to determine final placings.

These matches should get better matched as the toutrnament goes on...
Amfidiusz

Postby Amfidiusz Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm not sure if I like that 'two second place teams' concept. Having four good teams in a group (like in case of the red one) will not allow for a promotion of two teams - the level of play will be so equal that we will not see many goals scored and the 'lucky looser' position will be taken by one of the teams from a group with two dominant nations who will be able to score high in matches against their less experienced opponents (quite a long sentence :P).

However, I want to believe that the presented scheme is the best we could get. After all, only ones skills and effort will be dicisive.
Rotterdam Jaguars
Team Poland
UKLaxfan

Re:

Postby UKLaxfan Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:08 pm

So who do you think goes through?

Good luck to all the teams
Last edited by UKLaxfan on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Livlax

Postby Livlax Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:18 pm

looking like a good tournament! cant wait to get cracking,

...i have to ask though, where on earth did they get Plum, Grey and Turquoise from lol?

whats wrong with good old fashion colours like green, black, purple etc? I would have loved it if they'd gone for the full dulux colour range on us and cracked out fuchsia, mint, terracotta and lavender as group names :lol:
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Re: Re:

Postby rpowell Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:15 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:So who do you think goes through?
Interesting that Play-in games are vs Blue 3rd & 4th not Blue 5th & 6th
Does that mean Blue 1st & 2nd play Blue 5th & 6th in Quarter-Finals

Nope - the teams finishing 5th & 6th in Blue will not be able to make the semi-finals - the best they can do is 5th.
6x6

Postby 6x6 Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Apologize in advance if I offend but Scotland, Ireland and Germany should easily win all their games. In deference to other's assertions that each team should have chance to win it all, I think the Associate Member teams should have been placed in their own group. Other organizations have a probationary period for less than full members/new teams and don't allow them a chance to play for a title. This would have meant more competitive games for them and a truer test of lacrosse for the remaining teams in other groups. IMO more even competion in all groups enhances the lacrosse experience for players, coaches and fans.

Anyone know how the game times were determined? Random draw? Some unlucky teams have an early a.m. game after a late game while others have all afternoon games with nearly a full 24 hours to recover day to day which may surely help as the tournament goes on.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Re:

Postby rpowell Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:55 pm

6x6 wrote:...I think the Associate Member teams should have been placed in their own group.

They did do something like this on 2002, but it was not well received.

6x6 wrote:Anyone know how the game times were determined?

There's a rule that face-off times of consecutive matches for the same team must be at least 14 hours apart.

So, you wouldn't have to play under the floodlights at 19:30 one day, then at 08:30 the next (as that would be 13 hours difference).

But you might have to play at 17:30 day 2, then 08:30 day 3, as Wales will have to (15 hours difference).

As to how the times were determined - not sure. But there appears to have been a deliberate decision to vary the times for all teams - so you don't get stuck with three games starting at 08:30, nor three at 17:30, neither of which are much fun. Sometimes you want to watch Blue division games in the late afternoon, sometimes you want some sleep :)
6x6

Re: Re:

Postby 6x6 Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:20 pm

rpowell wrote:
6x6 wrote:...I think the Associate Member teams should have been placed in their own group.

They did do something like this on 2002, but it was not well received.

6x6 wrote:Anyone know how the game times were determined?

There's a rule that face-off times of consecutive matches for the same team must be at least 14 hours apart.

So, you wouldn't have to play under the floodlights at 19:30 one day, then at 08:30 the next (as that would be 13 hours difference).

But you might have to play at 17:30 day 2, then 08:30 day 3, as Wales will have to (15 hours difference).

As to how the times were determined - not sure. But there appears to have been a deliberate decision to vary the times for all teams - so you don't get stuck with three games starting at 08:30, nor three at 17:30, neither of which are much fun. Sometimes you want to watch Blue division games in the late afternoon, sometimes you want some sleep :)

Thanks for the information and clarification.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
whopead

Re:

Postby whopead Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:19 pm

webby wrote:Any one know anything about New Zealand and Latvia? :shock:

I have played In NZ. think most of the squad will be hame grown. Aside from one or 2 players i would maybe put them at D4 NEMLA level. (please bare in mind i am not an expert and was 2 years ago when i played.
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
bdalax

Re:

Postby bdalax Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:20 pm

rpowell wrote:What happens next...

The six winners of the groups, plus the two best runners up, make eight teams.
They play one day of knock-out matches, which brings us down to 4 teams.
After a further day of knock-out matches, two teams come out on top.
And those two teams each get to a play-in match against the sides who came 3rd and 4th in the Blue division.

(and in the background lots of complicated games to start resolving places for the six who do not get to the play-in games)

Could you send the entire schedule? I would be interested in how the teams that don't make the play-in games playoff. Thanks.
bdalax

Groupings Format

Postby bdalax Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:48 pm

What's clear from the format is that the FIL took the final standandings from 2006 and wrapped them around. The only team they excluded from this was New Zealand. Here's how it worked:

7. Ireland 18. South Korea
8. Germany 17. Spain 20. Hong Kong
9. Finland 16. Denmark 21. Bermuda
10. Italy 15. Czech Rep. 22. Sweden (only previous team not in 2006)
11. Scotland 14. Latvia 23. New Zealand (why not #19 - not sure)
12. Holland 13. Wales

The new teams were then allocated, possibly by how they have played at other tournaments or how long they have been a member???

Its unfortunate that Finland, Denmark and Bermuda all end up in the same group. Finland & Bermuda also played one another twice at the U-19's. But there should be some good competitive games between Bermuda, Denmark and Poland.
Last edited by bdalax on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:06 pm

bdalax wrote:What's clear from the format is that the FIL took the final standandings from 2006 and wrapped them around. The only team they excluded from this was New Zealand. Here's how it worked:

12. Holland 13. Wales

The new teams were then allocated, possibly by how they have played at other tournaments or how long they have been a member???

Its unfortunate that Finland, Denmark and Bermuda all end up in the same group. Finland & Bermuda also played one another twice at the U-19's. But there should be some good competitive games between Bermuda, Denmark and Poland.

So the European Championships have no impact on seedings :?

It's always interesting to hear the response to groupings & seeds, teams don't want to travel to World Games then play their neighbours but they also don't want to be in a strong group, so they have a chance of success.

If they dominate teams in their group, they are not happy about level of competition :roll:

fun & games to be had :mrgreen:
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:18 pm

No home nations in the Welsh group, nice change :)
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
bdalax

Re:

Postby bdalax Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:29 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:
bdalax wrote:What's clear from the format is that the FIL took the final standandings from 2006 and wrapped them around. The only team they excluded from this was New Zealand. Here's how it worked:

12. Holland 13. Wales

So the European Championships have no impact on seedings :?

It's always interesting to hear the response to groupings & seeds, teams don't want to travel to World Games then play their neighbours but they also don't want to be in a strong group, so they have a chance of success.

If they dominate teams in their group, they are not happy about level of competition :roll:

fun & games to be had :mrgreen:

That backfired miserably on the Czech Republic in 2006 who requested to be moved from the Yellow group to the Orange group in order to have a better chance at a high placing, but a more difficult opening group. In the end, it dropped their final placement several spots.
laxican

Postby laxican Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Any one know anything about New Zealand and Latvia?

I have never seen New Zealand as a team, but you got your hands full with the Claytons, they can play.
snooplax

Postby snooplax Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:25 pm

NZ will be pretty strong from what I hear on the grapevine
lead_head11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby lead_head11 Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:53 pm

I have played In NZ. think most of the squad will be hame grown. Aside from one or 2 players i would maybe put them at D4 NEMLA level. (please bare in mind i am not an expert and was 2 years ago when i played.

I played in NZ last season. Their league wasnt very strong, best player by far was Ben 'Happy' Gilmore and apart from an attackman from Harbour Hawks and a D pole from Wildcats (who isnt in the squad as far as I can see), no other stand out players.
Welwyn 06-08
Auckland Wildcats 08-09
Welwyn 09-11
Hitchin 11-
SLL
snooplax

Re:

Postby snooplax Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:13 pm

lead_head11 wrote:

I played in NZ last season. Their league wasnt very strong, best player by far was Ben 'Happy' Gilmore and apart from an attackman from Harbour Hawks and a D pole from Wildcats (who isnt in the squad as far as I can see), no other stand out players.

Roster shows a few handy US guys too
bdalax

Re: Groupings Format

Postby bdalax Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:02 am

12. Holland 13. Wales

A bit of an expansion on the groups. New Zealand was moved to avoid playing South Korea and Hong Kong whom they play regionally. Groups were also aligned to ensure there were not 4 teams from Europe in any group.

Return to “FIL World Championships”