ProLaxShop

Ticket prices

Moderator: ELA Staff

Ash

Postby Ash Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm guessing its also partially motivated by trying to get up attendances at a few other games too, as people will have tickets so might be inclined to use them more. But as most people won't want to take a lot of time off work (or won't be able to afford the cost and hotels for a couple of weeks, etc if students) realistically most people who don't live in manchester (Mancs can go to evening games i guess!) probably won't want to do more than 3 or 4 days.

I don't resent paying 30 odd quid a day lacrosse, but for that i want to be able to only go to a couple of days of my choosing, not be obliged to pay for 2 weeks worth (especially bearing in mind a load of us will be crashing in hotels too as not everyone lives with in 4 yards of old trafford).

I guess its all about not getting to annoyed with the ELA unless the day ticket rumour is confirmed as true.
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
6x6

Re: Re:

Postby 6x6 Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:32 pm

young_trig wrote:
Ash wrote:Well I guess we will see in January. Would be a fine example of ela attitude to marginalising non Manchester lacrosse if day tickets are only available on the door. 12 pounds booking fee is a bit of a joke too.

£12 booking fee? Really?
Is that per ticket or per order placed?
Is there a way to buy tickets straight from the ELA in the post so that we can avoid it?

This just keeps getting worse!

According to the website, the 12 GBP is for the concession ticket. It appears the fee is added for each transaction not by the number of tics purchased. However, if you are not a student or over age 60, you need to buy the standard ticket and the booking fee for that is 17 GBP for a total of 167 ! The family plan, 2 parents w/2 kids under 16, is 400 with an additional booking fee of 42 gbp for a total of 442. I guess it's up to us to see what our bottom line is. If a student can get to 3 days of the 10 and watch 10 games or so, then 112 BGP is not too bad a deal.

Ash, not sure I agree about your suggestion that folks who have tics will spill over into other games, thereby upping attendance. I'm assuming you mean the other division games. The other division games will be attended by the families and fans of those countries, along with players from other teams watching. IMO and no offense to anyone, the folks with season tics will rather watch England, Canada, US, etc than a game pitting Bermuda vs Denmark. So, unless the season ticket holders go out early for morning games, they will be in the stands watching the Blue division games.

Regarding finances, how much did Canada lose by hosting in '06? The host country should certainly try to not to lose money but if you're worried about that, if that is your driving force, then the country shouldn't put in a bid to host in the first place. Why do countries fight to get the Olympics when results have shown they can be a huge drain on the host. How about the Commonwealth games? I guess they do it for pride and to showcase their country. Not too mention the possible economic impact if done right. According to their website, hosting the World Lacrosse Championship will generate 6.4 million GBP's into the greater Manchester economy.

The World Championship event should showcase lacrosse in the host country while also rewarding all those that particpate, officiate, or support (parents etc) and help keep the sport going. Making it difficult for those without the time or money to attend the entire ten days is regrettable.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
snooplax

Postby snooplax Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:52 am

Maybe someone from the ELA would like to join this debate?
Wonder how many tickets have been sold so far?
young_trig

Re: Re:

Postby young_trig Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:43 pm

6x6 wrote:According to the website, the 12 GBP is for the concession ticket. It appears the fee is added for each transaction not by the number of tics purchased. However, if you are not a student or over age 60, you need to buy the standard ticket and the booking fee for that is 17 GBP for a total of 167 ! The family plan, 2 parents w/2 kids under 16, is 400 with an additional booking fee of 42 gbp for a total of 442. I guess it's up to us to see what our bottom line is. If a student can get to 3 days of the 10 and watch 10 games or so, then 112 BGP is not too bad a deal.

I was slightly confused by your answer so I tested it for myself.
I can't believe it, the booking fee of £17 is added to each full-price ticket, not just the order!

Therefore, it is actually £167 per senior ticket.

Scandalous :x
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
petegriffin

Postby petegriffin Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:08 pm

They've been taking business tips from Ryanair...
Pete

Hillcroft A
DreadLAX
https://www.facebook.com/DreadLAX
mandy
Admin
Admin

Re:

Postby mandy Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:37 pm

petegriffin wrote:They've been taking business tips from Ryanair...

You mean they're going to charge a quid for going to the bog too :shock:
ahhh ... the whit
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:15 am

well thats my summer sorted. footy world cup it is. brilliant job ELA, really top class.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:35 pm

I have stayed out of this up until now because I have heard all the comments before a players forums and committee meetings and I mam honestly getting bored by it.

The booking fee is a rip off, but it is not the ELAs rip off. The same happens whenever tickets are sold through a booking agency, thay charge an admin fee that goes on the top of the cost. You might blame the ELA or FIL for giving the franchise to a company that charges such high fees but that will have been a commercial decision, the economics of the competition must be a nightmare!

Personally, I think the tickets are good value. I am getting the chance to get to watch 3 matches a day of top class lacrosse at a UK venue for a competion that may not be staged again here for 20 years. I don't know how much people pay to watch footballers make Premier League Asses out of themselves but I bet it works out more per game than the World Games.

Interestingly the parents of my U12s have discussed ticket prices and although they agree that the amount seems large, especially when you have to fork out for a family ticket, that it compares very well with say a day in Blackpool, or a weekend in London.

For me I am looking forward to two weeks of Lacrosse (including the community festival), meeting fans and players from all over the World, and meeting up with lots of old friends, it is going to be great so long as the weather gives us a break, and will be a cheap holiday, I am not going to let a whinge about booking fees spoil that
young_trig

Re:

Postby young_trig Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:39 pm

Moaning Git wrote:I have stayed out of this up until now because I have heard all the comments before a players forums and committee meetings and I mam honestly getting bored by it.

The booking fee is a rip off, but it is not the ELAs rip off. The same happens whenever tickets are sold through a booking agency, thay charge an admin fee that goes on the top of the cost. You might blame the ELA or FIL for giving the franchise to a company that charges such high fees but that will have been a commercial decision, the economics of the competition must be a nightmare!

Personally, I think the tickets are good value. I am getting the chance to get to watch 3 matches a day of top class lacrosse at a UK venue for a competion that may not be staged again here for 20 years. I don't know how much people pay to watch footballers make Premier League Asses out of themselves but I bet it works out more per game than the World Games.

Interestingly the parents of my U12s have discussed ticket prices and although they agree that the amount seems large, especially when you have to fork out for a family ticket, that it compares very well with say a day in Blackpool, or a weekend in London.

For me I am looking forward to two weeks of Lacrosse (including the community festival), meeting fans and players from all over the World, and meeting up with lots of old friends, it is going to be great so long as the weather gives us a break, and will be a cheap holiday, I am not going to let a whinge about booking fees spoil that

Says the local man.
I think you've missed the point somewhat!
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
Ash

Postby Ash Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:15 pm

By comparison on the booking I bought tickets to Glastonbury and Reading festival. Glastonbury booking fee was 4.50, Reading was similar. And before any on says volume or scale of the events we all know it's a lot cheaper for gigs and sporting events too!
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:51 pm

Says the local man.

Says the local man who also has a family, whose tickets he also has to purchase including the booking fee and being recently divorced is a little short of cash at the moment, but hey I am still not whinging!

I posted months ago that if people wanted help and advice on finding local accommodation on the cheap I would help out with that. You might even find that some clubs may consider allowing limited camping facilities to help other laxers. God, if I have found somewhere to live by then I may even offer sleeping space to those from far off places such as Leeds, Liverpool, or Rochdale just to help them out. Let the bloody idiots travelling over from Canada, the USA, Oz, Japan, Korea, etc sort themselves out, after all they have more money than sense. If I was them there is no way i would consider travelling half way across the World to watch these championships if they have to pay a booking fee. A bet they even stay in hotels the spendthrifts .......

And I am sorry but having checked and found that you can book a family room for 49 quid a night in south manchester over the period of the tournament that sleeps 4, I really do not see what the problem is. Seems to me that some folk just like to whinge! Try and get some perspective for Gods sake 8)

And i do agree that the ticket fee is extortionate, but again that is not the ELA's charge.
young_trig

Re:

Postby young_trig Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Moaning Git wrote:
Says the local man.

Says the local man who also has a family, whose tickets he also has to purchase including the booking fee and being recently divorced is a little short of cash at the moment, but hey I am still not whinging!

I posted months ago that if people wanted help and advice on finding local accommodation on the cheap I would help out with that. You might even find that some clubs may consider allowing limited camping facilities to help other laxers. God, if I have found somewhere to live by then I may even offer sleeping space to those from far off places such as Leeds, Liverpool, or Rochdale just to help them out. Let the bloody idiots travelling over from Canada, the USA, Oz, Japan, Korea, etc sort themselves out, after all they have more money than sense. If I was them there is no way i would consider travelling half way across the World to watch these championships if they have to pay a booking fee. A bet they even stay in hotels the spendthrifts .......

And I am sorry but having checked and found that you can book a family room for 49 quid a night in south manchester over the period of the tournament that sleeps 4, I really do not see what the problem is. Seems to me that some folk just like to whinge! Try and get some perspective for Gods sake 8)

And i do agree that the ticket fee is extortionate, but again that is not the ELA's charge.

Again mate, you're really not getting the point. For those people who are not on the doorstep and where holiday leave is at at a premium, I will probably only be able to make it across for a few evenings. So, paying £50 approx for petrol plus the £167 for the ticket, I may get to see 3 games for the generous price of £217, averaging just over £72 per game. Value for money? I haven't even added the cost of car-parking which in doubt will be charged also.

Lets say that I can some how manage to arrange a days holiday to come and get a full 3 games in one day. Am I still getting my monies worth? I'm really happy that you appear to be in a position where you can have plenty of time from work to watch all these games, but please spare a thought for all the people who don't live quite as close as you and maybe can't afford the time from work. Living in Leeds, I'm a little bit more closer than some people like Hull, Newcastle, or the southern teams. It's those guys I feel really sorry for.

I'm really happy for you Mancunians, but please spare a thought for those living further away.
I expected more of you, Moaning Git.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:40 pm

The point being made is why is there not the option to buy tickets on the day, or just for certain matches, or for day passes.

This way would give more flexibility to the consumer. Maybe charge a slightly higher price per game than the season ticket - eg a day pass could cost 40 and a one match ticket 15. Then people could go up for a day or two without shelling out 150 to watch 3 games of lacrosse, or people would have the option of going to an evening game after work.

I am not going to spend 150+ on a ticket when I will only be able to travel up for a Saturday and early Sunday (4 games).

The point is not the overall cost, which is not extoritonate at all if you go to most of the Blue Divison games for your 150 quid, but it is the lack of flexibility which will stop some people attending.
Dubai Lacrosse #3
Ash

Postby Ash Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:04 pm

The 2010 newsletter has just been distributed to the semla mailing list and confirms no day tickets to stadium games.

Thanks ela for alienating anyone outside of Manchester who can't just turn up to evening games etc or don't want to blow 700 quid on hotels on top of ridiculous ticket prices and travel costs. Perhaps we should just rename it the mancunian lacrosse association.
6x6

Re:

Postby 6x6 Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Moaning Git wrote:For me I am looking forward to meeting fans and players from all over the World

Moaning Git wrote:Let the bloody idiots travelling over from Canada, the USA, Oz, Japan, Korea, etc sort themselves out, after all they have more money than sense.

These two statements seem somewhat contradictory.

BTW MG, I found these volunteer positions for you, posted on the 2010 World Championship website. I'm sure you'll be the first choice of the selection committe.

Team Liaison Officer (TLO)

Each of the 30 Championship teams requires a local representative to make their life easier while they plan for the trip and for the two weeks that they are here in Manchester.

TLO must be very accessible and responsive via email and phone for the next ten months, and particularly from July 10-24

TLO must have a very good knowledge of Manchester

TLO must be open and patient with foreign cultures. (TLO may be assigned to any of the 30 countries).

Information Personnel

Provide fans and players with event information.

Knowledgeable about the local area.

Good communication skills - helpful and articulate.

If the ELA can't use you for hospitality duties I'm sure the Olympic organizers will be glad to have you. :wink:
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:43 am

6 x 6, sorry I was exercising a series of comments that slipped into sarcasm. I am just getting rather sick of the whinging on this thread which is now slipping into the usual... its ok for you mancunians crap!

People from all over the World will be travelling to the UK for what promises to be a fantastic celebration of Lacrosse. They will be spending a fortune in air fares and in accommodation costs, they do have the advantage of the weak pound, but even so their financial commitment is going to be very large. I have a number of friends aroun d the World who are travelling to Manchester for the championships and not one of them has complained about the cost.

Meanwhile UK "fans" seem to enjoy criticising the organisers more than supporting the event. I am planning to use my leave to watch the games and to help out at the festival. I know not everyone will be able to do that but I am sure everyone who can will aim to maximise their attendance. The debate seems to be about the availability of day tickets, but the other side of the argument is that people will want to see the Blue Division games in preference to the rest, so if 5000 season tickets are sold there will not be the capacity for day tickets, so are the ELA wrong to maximise the income they raise for the event? of course not, or maybe what we really want is the event to be a financial disaster and give people more stuff to moan about.

The season tickets are transferable. So different people can use the same ticket on different days, is it beyond the ability of clubs to arrange the sharing of tickets? I don't think so and I don't think the idea is ridiculous.

Of course the other thing to do is volunteer to help at the Championships maybe as a CBO, that will get you into games and even better you become inolved in the event. And finally, most of the people involved in organising the Championships are unsalaried volunteers, giving up their time for the benefit of Lacrosse in the UK. The ELA is always asking for more people to get involved as volunteers, so if you think you can do better, prove it and start standing for posts within the ELA organisation.
young_trig

Re:

Postby young_trig Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:01 am

Moaning Git wrote:6 x 6, sorry I was exercising a series of comments that slipped into sarcasm. I am just getting rather sick of the whinging on this thread which is now slipping into the usual... its ok for you mancunians crap!

People from all over the World will be travelling to the UK for what promises to be a fantastic celebration of Lacrosse. They will be spending a fortune in air fares and in accommodation costs, they do have the advantage of the weak pound, but even so their financial commitment is going to be very large. I have a number of friends aroun d the World who are travelling to Manchester for the championships and not one of them has complained about the cost.

Meanwhile UK "fans" seem to enjoy criticising the organisers more than supporting the event. I am planning to use my leave to watch the games and to help out at the festival. I know not everyone will be able to do that but I am sure everyone who can will aim to maximise their attendance. The debate seems to be about the availability of day tickets, but the other side of the argument is that people will want to see the Blue Division games in preference to the rest, so if 5000 season tickets are sold there will not be the capacity for day tickets, so are the ELA wrong to maximise the income they raise for the event? of course not, or maybe what we really want is the event to be a financial disaster and give people more stuff to moan about.

The season tickets are transferable. So different people can use the same ticket on different days, is it beyond the ability of clubs to arrange the sharing of tickets? I don't think so and I don't think the idea is ridiculous.

Of course the other thing to do is volunteer to help at the Championships maybe as a CBO, that will get you into games and even better you become inolved in the event. And finally, most of the people involved in organising the Championships are unsalaried volunteers, giving up their time for the benefit of Lacrosse in the UK. The ELA is always asking for more people to get involved as volunteers, so if you think you can do better, prove it and start standing for posts within the ELA organisation.

Again Mr Git, you are really missing the point!
The people who are travelling from other countries are using their holidays to travel to a foreign country and soak up the culture. They will get a better deal than most people as they have the oppurtunity to watch every single game with their season ticket.

What is it that you don't understand about the fact that there are a lot of people here in the Uk that would love to get to watch the games and want to get behind the ELA for bringing this fantastic tournie to our country? However, not everybody can afford the time from work like you and are therefore limited to the number of oppurtunities they will have to travel to Manchester to watch the games. I'm sorry Mr Git, but the season ticket is only good value to those people who live locally, or those who are taking a week or two off work.

I spoke to someone recently who is starting up a junior program in eastern england. He fully intended to organise a day trip for these juniors to go and watch a day of lacrosse at the world games. Now he has discovered that each child must pay £112 for their ticket plus travel expenses. But I suppose this will be ok for the rich kids hey?

Mr Git, I'm sure that most of the tickets will be sold and I'm also sure that the World Games will be a success. I just think its a shame that the games will only be enjoyed by international travelers or local manchester local people. I am confident that not all season tickets will be sold. The ELA have said that there are no day tickets available, but people can risk trying to get entry on the day. I'm sure a lot of local people will try this method and gain access on the day, thus filling the stadium. Do you really think people from outside the area are going to attempt to travel to manchester on the off-chance that they MIGHT get entry to the ground?

The 2010 World Games was a great chance to make elite lacrosse accessable to the whole of England for once. People are not necessarily having a go at the ELA, they are just disapointed that they will not be able to justify paying the high prices for such a small amount of lacrosse.

Mr Git, I eagerly await your reply informing us all that we are just liking a moan and that there is no problem. I look forward to you telling us all how much time you have off work this summer. I genuinly look forward to you considering that maybe not all people live as close or have as much time off work than you.

Rant over.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
jsgi

Re:

Postby jsgi Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

DommoBath wrote:The point being made is why is there not the option to buy tickets on the day, or just for certain matches, or for day passes.

This way would give more flexibility to the consumer. Maybe charge a slightly higher price per game than the season ticket - eg a day pass could cost 40 and a one match ticket 15. Then people could go up for a day or two without shelling out 150 to watch 3 games of lacrosse, or people would have the option of going to an evening game after work.

I am not going to spend 150+ on a ticket when I will only be able to travel up for a Saturday and early Sunday (4 games).

The point is not the overall cost, which is not extoritonate at all if you go to most of the Blue Divison games for your 150 quid, but it is the lack of flexibility which will stop some people attending.

I can understand the frustration of the ticket prices, although I don't think they are crazy, and don't get me started about the booking fee. (12% I believe which is crazy) And the problems experienced by the people travelling a long distance and struggling to get time off work (work uncertainty is causing me to miss out on trying to get into a festival team).

However If you look at if from a financial point of view you kinda have to sell you season tickets before you open any day or game tickets up for grabs, as you won't know haw many day or game tickets you can sell. In the bizarre situation where they sell 5000 season tickets you may be very unlucky and have no day or game tickets available, but when June comes along and they have only sold 3000 (2000 sold currently according to the newsletter) you may find that suddenly some smaller cheaper tickets (day and game) become available.

While the newsletter says "no day tickets on sale" it does not say "there will never be day tickets on sale", I just think the organisers don't want people to be thinking of day tickets when they would rather sell season tickets at this point in time.
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Mr Git, I eagerly await your reply informing us all that we are just liking a moan and that there is no problem. I look forward to you telling us all how much time you have off work this summer. I genuinly look forward to you considering that maybe not all people live as close or have as much time off work than you.

Hmmm sorry to disappoint you, but your "reasoning" makes no sense to me. Apparently you seem to think that is I use 2 weeks leave out of my annual 30 days to travel half way across the World costings say £1000 in flights and accommodation to spend my time watching Lacrosse and drinking in local culture along with a lot of beers then that is ok.

But if I use the same two weeks to spend half of the time helping in the running of the Community Festival, and the second week watching the competion matches for which I have paid for season tickets for me and my kids then I am some sort of self satisfied thoughtless pr***K. Incidently my kids will not be able to attend all the sessions because of their educational commitments, but I don't feel fiddled on their tickets. I do understand though that some people will feel disenfranchised by the dates, ticket prices and location, but is that not always the case? Lets say for a moment that the Championships were being held in say London, I would still be attending them and taking my leave to do so. Those whose work means they cannot take leave will still be in the same situation whwether tey live in Manchester or Wandsworth, so cut out the Regional comments.

So the issue is tickets. Most people are going to want to watch The Blue Division games, especially the USA, Canada, and England fixtures and of course the Final stage matches. Seating for these could be upto 7500 depending on guranteed ticket sales but the working figure has been 5000. FIL rules mean a proportion of those go to competing countries players, officials etc. There is no choice in that. So if 3000 season tickets are sold, whih include the Finals, then say there are 750 seats potentially left for individual sale, how do you allocate them on a daily ticket basis? Queue up on the day? Sell online? Raffle them? Distribute amongst clubs? Whichever you choose to do you are being unfair to someone.

Anyway, I don't feel there is anything further to be gained in this debate, I can see that opinions are set and will not be moved, and the traditional anti-manchester thread is also present which is simple biggotry for which I have no time, so have fun guys!
6x6

Re:

Postby 6x6 Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Moaning Git wrote:6 x 6, sorry I was exercising a series of comments that slipped into sarcasm. I am just getting rather sick of the whinging on this thread which is now slipping into the usual... its ok for you mancunians crap!

No problem sir, I surmised as much. We too have geographical arguements/disagreements in the states. Many who can't afford the trip would like to see the NCAA finals weekend moved. Yet, I doubt they will leave the northeast for a long time depsite the explosion of lacrosse in places like Florida, Calif, Texas, Colorado, Michigan, Illinois etc. Denver especially draws huge crowds to their MLL and NLL games.

As far as the "weak pound" goes, yes it's down from the 2/1 ratio I've paid in the past when visiting but it still hurts a lot for me even at the 1 GBP/1.68 dollars I paid when over a couple months ago. Anyway, I'm hoping to make it over for the games as the wife is always looking for an excuse to fly over and visit family. Perhaps I'll see someone scalping their season tickets outside the venue :mrgreen:

Return to “FIL World Championships”