Box Lacrosse league

All other men's leagues and teams including Europe and the USA

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Joolsmonkeyboy

Box Lacrosse league

Postby Joolsmonkeyboy Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi all, wanted to put it out there to gauge interest, but I'm putting together a Box league to start playing later this year. Using the FIL rules, slightly modified to suit available venues and equipment but as close as possible in every other way.
Looking starting off with a 4 team league initially, then looking to expand as required.
Why? It's fast and fun and a highly successfully method of improving lacrosse players skills-thing how big a regular goal will seem after shooting at the 4x4 goal and the mammoth in front of it?
Working on sponsorship at present and sourcing equipment. Plans are to run a 6-8 week league structure with pro quality jerseys and medals (dependant on players).
A PDF is available to give more info and a Facebook page is shortly opening (search Southern Box Lacrosse League), so if you fancy playing some indoors after the field season has finished and you can get down to the south coast (planned venue is in Chichester, however this could be altered if there is a need) please reply on here or PM me.
Look forward to hearing for you

J
Rotisserie

Re: Box Lacrosse league

Postby Rotisserie Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Might draw more people if it was based closer to London. I'd be very keen to get involved though. Never played box but would love to try it, although I'd need to invest in some extra padding. What would the format be? and where are the four teams expected to be from?
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:28 pm

I'd definitely be interested in finding out more

Who do you have Coaching teams so far?

Coaching not playing for me unless you have some XXXL Goalie equipment?

When, Where, How etc usual story?
Joolsmonkeyboy

Postby Joolsmonkeyboy Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:00 pm

The plan is to for the initial teams out of the players interested, that way geography needn't be an issue. It may be that as interest increases teams can be based in specific locations.
Would like to have a draft day where players can have a few pick up games and go through the rules before teams are picked for the up coming season.
Coaches are still to be decided and are vacant at present, have a few people in mind but always keen to hear from interested parties.
Goalie equipment is going to be order shortly and in theory should fit most potential goalies-I'm not a particularly slim player!
jonfast

Postby jonfast Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:38 pm

When are you looking to run this?
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:39 pm

Pm me and let me know how we can help with refs. There are a few of us who have refereed box lacrosse and I have refereed box in Canada
Joolsmonkeyboy

Postby Joolsmonkeyboy Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Dates are to be confirmed but aiming for a late August/september date I would think to allow for equipment to arrive and funding to happen, or else my credit card might not make it through the set up costs! :)
I am aiming to get everyone who wants to play/coach/ref together before hand for the draft day though and a few scrimmages. Let the coaches make some notes on who's who and draft potential.
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Joolsmonkeyboy wrote:Dates are to be confirmed but aiming for a late August/september date I would think to allow for equipment to arrive and funding to happen, or else my credit card might not make it through the set up costs! :)
I am aiming to get everyone who wants to play/coach/ref together before hand for the draft day though and a few scrimmages. Let the coaches make some notes on who's who and draft potential.

Good luck with the whole project, I've got some Box Lacrosse Coaching DVDs (x4) from Johnny Mouradian and some Box Lacrosse Level 3 Coaching Manuals care of Stan "The Man" Cockerton with Box Lacrosse Drills and philosophy also a couple of Box Lacrosse Coaching Books by Jim Hinkson
and some Mini-DV tapes of the WILC 2003 Scotland Team with legendary players (Coaches) Paul Suggate, Troy Cordingley & Dave Succamore (sp?)

Jim Hinkson (Books)
- http://lacrossefundamentals.com/temp/index.html
Lacrosse Fundamentals - (Jim Hinkson)
Team Strategies - (Jim Hinkson)
Lacrosse For Dummies - (Jim Hinkson)

Johnny Mouradian (DVD Set)
- http://www.championshipproductions.com/ ... eTn9JbbbXW
The Basics of Indoor Lacrosse - (Johnny Mouradian)
Indoor Lacrosse: Offensive and Defensive Drills - (Johnny Mouradian)
Indoor Lacrosse: Alley System, Pick Series and Screen Series - (Johnny Mouradian)
Indoor Lacrosse: Goaltending Technique and Drills - (Johnny Mouradian)

Also check out Larry Power's (Wamper) "Bible of Lacrosse"
http://wampsbibleoflacrosse.com/

Lots of good FREE stuff online about Box Lacrosse
BoxFan

Postby BoxFan Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Love the enthusiasm,

Sent Pm, I can help with coaching and getting core group of Box experince players from London Knights. I also have a goal Keeping equipment and Jerseys.

Where have you played Lax before??
Joolsmonkeyboy

Postby Joolsmonkeyboy Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Only played a few pick up games indoors, but have followed Box for the last 7-8 years. Played some street hockey and combined that with lax before coming to lax full time a little over a year ago!

(Sent you a PM)

J
Joolsmonkeyboy

Postby Joolsmonkeyboy Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:38 am

HI all, just a quick update on how things are progressing, well a number of developments have happened so things are moving along at a brisk pace so fingers crossed not long until the initial meet up now!
Can I ask that anyone who is interested in playing, coaching, officiating or just wanting to be involved please check out...

http://www.facebook.com/SouthernBoxLacrosseLeague

I will then send out a players pack to you all in due course.

Many thanks

Jools
salmiakki

Postby salmiakki Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:14 am

Hi guys,

We're building a rink in Fareham that'd be ideal for box lacrosse. It'll also be cheap because we're a non-profit that's been set up to benefit non-mainstream sports. The rink will be in Fareham and we're pricing it at 40% cheaper than the brickwalled leisure centre down the road so cost won't become a barrier for anyone and it'll be purpose-built for the sport.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance - we might even be able to help out with the initial costs of settings things up.

All the best,
Setti @ Salmiakki Sports
http://www.facebook.com/Salmiakki

Return to “Other Men's”