Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Steely Dan

Following on from the Goalie Clamp question in mens rules

Postby Steely Dan Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:13 pm

Chippie,

What do teh mixed rules state about the following situation:

On the clear the goalie is in the crease, as he clears his stick follow through making stick contact with another player.

Considering that even in mens if the ball is still in the stick, its a flag. How does this stand with mixed?

I see it as a relatively significant part of the mixed game as stick to stick contact is quite common in mxed due to the way you need to defend, however if a goalie is making tactical use of his time in the crease to allow his players to make off ball movement he subsequently risks a bad clear as a result of the offense covering his stick.

So, whats the deal? :lol:
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
KingOfStaffs

Postby KingOfStaffs Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:00 pm

Notice that you haven't got a reply so I'll give it a go although my suggestions are not legally binding.
I would suggest in the situation that the goalie is not a fault. As the player with the ball he/she can pass it out from their crease in the normal fashion. I would consider that if the keeper hit the defending player in the body ie the head this would be a dangerous follow through which would be a foul. If the keeper just made unavoidable contact with the defenders shaft (probably what the defender intended) this would not be a foul as long as there was no malice involved.

Hope this helps......Good luck to any ref who refs a mixed game when the rules are slightly blurred from team to team. Good news about the mixed rule book chippie good work.
cjlax

Postby cjlax Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:03 pm

Good luck to a ref in a mixed game full stop!
Steely Dan

Postby Steely Dan Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:13 pm

Cheers for the reply. It seems that you see it as possibly being a goalie foul on the dangerous follow through whereas the angle I was taking is that it is a foul from the defender interfering with the clear (as in mens).

I personally do not see how the goalie can make aparticularly long pass without a followthrough.

Which brings me on to my next thought, surely correct basic passing and shooting technique requires you to have a full follow through whereby the lower arm should end up resting next to the inside of elbow of the top arm (as per old laxtalk article)?

If this is the case how can you teach correct lacrosse technique and then pull people up for it in a game as a dangerous follow through becuase you initiate contact?
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
Rian

Postby Rian Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:49 pm

I think the rule is that:

where any part of the goalie's body is within/touching the crease line; and

an opposition player makes contact with any part of the goalie (including the stick);

the opposition player is interfering with the goalie and has committed a foul.
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
Wolfey1313

Postby Wolfey1313 Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:02 am

I agree. I think thats right. Basically its almost impossible to badger the goalie in mixed when there in the crease
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
KingOfStaffs

Postby KingOfStaffs Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:56 am

Steely Dan wrote:If this is the case how can you teach correct lacrosse technique and then pull people up for it in a game as a dangerous follow through becuase you initiate contact?

This is an interesting point, I have often wondered about good ground ball technique. I believe that the correct technique is to plonk your foot next to ball while coming in low with two hands and scooping through.

The point of using your foot is to shield the ball from the other team, in mens this is not so much of an issue cause of the contact and similarly in womens, but in mixed is it obstruction?
Rian

Postby Rian Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:49 pm

Not if you are actually going for the ball. Usually you'd be running through and planting your foot on one step and setting off the next step in one smooth motion so you'd not be obstructing.
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
mully

Postby mully Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:33 pm

The thing is, Steely Dan, yes you do need to follow through to make a good clear, but I think it'd be common sense to step a bit further back next to the goal (by not clearing right in front of the goal also to eliminate f**k ups that the ball may fall back into your own goal) so you know you won't come into contact with the defence's stick.

Having always played women's and mixed, I'd say I would always try to find somewhere in the crease (or outside the crease) well away from any defence to clear.
ladies goalkeeper for hire

Return to “Mixed Lacrosse Rules”