Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of the ELA men's rules can be found here
davidmcculloch81

Lacrosse Scotland

Postby davidmcculloch81 Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 am

Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Fourteen

Re: Lacrosse Scotland

Postby Fourteen Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Kudos.

The ELA wouldn't have the cojones to do it...
Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:26 pm

Agree it's balls-on-the-line stuff. Excellent to see and I hope it succeeds due to its radical nature alone.

Throws up a couple of questions in my mind - which I am sure have been considered:

- Does this follow a blueprint or has it been thought up by LS?
- I'm assuming that individual rewards don't have to be spent on club development. Have they therefore considered influx of players from elsewhere, looking for the payday? If I were considering Universities right now then this would feature in my thoughts - a bit of help towards fees, potentially
- How would this affect the overall goal of development of Scottish Lacrosse? Could argue a good thing that the league is attracting better players; but can't help thinking of current English football debate around influx of foreign players stunting national team growth
- Have LS considered potential for corruption and reliable statistic-taking? Certainly a need to drive out any ambiguity and subjectivity. Appendix goes some way to do this but certainly a complex system

Finally, what's been the interest and take-up so far? Have clubs expressed an interest to join the Premiership setup?

Good luck anyway - wish I was ten years younger and Scottish*.

* well, ten years younger anyway :wink:
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:35 pm

:lol:
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
plainnash

Postby plainnash Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Great stuff from Lacrosse Scotland.
If anyone there reads this, might it be worth adding in a best goalkeeper incentive as well? Seems like all other positions are covered.
Dave Nash
University of Birmingham and Birmingham City - No. 88
Wales U19/U21 2011-12 - No. 2
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:03 pm

Seems like a good idea. Wouldn't want to be on the stats team though - recording up to 3 "hockey" assists is going to be tough.

Also are there any restrictions on winning the same awards consecutively? I can see a situation where one team has a really dominant player (e.g. a college yank) who could scoop the top points scorer (and potentially MVP) every weekend.
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 am

Rotisserie wrote:Also are there any restrictions on winning the same awards consecutively? I can see a situation where one team has a really dominant player (e.g. a college yank) who could scoop the top points scorer (and potentially MVP) every weekend.

and....?

Sorry Rotisserie, this isn't aimed solely at you, it also encompasses a general pet hate.

Premiership, international, "elite" or what ever the top level is we are talking about, lacrosse at this level is not about giving everyone a jolly good time. It's not about making sure everyone has equal game time or making sure everyone has equal applause. We are lucky enough to have a tiered system in the UK which allows players of any level to get involved at a level that suits them. If they wish to push forward they have the opportunity to do so by pushing for the 1st team or changing club.

It's not someone's right to play 1st team because they feel like they should, it's not someone's right to get equal game time to the "super star yank" who scores 10 points a game. It's not someone's right to win the MVP prize money just because it's "their turn".

MVP means 'most valuable player' not 'player who did really well for their own playing ability'. When I'm asked to vote after a game that's how I approach it, if it means voting for the same player every week because they truly did have the biggest impact on the game then so be it. I don't believe in voting for the 2nd teamer who came up to fill a spot, didn't make too many mistakes and made a good account of them selves. But that's just my opinion.

I love the look of what Lacrosse Scotland are trying to do on paper and hope it works out. It looks like they are really trying to create an 'elite' environment to promote competition. Hopefully this will have the desired result and push Scottish players to improve.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Mr.Stanford wrote:
MVP means 'most valuable player' not 'player who did really well for their own playing ability'. When I'm asked to vote after a game that's how I approach it, if it means voting for the same player every week because they truly did have the biggest impact on the game then so be it. I don't believe in voting for the 2nd teamer who came up to fill a spot, didn't make too many mistakes and made a good account of them selves. But that's just my opinion.

I completely agree but I think most of us are just too British about it. I personally wouldn't have a problem with the same person scooping the prize every week but a) other people might moan or get discouraged (this WILL happen even if its just the minority) and b) the judges who vote for the MVP might feel they are being more "fair" by awarding it to different people each week.
Phil D

Postby Phil D Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Lacrosse Scotland wrote:

The money should be spent on the development of your team or lacrosse in general. For instance, you could buy jerseys, balls, pitch hire, or a bus and petrol to Manchester to play lacrosse, or anything similar.

:lol:

Phil
Pete_Brum

Postby Pete_Brum Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Did it say where the matches should be held?

Sounds loads of fun to me! Spectators could go and see whichever game they wanted aswell!

Return to “Men's”