ProLaxShop

Goalies - do you have to field a goalie?

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
UKLacrosse

Goalies - do you have to field a goalie?

Postby UKLacrosse Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 am

Interesting question arose at the weekend. Goalie was late arriving - question was 'can you start the game without a goalie?'
For sure you can withdraw the goalie during the game, as we saw at the World Championships Final in Manchester, 2010. It happens regularly in box lacrosse.
However, is there anything in the rules that say you have to start the game with a goalie? The ruling given at the time, was that have to, but does that make any sense?
How do you referee the game, ensuring that no one literally takes up permanent position in the goal without the correct equipment?

Another interesting question arose from the Flags Semi-Final, when the goalie broke his head? How long can you stop the game to replace it? Is it just good sportsmanship to allow time for the goalie to switch heads on a shaft, taking 5 mins to do so? What if the stringing/ pocket breaks rather than the head? This could be a really good tactical move to get a pause in the game at a crucial moment?
young_trig

Re: Goalies - do you have to field a goalie?

Postby young_trig Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:17 pm

UKLacrosse wrote:Interesting question arose at the weekend. Goalie was late arriving - question was 'can you start the game without a goalie?'
For sure you can withdraw the goalie during the game, as we saw at the World Championships Final in Manchester, 2010. It happens regularly in box lacrosse.
However, is there anything in the rules that say you have to start the game with a goalie? The ruling given at the time, was that have to, but does that make any sense?
How do you referee the game, ensuring that no one literally takes up permanent position in the goal without the correct equipment?

Another interesting question arose from the Flags Semi-Final, when the goalie broke his head? How long can you stop the game to replace it? Is it just good sportsmanship to allow time for the goalie to switch heads on a shaft, taking 5 mins to do so? What if the stringing/ pocket breaks rather than the head? This could be a really good tactical move to get a pause in the game at a crucial moment?

Good questions. I'm not too sure of the current position but I know that the new FIL mens rules as agreed at the latest MPC and circulated to clubs states that there must always be a designated keeper on the pitch. The designated keeper must have a throat guard and chest protector (it makes no mention of a keeper stick). Therefore under the new rules, a team would not be able to play without a designated keeper.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Trigg, I can understand why you would consider such a rule, simply because of the issue with safety when a defender seeks to take the place of the keeper,
and the ref trying to determine if that has happened without the regulation equipment. However, has that now been implemented, because the ruling given
was in line with that, rather than what might have applied prior to rule changes.
young_trig

Postby young_trig Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:23 pm

UKLacrosse wrote:Trigg, I can understand why you would consider such a rule, simply because of the issue with safety when a defender seeks to take the place of the keeper,
and the ref trying to determine if that has happened without the regulation equipment. However, has that now been implemented, because the ruling given
was in line with that, rather than what might have applied prior to rule changes.

Errmm......whats the question?
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:59 pm

The ruling given at the weekend was that you must start with a designated keeper fully equipped. However, you suggested that the rule changes have been agreed by the MPC but have been circulated for approval by the clubs? That means the ruling was somewhat premature?
whopead

Postby whopead Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:12 pm

I feel that it would be unsporting and Dangerous to start a game without a designated and equipt goalkeeper.
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:00 pm

whopead wrote:I feel that it would be unsporting and Dangerous to start a game without a designated and equipt goalkeeper.

Why unsporting Matt? Canada removed their keeper near the end of the World's Final in Manchester, 2010. I can understand why you would seek
to change the the rules, to prevent that, simply on safety grounds. The danger is that another player might seek to take the absent goalie's place, without the
necessary protection. Not sure how the ref would have dealt with that situation.
MAD

Postby MAD Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 pm

The rules as quoted by Trig are currently within the 2010 English rules.
There is nothing within those rules about a limiting time for a repair to the goal keepers stick.But i will ask the opinion of the refs at the next association meeting.
Nor is there a requirement for a goalkeepers stick, to be on field.
to Clarify

17.1 All players are required to wear protective gloves, suitable boots or shoes, and a protective helmet equipped with a face-mask and a chinstrap which must be properly fastened on both sides.
In addition, the designated goalkeeper shall wear a throat guard, a chest protector and a box/cup.
These shall be standard items of field lacrosse equipment.

47.3 If the designated goalkeeper leaves the field of play and is not replaced by another player using a goalkeeper’s stick, then the following rules shall apply:
i) If the designated goalkeeper exchanges crosses with a team-mate prior to leaving the field, then that player shall be deemed to be the designated goalkeeper until such time as the crosses are re-exchanged.
ii) If there is no goalkeeper’s crosse in use by a team at any time, then the captain or coach of that team must nominate a player to act as the designated goalkeeper.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”