ProLaxShop

The plung and pop

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Hickey7

The plung and pop

Postby Hickey7 Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:19 pm

As a ref and a face off midi I know A how to cheat on faces and B how to spot someone cheating.

What I can't quiet understand is that I get penalized for plunging and popping the ball.

Clamping the ball not fully just half way before bringing the head around the opponent in a C shape and popping the ball up so I can catch it and run.

I have been called several times for the ball stuck in the stick. When the ball is clearly not stuck, it passes a stick check it is only a technique.

Personally I dont call it when reffing, as the pro's use it. Ill upload some photo's so we are all clear when I get the time.
Canterbury Christ Church University#73 2008-2011
Southampton Sabres Captain #73 - 2011 - ??
South England

Team Chris Griffiths
'Lacrosse is a very fashionable game, all colours must match and be Pink'.
UKLaxfan

Re: The plung and pop

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm

What do the officials call against you when you use The Plunger (Pinch & Pop)?

Withholding ball from play?

It should be a speed move in one continuous motion...

curious :?:
Fourteen

Postby Fourteen Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:31 pm

The plung and pop

I'm sure an ex once asked me to perform a similair manouver in the bedroom....
Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:53 am

UKLaxfan wrote:What do the officials call against you when you use The Plunger (Pinch & Pop)?

For me it depends on how the pop goes, if it goes smoothly and the ball comes right out. No problems.

If it stays in the back of the head it's withholding.
the pom

Postby the pom Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:38 am

Most refs will call you if you come away from the face with the ball on the back of your stick if it is stuck or just sat on the back.

So you just have to asses how good the ref is and change your method if the ref is not up to scratch

Or next time you come up with the ball in the back of the stick and it is not stuck get his attention walk up to him tip your stick over where he can see it the ball will drop out. Every one will see he is wrong he will know every one knows he was wrong and then he will give you a minute for unsportsmanlike as you have proved him wrong but then you will probably be able carry the ball on the back of your stick after that.
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:05 am

Pom, you see these things so simply .... change your name to 'lacrosse agony aunt'
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Hickey7

Postby Hickey7 Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 pm

the pom wrote:Or next time you come up with the ball in the back of the stick and it is not stuck get his attention walk up to him tip your stick over where he can see it the ball will drop out. Every one will see he is wrong he will know every one knows he was wrong and then he will give you a minute for unsportsmanlike as you have proved him wrong but then you will probably be able carry the ball on the back of your stick after that.

This I will try - its our "home" ref he is not my number 1 fan.

Sour37 wrote:
UKLaxfan wrote:What do the officials call against you when you use The Plunger (Pinch & Pop)?

For me it depends on how the pop goes, if it goes smoothly and the ball comes right out. No problems.

If it stays in the back of the head it's withholding.

Its not staying in the stick - it is as i do the C - cut away from the head of the opponent and bring it up to pop it into the air to catch it I am called for with holding. it does come out if turned upside down, i do it this way as its quicker than clamp and raking forwards to pick up the ground ball. Frustrating have spent so much time practicing it to then not be able to ever use it in a game!
Canterbury Christ Church University#73 2008-2011
Southampton Sabres Captain #73 - 2011 - ??
South England

Team Chris Griffiths
'Lacrosse is a very fashionable game, all colours must match and be Pink'.
jibbers

Postby jibbers Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:14 pm

It needs clarifying through the summer by the refs. I would do legal moves (in the back of stick but not stuck) and daft refs (not all) would call me for the ball being stuck..when it wasn't..(Pom as my witness). They really need to know what they are calling, and stop p**sing on someone's chips for mastering a very skillful move.

If any ref's are reading this.....IT'S A LEGAL MOVE.....SORT IT OUT!
Mersey
Hickey7

Postby Hickey7 Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Agreed
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Subtle difference between being stuck on the back and carrying it on the back. More often than not these balls are stuck on the back. Only guidance I give here is that if you were to showboat that in front of me to prove me wrong I would say, my error and then throw a flag for UC.

We don't suggest that the referees automatically call a ball stuck in the back of the stick, but as I said there are many less skillful players who rather than win the face off fair and square, cheat in order to win the face off. The referees are not going to be 100%, but then again neither is a face off guy's win %.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:07 am

dblacklock wrote:Subtle difference between being stuck on the back and carrying it on the back. More often than not these balls are stuck on the back. Only guidance I give here is that if you were to showboat that in front of me to prove me wrong I would say, my error and then throw a flag for UC.

We don't suggest that the referees automatically call a ball stuck in the back of the stick, but as I said there are many less skillful players who rather than win the face off fair and square, cheat in order to win the face off. The referees are not going to be 100%, but then again neither is a face off guy's win %.

Wisdom imparted...

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”