ProLaxShop

Stick Checks

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
dblacklock

Re: Stick Checks

Postby dblacklock Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:04 pm

The stick check procedure has been detailed for all those that have attended referee courses. So here it is.

First the call must be made by the Head Coach or in the absence of a Haed Coach the Captain of the team can make the request.

1) Measure the width (inside measurement) at the widest point. This season 4-10 inches.
2) Measure the distance from the edge of the ball stop (or plastic if there is no ball stop) - min 10 inches
3) Measure the length of the stick tip to tip - 40-42" (short stick) 52-72"(Long Stick)
4) Measure any hanging strings (maximum of 2 inches)
5) measure the side walls of the stick maximum of 2"
6) Inspect for butt end or ensure it is sufficiently taped
7) Inspect the mesh of the stick to make sure it is predominantly of one colour
8) Check for pocket depth - Drop the ball in and see if you can see light over the top of the ball
9) Check to see if the ball falls freely. To do this. Hold the stick horizontal and bring the stick in a slow motion from horizontal over 180 degrees. If the ball is stuck the stick it is illegal. Don''t roll the ball in the stick from side to side. if it does not stick the first time do not repeat.
10) Check to see if there is any trick stringing - designed for the purpose of witholding the ball.
11) Do not check the back of the stick as there is no provision for it in the rule book.

Hope this helps.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.
Dutchlaxer

Postby Dutchlaxer Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Hasn't inside width measurements changed to 6-10 inches at the widest point?
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Postby rpowell Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Dutchlaxer wrote:Hasn't inside width measurements changed to 6-10 inches at the widest point?

Yes, you are right - the FIL rules changed last Summer.

But the English rules have a dispensation for this season, so the old rules apply. You can still use box-sticks.
Same in Scotland.
Not the same in BUCS! They are playing to FIL rules, unless they've updated their regulations since I looked before Christmas.

Sensible decision - it would be a bit harsh for a stick you played with May 2010 to be illegal at the first game of the season Spetember 2010. So people have a season to sort out a new stick, if they were using one too narrow for field lacrosse.
laxambition

Postby laxambition Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:17 pm

rpowell wrote:
Sensible decision - it would be a bit harsh for a stick you played with May 2010 to be illegal at the first game of the season Spetember 2010. So people have a season to sort out a new stick, if they were using one too narrow for field lacrosse.

more to the point, because the English rule change was not affected until January- I.e. Part-way through the season, a stick you played with the last game before Christmas would not have been legal for the first game in January

Hence the dispensation until the start of next season

Judging by the number of goals disallowed due to hanging strings, I won't be at all surprised to find people still playing with their old, and thus illegal, sticks in September
The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily represent Reading Wildcats Lacrosse Club, SEMLA or, indeed, anybody else......but that doesn't mean that it's not what they're all thinking!
P.Pexton

Postby P.Pexton Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:24 pm

Having a quick look over the above stick checking procedures I haven't seen anything about bends in the shaft. What are the rules for bent sticks? Is there a limit? And if so do refs now have to carry protractors in order to measure any bend? :roll:
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:03 pm

If we were refereeing games below the 49th parallel the referees would need a protractor to measure the camber inthe shaft. But since we are playing international Rules and not NCAA, the bent shaft is legal.
Don Blacklock

DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 pm

dblacklock wrote:9) Check to see if the ball falls freely. To do this. Hold the stick horizontal and bring the stick in a slow motion from horizontal over 180 degrees. If the ball is stuck the stick it is illegal. Don''t roll the ball in the stick from side to side. if it does not stick the first time do not repeat.

Just to be clear, when you say bring it over 180 degrees, are we talking about rolling the stick so it remains horizontal throughout the action but the pocket opens downwards or are we talking about rotating the stick end over end? If the latter, does the head go up or down?
Chichester Crusaders Coach.
Portsmouth Uni #66 - once upon a time.
Southampton Sabres #66 - a long time ago.
Army #7 - Tri-Services 2009

Coming soon to a sideline near you, complete with camera.
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:52 am

Stick starts horizontal, face up. It rotates so that the head travels upward, through vertical, then down to horizontal. face down.
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Here is a graphic (thanks for the help in posting an image - opens up a whole new world) on the procedure to check a stick.

Check the depth of the pocket

Now check whether the ball dislodges. Do this once only. This is not the best 2 out of 3.

Stick Check Illustration.jpg
Stick Check Illustration.jpg (63.9 KiB) Viewed 9244 times

I hope this clears it up.
Don Blacklock

FarmerDan

Postby FarmerDan Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:36 am

The pocket looks too deep on that stick from the very start...Or a very small ball.
Princess

Postby Princess Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:47 am

sorry being a dunce changes in width mean no more box sticks NOT NCAA 2010 style requirements correct? :oops:
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO
webby

Postby webby Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:57 am

Princess wrote:sorry being a dunce changes in width mean no more box sticks NOT NCAA 2010 style requirements correct? :oops:

NCAA sticks are fine. The rule means it must be 6inches at the widest point (the top), instead of 4inches as before. Traditional heads are approx 6.5inches, NCAA (2010) heads are 6-6.5inches.

Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:36 pm

That is correct, for all intensive purposes the box stick is now illegal for FIL play. games played under the ELA rule set can use a 4-10 stick until the beginning of the 2011-12 season in September.
Don Blacklock

dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:44 pm

I refereed a game today where two more goals were called back due to?
>
>
>
>
>
.>
>

Yup you guessed it - hanging strings longer than 2". Guys, this is a simple fix that a pair of scissors can take care of. You just need to do it. I would hope by now that every player will now know that this is illegal, but obviously I have been proven wrong.

I suspect that we will see a lot of these calls at the flags weekend. Referees, remmeber to bring your tape measure.
Don Blacklock

UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:55 pm

dblacklock wrote:I refereed a game today where two more goals were called back due to?
Yup you guessed it - hanging strings longer than 2".

Name and shame which game was this at?
hatswell

Postby hatswell Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:08 am

Don't know if it's relevant to that convo, but take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeWUS6l6 ... e=youtu.be
There's no such thing as 'OFF-SEASON'
LAXLoofer

Postby LAXLoofer Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:13 am

I'd say not completely relevant but closely related, as it's dealing with stick checks. Think "scrubbing" might induce Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty (stick tampering prior to stick check). Definitely wash-out the goal if spotted by a zebra.

45.5 If a goal has been scored with a stick and, before the next live ball, that stick is declared illegal for any
reason, then the goal will not count.
If a goal has been scored with a stick and a stick-check has been legally called on that stick then, if the
player or a team-mate or any member of his squad, coach or anyone officially connected with the team
touches the head or the stringing of the stick or carries out any action which is an attempt to
circumvent the stick-check or an attempt to alter the result of the stick-check, prior to the carrying out
of the stick-check, then the goal will not count.
Born-again stickbrain(tm) :lol:
Colchester LC #69
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 pm

hatswell wrote:Don't know if it's relevant to that convo, but take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeWUS6l6 ... e=youtu.be

Interesting. So long as the body scrub is done prior to the referee asking for the stick to conduct a stick check - legal play. Do it after he has asked for it and 3min UC + goal is wiped out.
Don Blacklock

dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:03 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:
dblacklock wrote:I refereed a game today where two more goals were called back due to?
Yup you guessed it - hanging strings longer than 2".

Name and shame which game was this at?

Not important, but what i did think was interesting was that they thought it was legal becuase I did nto tell them about the rule change prior to the game. Guys, much as you expect us to know the rules we expect you to know the rules as well. Competitive advantage goes to the team that has the most players and coaches that know the rules.
Don Blacklock

Murray

Postby Murray Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Can somebody please clarify what the call would be if: a player scores, stick check called on them, their pocket is too deep (clear cm of daylight between ball and head of stick)?

My interpretation of it would be that it is illegal and a 3min penalty, or does this also fall under the 30second rule as with strings longer than 2”?

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”