ProLaxShop

Faking?

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Moo

Faking?

Postby Moo Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:57 am

Is there a rule to stop "trick shots" in a way.. a lot of experienced players that i see know a lot of trick shots and there is the classic fake throw to a team mate to confuse the defender..

Is it illegal to pretend to throw the ball to a team mate and make that play run away to confuse the defender?

There is also a trick shot where u pretend to shoot the ball and gloat for the Fake goal after making the goalie drop his guard then quickly shooting.. are things like this illegal?

I can see it being unsportsmanlike however in fun games against teams it could be funny if legal?

Thanks!
Northampton University (2008 - 2009) - Number 42
Oxford Brookes University (2009 - 2012) - Number 3
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:09 am

Perfectly legal.

Though if the teams a are completely miss-matched and the dominant team constantly does this, the ref might have word with them to play within the spirit of the game.

This occassionally happens when teams try the hidden ball trick.
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:23 am

Play to the whistle not a players reaction!
Moo

Postby Moo Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:18 pm

beautiful banter!

cheers guys.
webby

Postby webby Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:42 pm

It's just another skill to develop and work on, and a very useful one to have in the arsenal. The defending player and goalie should not be silly enough to fall for it, but believe me it happens a lot!

It's no different than faking a pass/shot in football, a deak in ice hockey or a fake field goal attempt in American football.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
6x6

Postby 6x6 Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Talk about trick plays, how about the Armadillo! 1982 game North Carolina vs. Washington and Lee. Play part one. W&L score to make it 1-0, then employ the "Armadillo" to slow down the dominate Tar Heel offense. You'll see it around 3 mins into the tape. Not great video but pretty funny as nobody knew what to do.

http://wlarmadillo.com/armadillo-part1.htm

Note: Mike Pressler, current coach at Bryant and head coach for the U.S. team competing in Manchester is playing D for W&L.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
Moo

Postby Moo Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:35 am

yeah i've seen that one before.. NEVER saw this one before about 10 seconds ago..

Its called the same thing but its different. is this legal? someone writes its illegal :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlen96vVgiA

Very cheeky move though - HOW WOULD YOU EVER DEFEND AGAINST IT?!?!?! apart from obliterate everyone on the pitch.
snooplax

Re:

Postby snooplax Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:27 am

6x6 wrote:Talk about trick plays, how about the Armadillo! 1982 game North Carolina vs. Washington and Lee. Play part one. W&L score to make it 1-0, then employ the "Armadillo" to slow down the dominate Tar Heel offense. You'll see it around 3 mins into the tape. Not great video but pretty funny as nobody knew what to do.

http://wlarmadillo.com/armadillo-part1.htm

Note: Mike Pressler, current coach at Bryant and head coach for the U.S. team competing in Manchester is playing D for W&L.

Great find! After the timeout the in the mddle with the all is in fact using a very short goalie stick with a HUGE pocket. :lol:
Got to love the fact that a coach had the balls to try something new. 8)
mandy
Admin
Admin

Re:

Postby mandy Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:23 am

Moo wrote:yeah i've seen that one before.. NEVER saw this one before about 10 seconds ago..

Its called the same thing but its different. is this legal? someone writes its illegal :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlen96vVgiA

Very cheeky move though - HOW WOULD YOU EVER DEFEND AGAINST IT?!?!?! apart from obliterate everyone on the pitch.

that's not an armadillo - which is illegal as you get five moving picks

this however is legal - it's just a hidden ball trick with 6 players instead of 2. you can't do it from a restart as everyone needs to 5 yards away, and the ref must know who has the ball on the restart, but in open play is fine. I doubt many refs would throw flags for the d playing their guy as if they had the ball mind
ahhh ... the whit
Moo

Postby Moo Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:12 pm

ahhh.. would be a bit unfair in games id have to say.. with a 2 man ball fake the defender has a clear shot if he was watching to whos got the ball however with that everyone sort of blocks the ball and then just runs at the goal.. seems completely unfair to me.

and poor ref looking for the ball carrier in that situation.
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:13 pm

As a hint, watch where the referee is looking as more often then not they know where the ball really is (but then again not always)
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.
Moo

Postby Moo Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:18 pm

oh nice tip! will defo use that.. guess they dont have the restriction of a helmet blocking their view so they can more easily see the ball..

Also generally teams use yellow balls or white balls to play with.. yet surely of white mesh (standard) and yellow mesh make it harder to see the ball in the pocket making fakes so much easier?
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:34 pm

The "Armadillo" play, where 5 attackers surround the sixth violates the rule against with-holding the ball from play

58.1 A player shall not with-hold the ball from play in any manner.
A player shall not lie on a loose ball on the ground.

As for the "huddle" plays, In fact, this kind of play isn't hard to defend against. Call a man on man defence. Call your numbers nice and early so every attacker knows he's being marked and either call ball if your man has it or wait for a team mate to call his man.
Moo

Postby Moo Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:07 am

it sounds easy now but at the time you would be like What the hell! and then the team would panic.. its an interesting play.. does anyone else know any other fake ball tricks like these? or any famous lacrosse plays like the original armadillo?
snooplax

Postby snooplax Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:57 am

Brlin Openlast year I hid the ball in the cuff of my glove turning a hidden ball play with a team mate. Works a treat.......just don't get spotted by a ref.
Moo

Re:

Postby Moo Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:48 pm

snooplax wrote:Brlin Openlast year I hid the ball in the cuff of my glove turning a hidden ball play with a team mate. Works a treat.......just don't get spotted by a ref.

surely thats completely illegal?
Mort rotu

Re: Re:

Postby Mort rotu Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:04 pm

Moo wrote:
snooplax wrote:Brlin Openlast year I hid the ball in the cuff of my glove turning a hidden ball play with a team mate. Works a treat.......just don't get spotted by a ref.

surely thats completely illegal?

yes, if you get seen, hence

just don't get spotted by a ref.
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 pm

I thought that was the whole point of the hidden ball trick? Flick it up to the teammate, he pretends to catch it, but you catch it nestled in your cuff. He runs off one way, you pop the ball from the cuff into your stick and ping it in?

If it's resting on top of the cuff, it's not witholding and it's not handing the ball is it?
Dubai Lacrosse #3
mandy
Admin
Admin

Re:

Postby mandy Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:29 am

DommoBath wrote:I thought that was the whole point of the hidden ball trick? Flick it up to the teammate, he pretends to catch it, but you catch it nestled in your cuff. He runs off one way, you pop the ball from the cuff into your stick and ping it in?

If it's resting on top of the cuff, it's not witholding and it's not handing the ball is it?

no it's generally supposed to be in one of the sticks, and you can argue those points
ahhh ... the whit
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:10 am

If you want to see the original hidden ball trick get a copy of 'The Secret of Our Success' (circa 1990) on VHS and watch Gary and Paul Gait take the piss out of (I think) UNC with an absolute monster from the half way line.
Paul even walks you through it on the commentary:
"I fake the flip to Gary. Gary does a great job of making like he's got the ball. And the goal is left open for a great shot into an empty net."

Or something like that. UKLF will back me up on this one. I used to watch it again and again and again and again. It's Paul Gait's "all time favourite play at SU". I still try it in pretty much EVERY game I play, with varying success rates.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”