ProLaxShop

"Play On!" at Face Offs

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Sour37

"Play On!" at Face Offs

Postby Sour37 Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Think this could be an intersting one, despite the snappy title

On a confinement violation (person over the line - a technical foul) at a face-off (loose ball) should not the correct call be "Play-on" until possession is decided rather than an immediate whistle as the infraction hasnt occurred until the whistle rather than before (like delay or jumping the whistle for example)

Possibly it could lead to disadvantage - but might not

Discuss
Two Up!
Mitchlax

Postby Mitchlax Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:57 pm

It usually is...makes it more annoying having won the ball from the face to have to change possession as a wingman jumps the whistle.

But I'll let the refs discuss this one.
Timperley LC
SUMLC
Samba Lax
Fallowfield Falcons
FarmerDan

Postby FarmerDan Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 am

This came up at the Europeans last summer. We were told to try and use the play-on technique more often than we currently do as it may help the flow of the game.

Specific emphasis was given to using it at face offs, and I try to use it myself as it's annoying when a team wins the ball and is about to go on a fast break only to have it stopped because their opponents had a foot on the line at the face.

So yeah, use Play-on at a face even if 3 seconds later you stop the game to award possession. The more we can keep the game flowing, the better. Just don't let the play on go on for too long.
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:47 am

The rules say this

83.1 "Where a player commits a loose-ball technical foul, and the offended team may be disadvantaged by the immediate suspension of play, then the referee shall visually and verbally signal “Play-on”, and he shall with-hold his whistle until such time as the situation involving the potential advantage has been completed, "

34.11 "If a foul is committed during or after a centre face-off before “Possession” or “Free ball” have been called, then confined players will not be released from the goal areas until the whistle blows to resume play."

If there's an encroachment at the face off, the offending player will be closer to the centre spot (and the ball) than he ought to be. If you play on, then when the ball is won, the offending player will have to cover less ground in order to reach the player with the ball than he will have to cover if the ref stops play, awards the penalty and makes the offending player re-enter his wing/goal area.

The test for playing advantage isn't "will the team which has been fouled on a loose ball win it anyway?" its "will the team that has been fouled be at a disadvantage if I blow my whistle now?"

Under most circumstances, it will be hard for a ref to conclude that a team will be disadvantaged by stopping the game when that team is going to get the ball and the opposition are going to be moved further away.
Sour37

Re:

Postby Sour37 Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:43 am

jameskellam wrote:The rules say this
34.11 "If a foul is committed during or after a centre face-off before “Possession” or “Free ball” have been called, then confined players will not be released from the goal areas until the whistle blows to resume play."

this is the crux of it really....the wing men would then be free to "hit the hole" - potentially causing the situation you've highlighted below...

jameskellam wrote:If there's an encroachment at the face off, the offending player will be closer to the centre spot (and the ball) than he ought to be.

jameskellam wrote:If you play on, then when the ball is won, the offending player will have to cover less ground in order to reach the player with the ball than he will have to cover if the ref stops play, awards the penalty and makes the offending player re-enter his wing/goal area.

the rules do not mention players remaining confined to wing areas - and the offending teams FO is now going to be in front of the offended team's, instead of being behind on a fast break

jameskellam wrote:The test for playing advantage isn't "will the team which has been fouled on a loose ball win it anyway?" its "will the team that has been fouled be at a disadvantage if I blow my whistle now?"

so use the "play on" to test out the scenario as it unfolds

jameskellam wrote:Under most circumstances, it will be hard for a ref to conclude that a team will be disadvantaged by stopping the game when that team is going to get the ball and the opposition are going to be moved further away.

true, but is a settled 6 on 6 situation more advantageous than a 4/3 or 5/4 fast break?

The way i see it is that it has to be a play on for the reasons you've stated against it - to allow the zebra(s) to make that decision properly
Two Up!
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:38 am

So the question the ref has to ask himself when he sees a technical foul at the face off is

Is there a man open for a pass from the F/O or is the F/O himself going to wind up nearer to goal than his opponent?

Yes to either - play on

No to both, whistle.
Sour37

Re:

Postby Sour37 Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:40 am

jameskellam wrote:So the question the ref has to ask himself when he sees a technical foul at the face off is

Is there a man open for a pass from the F/O or is the F/O himself going to wind up nearer to goal than his opponent?

Yes to either - play on

No to both, whistle.

seems fair to me
Two Up!
MAD

Postby MAD Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:48 am

If you ask most FO guys who are given the advantage they would prefer it on the bases of a fast break.
this is my conclusion from an unoffical census of the guys in the centre.
This is normaly post game when asked why more refs dont use the play on.
Like Dan says it allows the game to flow.
With regard to players being confined to there starting areas it is all players!!! so where is any advantage there?? as you would have for all intentions a full field press
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:06 am

I like the current NCAA rule which means if the face off guy does something illegal he has to leave the field allowing a brief man-up while they change. Obviously this is more effective when a play on would not have given an advantage and prevents cheating to just stall the attack and prevent a fast break.

Does anyone know if this applies for infingements on the wing as well?
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
Mr.Stanford

Re:

Postby Mr.Stanford Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:20 am

Paul_lboro/wildcats wrote:I like the current NCAA rule which means if the face off guy does something illegal he has to leave the field allowing a brief man-up while they change. Obviously this is more effective when a play on would not have given an advantage and prevents cheating to just stall the attack and prevent a fast break.

Does anyone know if this applies for infingements on the wing as well?

Not currently

good thought pattern, if a wingman gets caught jumping, he has to hit the bench.

not so useful if it's the bench side wingman.

Not sure we could really implement this without 3 refs on field.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:04 pm

The use of the play on has been a point of emphasis now for two seasons and I see it being used more and more. As has been pointed out it speeds the game up and helps the flow of the game.

The question the referee needs to consider is would the team be disdvantaged if I blow the whistle. Nothng wrong with defaulting to a play on and then blowing quickly after. This shows that you tried to play the advantage and then realized that no real advantage can or has been gained. it is far better to call playon's in a north south direction then an east west direction. That is to say that if the ball is rolling towards a sideline or is being contested near a side line it may be better to blow the play down and award the ball.

The important point here is that you are loud on the call of "play on " and signal with the arm in the air. Coaches, players and mostly fans have no clue about the play on. All they see is the push in the back and immediately scream for a whistle. I have even seen a guy who was pushed in the back with a clear opportunity to pick up the ball and go to goal, stop and yell at me aren't you going to call the push when I had shouted and signaled play on. I then had to explain to him what the play on was.

This is used much more in North America and Australia then here in the UK or Europe. We need to do this more.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”