ProLaxShop

motion offence

Advice for all the Attackers? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Mr.Stanford

motion offence

Postby Mr.Stanford Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Found a really good article on building a motion offence that relies on off ball movement to find and create space. It seems relevant to players of all abilities and experience. Just wish I’d had the concepts shown to me when I started, but I definitely learnt from reading it. Can't wait to coach it next week.

http://www.lacrosse.org/pdf/findspace2.pdf
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Kevin Sheehan wrote:The concepts stressed in this article are at the heart of a game I see vanishing. Today’s sticks are lighter with pockets that are deep, instant and shoot the ball at speeds where it may one day be possible for every player to shoot the ball over 100 miles an hour. Grudgingly, today’s athletes are indubitably bigger, faster and more athletic. Players can sweep and shoot at speeds that baffle the imagination today.

Physical skill improvement has transformed professional basketball into a one-on-one, or at best, a two-on-two game. If we are not careful, our game may evolve to this same level unless we better teach and stress these off ball skills. Lately, when I see some of the best Division I teams in the nation square off, I see a one-on-one battle attacking the short stick defender, while the role of the other five players has become that of spectator.

This article is an attempt to insure that we never lose the best kept secret of the game. The player without the ball is always more dangerous than the player with ball.

Both parts of the article have been on here before, unfortunately as Coach Sheehan states above it is becoming a lost art.
Good luck with Coaching it, it relies on players being unselfish and working off ball for their team mates as well as having ability to feed accurately on the run.
fresher309
League Mod
League Mod

Postby fresher309 Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:16 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:Both parts of the article have been on here before, unfortunately as Coach Sheehan states above it is becoming a lost art.
Good luck with Coaching it, it relies on players being unselfish and working off ball for their team mates as well as having ability to feed accurately on the run.

would this lost art not be rediscovered when/if the head changes occur in the NCAA?
Ex Birmingham Bulls #88
Bristol Bombers #88
Turkish.....Maybe
Lacrostitute....Definitely
fifteen peter twenty

Postby fifteen peter twenty Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:36 pm

Well that's what the gentry of the NCAA are probably thinking will be the case, a bit of rose tinted speculating. Bring back really rock hard heavy footballs too I say.

I have watched a few college games where they are playing a motion offence or rather the coach is screaming "motion, motion, motion" and nothing much happens are there any good examples of teams playing the motion offence sucessfully?

And of course, how would you defend against a well worked motion offence: send adjacent slides rather than from the middle as your cover has just bunked off in the wrong direction?
kjk20

Postby kjk20 Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:32 am

fifteen peter twenty wrote:Well that's what the gentry of the NCAA are probably thinking will be the case, a bit of rose tinted speculating. Bring back really rock hard heavy footballs too I say.

I have watched a few college games where they are playing a motion offence or rather the coach is screaming "motion, motion, motion" and nothing much happens are there any good examples of teams playing the motion offence sucessfully?

And of course, how would you defend against a well worked motion offence: send adjacent slides rather than from the middle as your cover has just bunked off in the wrong direction?

Definitely; in the middle: "I'm the one, I'm the one - oh, not anymore, he just pulled me out"
Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
ironman14

Re: motion offence

Postby ironman14 Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:31 pm

All players fill the spots as indicated, this may be used as transition. 1 may pass to wing and cut for lay up if this happens, 1 becomes the post player and 5 is the point. This offence allowes all players to play inside and on the outside so it dose not matter who starts in what spot as long as all are filled.
MarcDenman

Re: motion offence

Postby MarcDenman Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:42 pm

I can't quite believe it, spam has actually lead to something useful! Been looking for a topic like this for ages!!
RonBergundy

Re: Re:

Postby RonBergundy Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:31 pm

fifteen peter twenty wrote:I have watched a few college games where they are playing a motion offence or rather the coach is screaming "motion, motion, motion" and nothing much happens are there any good examples of teams playing the motion offence sucessfully?

The Princeton offense under the new coach, Chris Bates (formerly of Drexel) is an amalgamation of both box style 2v2 on ball picks and a modified motion offense. Though it's complicated, you'll see elements of "old school" lacrosse in it.

The Hopkins teams and often UVA will run a rotating 3 man midfield triangle and work the carry, throw-backs to get the ball spinning to the backside in two passes, hoping to exploit the the defense that has sloughed a bit inside and burst down the alley.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Attack Tips”