ProLaxShop

Faking a Shot

Advice for all the Attackers? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
unicycleboy

Faking a Shot

Postby unicycleboy Sun May 06, 2007 8:32 pm

I've been watching a vid of Mikey Powell on youtube and he seems to often do a fake shot before he actually shoots, now due to the poor video quality on youtube, I can't really se what he's doing.
Basically when fakeing should I turn the stick 180 degrees and quickly pull back or is there something im missing?
Thanks
Whitey

Postby Whitey Mon May 07, 2007 8:17 am

Don't get overly hung up on the stick. A great deal to do with faking is your head and shoulders. However, there are a couple of ways of faking, but the most commonly used is an exaggerated cradling motion with a twist of your top hand.

Get yourself the Mark Millon DVD, it will help you massively.
jjlax

Postby jjlax Tue May 08, 2007 4:10 pm

when you fake you should twist the stick the oppostie way to which you cradle .. so you twist it left handed: clockwise and right anti clock wise.. use your head to and look at the place your faking to , facial expressions are also some times imortant as if you exadurate the pass then they generaly think that it has gone lol.
Croydon-16
LAXman CRW

Postby LAXman CRW Fri May 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Sometimes you dont need to do a complete stick fake (when stick looks like its shooting then turns at the end and still holds ball)

there is a "head and shoulder" fake where you kinda give a "kick" with ur shoulder like your going to shoot then throw the ball into the goal in a different corner to where you faked...

This is usually faster and gives the goalie less time to react..Because when you do a stick fake the goalie has time to re adjust after the fake because you need to bring back your stick to shoot again.
Willson
Pomey Captain #91
Ex Blues - #91
Bubblegoose

Postby Bubblegoose Sat May 12, 2007 4:07 pm

Being one that use the fake a lot...too much. I believe there are diferent fakes for different circumstances, you just need to decide at the time.

Example, one on one with the keeper the quick fake where you roll the stick with the top hand anti-clockwise. However this should be done in a straight line as you would throw a ball, if yuo arc the stick when doing it the fake will not work...make sense?

I find that in open play that a slightly different fake using the bottom hand to work more effectively. This fake rolls the stick clockwise and requires a little more time to pull off. Again it should be thrown in a straight line.

What also helps is the head/shoulder movements/fakes and the look on you face as well as the noise you make. The bigger the grunt the more the punk infront of you will fill his keks.

Also make sure your stick holds the ball well, whip on your stick is essential for this cheeky trick.
Anything i say is dog toffee
peterclyne1981

fake

Postby peterclyne1981 Sun May 13, 2007 8:01 am

if you go on you tube their has been a few new posts which demo a fake pretty well by someone called laxzilla41
6x6

Re: Faking a Shot

Postby 6x6 Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:29 am

ironman14 wrote:A well executed shot fake on a jumper, pump fake under the basket, or ball fake on a pass will work probably 80 - 90% of the time, and by "work" I mean get the defender off balance or out of position so you can make a play. Defense, by its nature, is reactionary, and it's difficult for defenders to train themselves not to react on well executed fakes. That's why guys who like to steal the ball will almost always "bite" on a good pass fake, and guys who like to block shots will almost always bite on a good pump fake.

Unfortunately Ironman, Unicycleboy gave up the sport shortly after posting his question 3 1/2 years ago :D
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 am

6x6 wrote:
ironman14 wrote:A well executed shot fake on a jumper, pump fake under the basket, or ball fake on a pass will work probably 80 - 90% of the time, and by "work" I mean get the defender off balance or out of position so you can make a play. Defense, by its nature, is reactionary, and it's difficult for defenders to train themselves not to react on well executed fakes. That's why guys who like to steal the ball will almost always "bite" on a good pass fake, and guys who like to block shots will almost always bite on a good pump fake.

Unfortunately Ironman, Unicycleboy gave up the sport shortly after posting his question 3 1/2 years ago :D

He's also referring to basketball, same principle but entirely different specifics. How many guys in lax like to 'block shots' without the proper chest pad?
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:04 am

excellent archive article by Tom Marechek
http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/02/ ... -and-flair

Return to “Attack Tips”