ProLaxShop

Help?

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
NRlax

Help?

Postby NRlax Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:55 pm

I play defense and im a decent size...not 6 feet... but about 5'10 with that said, I know height helps with checks like over the head, And size helps with pushing and checking but due to my small size are there any tips that could help me move someone bigger than me...at the moment I try to keep them at the end of my stick instead of getting in close for pushes
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:16 am

There are lots of normal sized defenders who've had great success.

John Detomasso (Hopkins & Team USA) was probably 5' 10".

Speed, great footwork & positioning are all areas you can work on.

Get low and drive their hips out, literally get your gloves on their hip bone and use your legs for power. Use their size against them.

Hit the weight room to work on lower body strength, work your stick to be a hoover on GBs, Matt Bocklet (JHU 08) wasn't the biggest Dman either.

Watch players with a similar build and study how they play and have success.

You'd don't have to be 6' 3" 220lb to play D, over-the-head checks are over rated and high risk, make yourself hard to beat and play good Team Defense.

Good luck
NRlax

Postby NRlax Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:19 am

Thanks for the help! ...And I try pushing on the hip but it seems it gets me out of position because im to low on the body and its a easy shot, I turn into more of an annoyance than an actually defender
TW77

Postby TW77 Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:56 am

Like UKLaxFan said, over the head checks are overrated. The best way for any defender to get beat is to try an over the head check and miss, regardless of how tall they are.

Most of your strength will come for your legs. Your pushing should start there. If you're finding you're still not strong enough to push, focus on positioning and footwork; just make yourself hard to beat.

One thing that might work, to give yourself a bit of an advantage. If the short stick is backing in on you, and you can't push him back strong enough to move him, just push strong, then take a quick step back. If he's pushing on you, your quick step back might get him off balance, which will open him up to a quick stick check.
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:24 pm

TW77 wrote:One thing that might work, to give yourself a bit of an advantage. If the short stick is backing in on you, and you can't push him back strong enough to move him, just push strong, then take a quick step back. If he's pushing on you, your quick step back might get him off balance, which will open him up to a quick stick check.

Top Tip!

I used to hate that, as the attacker looks very foolish muscling in then almost falling over :oops:

Make the attacker have to work to beat you, and Never, Never Give Up!

The trail check is another way to make an attacker look stupid :D

Return to “Defence Tips”