ProLaxShop

Defensive Footwork?

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Dave254023

Defensive Footwork?

Postby Dave254023 Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Having played quite a lot of the Summer Tournies, I have realised that my footwork is awful. Any body got any good reccommendations for footwork. I am fairly heavy footed, is there any way to train the body to move differently?
Hillcroft D-Man #3
Swansea D-man #3 05/06 & 06/07
Let your game do the talking!
jonfast

Postby jonfast Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:47 pm

Plyometrics is the way forward Frumby old boy (I think)... Helps 'foot speed' and that sort of thing.. Improve core stability for the turning part... Stuff like skipping, you and besher can practise arm in arm
Last edited by jonfast on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:58 pm

1) get a team-mate to side step 4-yards whilst you keep up with him side to side for 30 second intervals - HINT - watch his hips!

2) practice defending behind- Do this by asking someone to dodge you at the crease rocking from goal-line extended to GLE and back a few times - you'll also need to workout stepping over the back of the net for this!
HINT as he comes further round square yourself up to prevent him coming on top of you, he can then only go a) in the crease, b) where he came from c) inside roll - at which point he gets snotted by the slide.

..... i'll think of somemore tonight at training.
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
kjk20

Postby kjk20 Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:09 pm

Ray told me to play the dancemat games too.
Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
Moley

Postby Moley Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:16 pm

If it's footwork which is the problem rather than just field positioning then it is just balance, power and repetition.
Skipping is the most underused excercise in Lacrosse. Try it bouncing side to side, forward and back, twist your body to each side in turn while you skip and so many other variants. Also great for your wrists.
Similar alternative is putting a stick on the floor and hopping over it left and right then forward and back. Change of direction muscles nice and worked.
Balance wise core strength and a good sqatted position are what you need. Core stability has a lot of different ways to develop so it would be daft for me to go putting advice on here about that, look up some stuff on the internet and do it regularly.
Low centre of gravity = a nice squatted position. Try starting by leaning back against the walland squatting with your knees bent at 90 degrees forming a square with the floor and wall, hold your hands out at shoulder level and count of 30 seconds, repeat until in pain. Straightforward slow squats are also good, count off 10 seconds down and 10 up, hold your arms out in front to balance rather than sticking your bum out.

Now all that is done it is shuffling time, nice drill by dining room. Try starting off just shuffling left and right in a nice squat no crossing of feet, then try crossing your feet in front and behind while squatted. Try putting a few cones down and shuffling to each one in turn, this is great if you can get someone else to shout at you which one to go to next.
Repeat shuffling drills until bored stupid and you will find that come a match the feet take care of themselves leaving you free to sort out where you are meant to be standing, who you need to shout at etc.
One on one dodging next to apply all you have learned.

Now to see about taking my own advice.

Return to “Defence Tips”