ProLaxShop

LSM

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
P.Pexton

LSM

Postby P.Pexton Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:24 pm

What category do LSM tips come under? Defense or middie?

At face off where should the lsm be? Surely on the defensive wing??!! But I've noticed it's often the other way around?

Also can anyone advise any training drills for a lsm for 1) stick skills, 2) fitness!

Phill
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:35 pm

i would say on your goalies right hand wing (allows faceman to rake to shorty) but then when this isn't box side I've seen some LSMs moved to the box side to make subbing easier
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:09 am

http://www.kudda.com/clinic/Face-off_Wing_Play

not sure how good that is I haven't watched it.

Also

Not to do with LSM play but some excellent videos can be found here

http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 1137790221

they cover attack, midfield, face off, defence and goalie in a good level of detail.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
P.Pexton

Postby P.Pexton Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:17 am

That second link has some awesome videos!!
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:13 pm

yes it does. Sit a defender/attacker/goalie/middie down and let it train them for you :P
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
kjk20

Postby kjk20 Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:08 am

I'd put it under Middie, but I guess since you have the stick...

I'd say the LSM should be on the defensive wing regardless. If your man wins the face (and if he's any good) he simply rolls the ball to himself or to his winger (who should easily be able to pick up the ball). If their man wins the clamp, then you've got your LSM with the 2ft stick advantage going after the ball. If it's a fast break, the LSM runs up on it, if slow break, then he subs off with his attack holding the ball.

As for skills, you should be a groundball hog to win possession and have awesome stick skills in order to work a fast break. So I guess a lot of ground balls, and as much catching and throwing you can get.

As for fitness related stuff, your reaction time is really important. Try an SAQ class - geared towards explosive speed and quick reactions. And as always, the sprint is very important, you're either going forward, backward, or to the bench in a hurry.

...most of the qualities I lack which leave me firmly in the back end of the field!

I really liked those Navy videos.
Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
P.Pexton

Postby P.Pexton Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:29 pm

Thanks for that kjk20! Every practice I've been chasing and picking up all ground balls and using my left more than my right (I'm right handed) to get that up to scratch and make it feel more natural!

Oh I'm sure straight D will be calling. Just trying to delay the call for a few years yet anyway whilst I'm young and fit anyway!! Haha.
Rochielax22

Postby Rochielax22 Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:04 pm

I play with the England face off guy and have been getting in alot of trouble for lining up in stupid places.

Our LONG descussions seem to be telling me that your first job is to make sure your wing man doesn't pick up the ball w h e r e e v e r he may be your second job is then to get into your own half, about 5 or 6 yards away from the face off guy. You only do that after the initial draw and once your team mate is standing in the correct place aswell!

Return to “Defence Tips”