ProLaxShop

Zone vs 1-4-1

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
DanSawyer

Zone vs 1-4-1

Postby DanSawyer Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:30 am

Perhaps the first and most common reaction to facing a zone defence seems to be switching to a 1-4-1 set.

What do the defence do to counter this? Do most teams have a zone that works against 1-4-1, either their basic zone or a changeup? Or do they switch to man marking? We have a slight variation to the basic zone that counters 1-4-1, but I'm curious about other teams, here and abroad.
Dining Room

Re: Zone vs 1-4-1

Postby Dining Room Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:23 pm

On a very basic level i'd just play my man-up against a zone.
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Sorry, little lost. You mean the defence should use their man down pattern or are you just saying you wouldn't use 1-4-1 against a zone?
jibbers

Postby jibbers Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:18 pm

If a zone is done properly a 1-4-1 shouldn't trouble the defense at all.

The best way to beat a zone is to dodge against it and move the ball quickly once the first man is beaten...
Mersey
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:45 pm

jibbers wrote:If a zone is done properly a 1-4-1 shouldn't trouble the defense at all.

The best way to beat a zone is to dodge against it and move the ball quickly once the first man is beaten...

Are you thinking of any particular type of zone or all zones?
TW19

Postby TW19 Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:54 pm

The England zone in the World Championships was a basic box with a backer in the middle and an additional 'floating' player who picked up anyone else on the perimeter.

The zone was designed that way as the box shape is suitable against a lot of offensive sets and enabled us, with only minor movements, to maintain the same shape against a 1-3-2, 2-3-1 and 2-2-2. It was also designed so we could switch from a box to a diamond should anyone play 1-4-1 against it. That way we would be able to match up one on one on the perimeter whilst still maintaining our zone principles.

As it turned out no one consistently used a 1-4-1 against it though it was something we practised against.

In playing against a zone I'm not sure a 'one size fits all' approach will work. 1-4-1 might be effective against some zones but not others. To beat a zone I'd recommend:
1. Off-ball movement (including changing from one set to another)
2. Attack the seams
3. Dodge to draw a slide or to throw-back
4. Overloads

All of the above is designed to force the rotation -too many offences become reactive rather than proactive when faced with a zone.

Having 6 players who can shoot the lights out from 15 yards will never hurt either!

Hope that all makes sense.
Arjunashanti

Postby Arjunashanti Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:00 pm

jibbers wrote:<null>

I agree if done properly a zone is fine against most sets (I like to run a 3-3 and have run a heavy 2-4 to "bust a zone") a 1-4-1 will just allow for more picks/ screens on the crease and hopefully draw the sloughing back side into the play.

Return to “Defence Tips”