ProLaxShop

Former D3 Player and Long time US coach

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Mr. Chainsaw

Former D3 Player and Long time US coach

Postby Mr. Chainsaw Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:30 pm

I am new to this site since I have only been in the UK for a 5mts or so. I have played defense/defensive middie at all levels up to NCAA Division 3 in the states and coached at most of those levels as well. If you have any specific questions on coaching/playing theory feel free to ask I will do my best or direct you to the correct place to find your answer.

Since I don't know yet how to make a signature here is my quote
"Offense wins games, Defense wins championships."
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:45 pm

welcome to the forum

Did you Coach at a D3 school?

I'd be interested to know what criteria you use for player evaluation, for team or squad selection?

What the biggest difference you've noticed with lacrosse in UK?
Mr. Chainsaw

Postby Mr. Chainsaw Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:45 pm

Well I played D3 and when I was recovering from an ACL injury I helped coach the defense. In a new program there should be no criteria for cutting or getting rid of anyone. Lacrosse is growing at an exponential rate in the south of the UK and everything should be done to involve as many players as possible.

As to evaluations, there is no truer evaluation as to how a player performs then in a game situation or a full field scrimmage. There are certain players who will dominate drills in practice but cannot apply this to game situation. Any time you get a chance to use a full field DO IT! There is a lacrosse intelligence that some players have and some do not. Its hard to explain but its the player who kinda is always in the right spot and the ball "lands" in his stick or it pops out of the scrum in his direction during a ground ball. This cannot be taught it is just acquired through playing.

The biggest difference I see in UK lacrosse is the physical play of the game. I know that many of the UK sports are "gentleman" sport but I have always believed that Lacrosse isn't a posh sport its blue collar. Hopefully, that shows when the team I have been coaching Essex University is on the pitch. UK players aren't coached as much they don't even have coaches present for games... we have tried to do this for Essex hopefully it has helped them. I don't want to change a thing about UK lacrosse, I want it to flourish as it is. I just hope the things I have brought here will help these players out.

Hopefully this has answered all of your questions... and with any good answer has given you a few more.
VGrimes

Postby VGrimes Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:13 pm

You wouldn't happen to be that sizzling coach over at the Uni of Essex would you? I think I had the honor of being yelled at by you once. Good times.
ArchLevel Lacrosse
South England Universities Head Coach
Cambridge University Head Coach
Green Jello Ninja

Suffer for it.

Return to “Defence Tips”