ProLaxShop

Why is so difficult to get a goalie into your team?

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Silverhighlord

Postby Silverhighlord Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:08 pm

Helo guys,
I'm portuguese and I'm trying to creat the first team of lacrosse here in Portugal. At this momente we've already some players..but none of them want to be goalie..:P..
Cheers,
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:33 pm

Its not difficult, just get someone, brave, athletic swift of eys and movement... easy really!

Failing that get someone stupid, too slow to move out of the way of fiercely fired shots and too numb to feel pain.... that was how I ended up in nets!
Silverhighlord

Postby Silverhighlord Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Yeah...that's easy to say...but hard to do..because no one appears..eheheh
joe garvey

Basic human nature

Postby joe garvey Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:18 am

There is that instinct that tells most people to move away from something moving at 85mph + so it is very hard to get someone who has grown up getting out of the way, and tell them get in the way.

Your best chance to find someone who will be a good fit, is to look at other sports that have similar skills, cricket batsmen, field hockey goalies, those would be your best chance to start.

Ideally you would want to start with a child, kids, tend not to be scared when they are young, so if you start to teach them at around 8 or 9, they will learn the sport before they learn to be afraid of flying projectiles.

If all else fails, make the last person to the field goalie. If you find 1 person who is better then the rest, offer him bribes (beer, food etc.)
Mort rotu

Re: Basic human nature

Postby Mort rotu Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:43 pm

joe garvey wrote: If you find 1 person who is better then the rest, offer him bribes (beer, food etc.)

getting the club (money permitting) to buy their keeper kit (helmet chestpad gloves and stick) works quite well.
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
G-DoGg

Re: Basic human nature

Postby G-DoGg Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:38 am

joe garvey wrote:If all else fails, make the last person to the field goalie. If you find 1 person who is better then the rest, offer him bribes (beer, food etc.)

Worked for me!!!
Women cum and they go, Lacrosse is there forever!!! ROCK ON
UWIC #23
SLL #19
CARDIFF CLUB #23
CARDIFF HARLEQUINS #23
CGKer

Postby CGKer Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:19 am

You need to convince them its not as painful as it looks. Winter training is always hard on a keeper though as the ball is harder and has less bounce. Not sure if Portugal ever get cold though.

If they take a few hits and are encouraged and appreciated by there team they will hopefully think it worth it. The more experienced/better you get, the less it hurts.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Seriously, Badgers make better tube drivers than Moles. Ask one.
EGLC #19
G&J #60
steve flint

Postby steve flint Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:16 pm

I totally agree with Joe, find someone daft enough and if all else fails get him drunk and make him sign up
Ex-Lacrosseur
Ex-Hillcroft #00
ex-Croydon #1 ex-Hillcroft #20 ex-Wales #20 ex-South #20 ex- Nomads #69
whoever said goalies were a sarnie short of a picnic had no idea how close to the truth they were
Play... Bleed..... Strap up your wounds.... Play again
Eddie (wacs)

Postby Eddie (wacs) Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:56 pm

start them young and have regular training.
do some drills with a pop lax ball to get their conridence up.
good luck in your search
davewilliams

Lax Factor

Postby davewilliams Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:34 pm

There's a recession on; Portugal is a beautiful part of the world, so if you could offer part-time work, a beach, food, & lodging, hundreds of lacrosse players would trade in their attack sticks for a season in Coimbra. You might think of floating the idea of a reality TV show to select your goalkeeper.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
dizzy

Postby dizzy Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:07 pm

Once you have persuaded someone to try it, then they need a lot of encouragement in order to stick out that initial period where standing infront of flying balls just seems stupid. As a goalie myself, I know that I am always extremely important and that any goal that goes in is most definitely not my fault! :D
Harry Collins

Re:

Postby Harry Collins Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:45 pm

dizzy wrote:Once you have persuaded someone to try it, then they need a lot of encouragement in order to stick out that initial period where standing infront of flying balls just seems stupid. As a goalie myself, I know that I am always extremely important and that any goal that goes in is most definitely not my fault! :D

In other words, try finding someone with a massively over-inflated sense of self importance tell them they'll be doing you a favour and you massively need them, that they'll be the most important player on the pitch and will be the ones who win the game, yet have no fault when you lose, then let their ego do the rest...

...worked on our team...
Hillcroft #41
Viking lax #14
Ex-Brooklands #14
Ex-York #14
dizzy

Postby dizzy Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Exactly :D
mully

Postby mully Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:33 pm

I agree, its like playing school lacrosse again, everyone wants to be an attack. Its the shooting, scoring, the glory, no one wants be at the other end. you need to convince them that only the bravest, the swiftest, the strongest makes a good goalie, the last line of defense, but the first line of attack 8) and if you're half decent, every team wants you.

and show them this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnWPmVcov5s&NR=1
ladies goalkeeper for hire
webby

Re: Re:

Postby webby Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:03 am

Harry Collins wrote:...worked on our team...

That explains a lot! :wink: :D
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
fudge

Re:

Postby fudge Tue May 04, 2010 10:43 am

:shock:
Maidstone Red Wolves #26, 2014 - Present
Canterbury Christ Church University #1, 2009-12
RedRaider27

Re: Why is so difficult to get a goalie into your team?

Postby RedRaider27 Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 am

Well you might some persuasion. Goalies need to be more than just brave; they need guts to. At first it's kind of freaks you out. Even if they aren't at a young age, the first week or so in net, start with tennis balls. Then from there, progress daily with more regular lacrosse balls. You need a lot of team couragement always, but your goalie needs to do the same for the team. Don't let your goalie feel overwhelmed with feeling like the game is on their shoulders; it isn't, it's a TEAM sport. Also another key thing for any goalie is a strong communication system with the team. Defense needs to be loud, whether it's saying, "left side(ex.)" or saying the player they have. the goalie needs to do the same though; it works both ways.
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 am

I don't think that it's got anything to do with bravery or not wanting to get hit by the ball.

Most people would prefer to be out scoring goals, taking on people and running around. Goalie can be a boring and lonely position at times (when your team is controlling the game). It can be cold, not much moving around and it's as beneficial for fitness. A midfield player will burn well over 1000kcal during a match, a goalie probably only a third of that at maximum.
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:24 am

J-Lo wrote:I don't think that it's got anything to do with bravery or not wanting to get hit by the ball.

Most people would prefer to be out scoring goals, taking on people and running around. Goalie can be a boring and lonely position at times (when your team is controlling the game). It can be cold, not much moving around and it's as beneficial for fitness. A midfield player will burn well over 1000kcal during a match, a goalie probably only a third of that at maximum.

The Goalie may only be involved in 50% of the game but when the ball is in defensive end he should be on his toes and 100% alert at all times, mentally & physically the Goalie position can be very draining and a good work out if you are playing the position correctly.

Also at training the goalie is the only position that has to be at 100% game speed as the ball still hurts in practice.

The days of putting the fat kid in nets and leaning against a post should be well and truly over.

The courage and toughness needed to play goalie are probably the biggest factors involved deterring new players to the position.

That and you have to be mad

How many brave, tough mad people are out there?

If you are come to Norbury LC Prem 2 you will be welcomed
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/norburylacrosseclub/

We train through summer on Tuesday evenings
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:31 am

UKLaxfan wrote:The days of putting the fat kid in nets and leaning against a post should be well and truly over.

I was just about to suggest this!

Return to “Goalie Tips”