ProLaxShop

Going through a slump

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Pyroveggie

Going through a slump

Postby Pyroveggie Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:58 pm

I've been playing D for a few years now but I've been playing goalie for the past season after our previous goalie had to drop out of uni and failing to recruit a reliable fresher into the position. I started the season and wasn't fantastic at the position but felt I performed to an acceptable standard and have really been enjoying the position. Recently though (last 4/5 games) I feel I've been been going through a serious slump and haven't been happy with my match performance at all. Does anyone have any tips or advice for pulling yourself out of a slump and getting back on form?
#12 Aberystwyth 2010-
Mr.Stanford

Re: Going through a slump

Postby Mr.Stanford Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:23 pm

watch the series of this (there's 6 episodes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypXaDKQZ96U

Working on specific techniques and skills will probably help you focus and pick your performance up.

Practice makes perfect, get on the cage and take an accurate shooter with you, rather than bladder bags who doesn't know where its going.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Pyroveggie

Postby Pyroveggie Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Cheers for those! Lots of helpful tips there. Thanks

Played a match on Wednesday and seemed a bit happier with my performance. Just gotta keep practising I guess, same as everything! :D
#12 Aberystwyth 2010-
Jambon8

Postby Jambon8 Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Hey, just wanted to say as one of the attackers that lined up against you on Wednesday, all we could talk about was how you were one of the best keepers we've faced all year, took some serious ball movement to get that ball to the crease, dont think we scored more than 1 outside shot, which is usually where we score most of our goals.

Keep up the great work mate!
Bournemouth University No 8.

Mildy average attacker.
Mr.Oleary

Postby Mr.Oleary Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:04 pm

As a goalkeeper, you will go through bad patches just like any other player. The best way to try and stay on good form is playing regularly. Also, there is nothing better than a thorough warm up, in matches and training. Find yourself one person who you feel will warm you up instead of warming there 'ripper' up. There's nothing worse than asking one of the attackmen to warm you up and they just try shooting from the outside 100%. So find this one player and only use him to warm you up.
University of Northampton #00 2010-12
Northampton Town LC #6 2010-2012

Croydon LC #00 2013-2014
Croydon LC Vice Captain 2013-2014

Purley LC #00 2014-

Goalkeepers are a different breed

Goalies Union!!!
maliha

Postby maliha Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:08 pm

Well assuming you've strung it fine then you just need to wear it in, I find it quite useful to put on your glove and just spend 10-15 minutes punching it in. Also with most goalie pockets when you set it up, you want to get the right balance so that it's not so deep that you can't consistently pass with it, but deep enough that you don't give up loads of rebounds or drop the ball under pressure, and this balance really depends on the player. From what you've said you may want to deepen the pocket a bit, I'd imagine theres loads of videos and tips on youtube and inside lacrosse

Return to “Goalie Tips”