ProLaxShop

University Talent Pathway

Play for a Uni Team or at College? Post In Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Phil

University Talent Pathway

Postby Phil Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:16 pm

So noticed this put out by the ELA today - 'the first step on the talent ladder'.

Do many universities think they'll send players along?

Can't decide what I think about the £15 p/person charge yet. On one hand you want to see people are committed, I guess, but it seems a bit off to charge people to trial (... I think).

Anyway, just though I'd kick a discussion off...

Phil
wimmerlax

Re: University Talent Pathway

Postby wimmerlax Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Although my loyalties lie with Wales, I can see the positive in England doing this, it pulls people into the programme and hopefully helps showcase some talent that would otherwise remain unseen to the England selection committee. It's good for uni students and those that did not grow up in a club environment to know there is a path laid out for them to develop and have a chance at the national squad.

As for charging people to trial, it's pretty standard really for national sides, and it varies depending on the situation, you might even find it covers you insurance wise for the day or simply pays for the pitch hire. either way if you’re interested in trying out for a squad I’m sure you won’t mind paying a little to help fund raise for the next major tournament
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Bl00dy cracking idea, this. £15 is cheap if you regard this as a 'trial'. Full senior trials usually cost £30. Plenty of things to pay for, not least pitch hire and even the time for someone to organise such an event. I'd hazard that you wouldn't be getting this if it was left to volunteers to run.

This is a positive step in many ways and, in my opinion, should be embraced by everyone who has the opportunity to attend. At the very worst, it's a coaching session with some decent coaches and an opportunity to see where you are in relation to everyone else in a similar position.

I really hope that they un-earth some talent here (and to be fair, the people running the sessions aren't too bad at spotting decent players), if only to prove that decent players can be discovered and coached into international players from a late start in the game.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
t.loake

Postby t.loake Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Is Oxford SE or SW? I've mored unis since last year and not sure where it fits in!

Also is this the only trial?

Cheers,

Tom
Exeter #41 2008 - 2012
BUCS Championship Semi-final 2012
England Unis 2012
Reading 2011 - Present
stocklax26

Postby stocklax26 Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Tom, checkout the English Lacrosse website the University catchment areas are now online: http://www.englishlacrosse.co.uk/university-regions/
Phil

Postby Phil Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:05 pm

davidmcculloch81 wrote:I really hope that they un-earth some talent here (and to be fair, the people running the sessions aren't too bad at spotting decent players), if only to prove that decent players can be discovered and coached into international players from a late start in the game.

I completely agree. Pre-season info said the trials were to '... lead to the selection of an “elite” squad and also a “development” squad for players who are new to the game (last 18 months)'. As I understand it the plan to pick out a development squad has since be scraped, which I think is a great shame.

Phil
bobby09

Postby bobby09 Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:26 am

Anyone know if you need to go to the trial that is for your catchment area? as durham is a trek compared with manchester. I was mainly going for the coaching rather than aspirations of making the uni squad.
turner_8t8

Postby turner_8t8 Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:34 pm

It was really nice to find out that the timperley trials were cancelled whilst on the train to Manchester. Didn't want the tenner I spent on the ticket anyway.
the pom

Postby the pom Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:59 pm

turner_8t8 wrote:It was really nice to find out that the timperley trials were cancelled whilst on the train to Manchester. Didn't want the tenner I spent on the ticket anyway.

there is not much they can do about a frost and water loging issues

other than only plan these sort of things for summer which is not always an option
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
turner_8t8

Postby turner_8t8 Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:53 pm

the pom wrote:
turner_8t8 wrote:It was really nice to find out that the timperley trials were cancelled whilst on the train to Manchester. Didn't want the tenner I spent on the ticket anyway.

other than only plan these sort of things for summer which is not always an option

this wasnt the part i had an issue with, obviously if the pitches are frozen then there is nothing they could do about it.

What should have been done was to at least send an email to people who had signed up to the trials in the morning letting them know it was cancelled, not simply telling them when they arrived.
Ex-York #20
LivLax #20
Uni of Liverpool #20
Uni Of Liverpool Mens Captain 2012/13
English Unis 2012 #20
North Unis 2011
Phil

Postby Phil Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:26 pm

the pom wrote:

I do find it weird people book grass pitches, instead of astro, for these types of events at this time of year and expect them to be playable..

Phil
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:49 pm

I would suggest that Timperley's astro's (sand based) would have been booked anyway ... and frost makes them lethal ... U19's games have been cancelled beacuse of that.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
chippie

Postby chippie Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Phil wrote:
the pom wrote:

I do find it weird people book grass pitches, instead of astro, for these types of events at this time of year and expect them to be playable..

Phil

some grass pitches stand up well at this time....
never know what the weather will do...freezing/rain/snow....or a nice sunny day!
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
wimmerlax

Postby wimmerlax Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:41 pm

We played at Timperley on saturday, both grass pitches are pretty ruined (more so now) and the astro's were frozen saturday, one of the Timperley guys mentioned that the hockey had to be called off due to frozen pitches.
bonjourmc

Postby bonjourmc Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:24 pm

None of the Manchester squad can trial due to a clash with a re-arranged fixture away at Loughborough. :(
Manchester University 2010/2013. #6 (Captain 2012/2013)
Manchester Metropolitan University 2013/2014 #?
Timperley
English Universities (6)
MANLAX (21)
turner_8t8

Postby turner_8t8 Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:17 am

Liverpool players are struggling, the rearrangement is right in the middle of exams.
eww

Postby eww Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Ok so the trials have been called off and there is just going to be a North team training on the weekend of the 10th. Are there many players from the top uni sides (Sheffields, Leeds Met, Durham etc.) attending?
Ewan Willsmer
Kyri

Postby Kyri Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:53 pm

As far as Im aware none of the Leeds Met 1st team are trialing for this.

Return to “UK Uni”