ProLaxShop

England Opportunity Missed

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
S_24_LAX

England Opportunity Missed

Postby S_24_LAX Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Firstly. Congrats to the Southern Lads that attended the trial today and put in their best display and effort

Now the moan. Why were there only 10 players there? Totally puzzled because I have seen the talent around the South, especially in the younger players.

Let me try to list who came along from the England coaching staff and support team:
England Head Coach
5 other England Coaches
Physios
Sports Psychologist
Fitness Coach
Kit and Kit Support guys
Video Guy
2 x England Team Management.

So that us at least 14 experts at their roles.

It was a 3 hour intensive programme with lots of coaching, including lots if 1 to 1 input.

I realise that the opportunity means a lot if personal and fiscal commitment if you are successful. But a huge opportunity to improve and progress your game. And there are avenues to assist the fiscal impact available to every one. BUT

Look forward to hearing why some if you didn't come and take advantage of the opportunity and the chance to get top level coaching and input.

Again. Well done to those who tried out and to the England National Squad for putting on such a good trial.
sj247

Re: England Opportunity Missed

Postby sj247 Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:39 am

Personally, didn't know it was on.
University of Kent #90 (or #30)
Men's Lacrosse President 2010-11
Men's Captain 2011-12
Maidstone LC #90
England Uni 2012/13
Waggy

Postby Waggy Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:24 am

sj247 wrote:Personally, didn't know it was on.

It's on ELA Website, Twitter, Facebook and was in shooting strings. I guess they could have sent out personnel invites?

50 were at the north trial the day before
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Have to agree with Waggy that the ELA did use a lot if it's electronic communication methods to advertise it.

I may be wrong but I also believe it was mentioned at SEMLA meeting and duly minuted and circulated. Perhaps the person responsible in your club did not further promote it to the players.

In my initial post I also forgot to mention the 2 injured squad players who turned up for the whole session to encourage and assist. Well done for that Ryan and Matt.
sj247

Postby sj247 Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:34 pm

I don't follow ELA on Facebook or Twitter (think I will now though), I check the ELA website once a month maybe and I haven't seen it, and I only skim read Shooting Strings in my emails. I usually just look on here for stuff like that.

I'm sure there are different reasons for the majority of people. But yes, personal hand written invites would be lovely.
Men's Captain 2011-12
Maidstone LC #90
England Uni 2012/13
RobGooch

Postby RobGooch Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Can you list the southern players who attended? That would a) give them a big-up, b) let those who think they are better players realise even more their missed opportunity and c) be of general interest to anyone who plays SEMLA lax.
the pom

Postby the pom Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:12 pm

sj247 wrote:I don't follow ELA on Facebook or Twitter (think I will now though), I check the ELA website once a month maybe and I haven't seen it, and I only skim read Shooting Strings in my emails. I usually just look on here for stuff like that.

I'm sure there are different reasons for the majority of people. But yes, personal hand written invites would be lovely.

whilst in the past lax forums would have been a better bet for finding these things out the ela has made some improvements in this area and this was well publicised
a lack of TV coverage could be criticized but that would be a bit rough

did the ela post on here they do somtimes?
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Blimey. Must be new year. I agree with Pom on this. ELA have improved tremendously and infancy I think laxforums readership has declined.

sj247 makes an important contribution to this and not knowing at least makes people ask why didn't he know.

Goochie. Not sure about this but will give it a go:
Alex Hustler - Southampton
Tony Joseph - East Grinstead
Jack Hatswell - East Grinstead
Maurice Wills - Blues
Neema - Blues
Dave Cluney - Blues
Ollie Barrett - Blues/Sheffield
Andrew Fernando - Purley
Matt Baldwin - Cheltenham
Michael Halliwell - Hitchin
"Sorry didn't get the lads name - Nottingham helmet had played for Wacs - arrived late

To the PM cynic - I wasn't there to sell nor did I take any kit with me to sell - so that is not why I was disappointed. Any one will tell you I have campaigned for ages to get southern trials at all levels for National squads. I attended to observe how players coped under the pressure and to support, encourage and give a little word of advice. Also as a coach to observe the best in the uk at work and learn from them.
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:24 pm

That should say "in fact" and not infancy.

Blooming smart phones.
sj247

Postby sj247 Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Lesson learnt on my part, would of liked to go just for the coaching. Now following on twitter etc.

Still a bit surprised it wasn't mentioned on here, most things are!
Men's Captain 2011-12
Maidstone LC #90
England Uni 2012/13
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 pm

twitter or bust
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Is Jack Hatswell supposed to be Jack Foster or James Hatswell?

The only reason I didn't go was because I was on a flight back from Sri Lanka. I went to the euros trials and the experience I gained on the day was absolutely phenomenal - I even received a feedback email afterwards with detailed pointers on how I could improve my game.

Congratulations to the England Staff who have clearly put on a fantastic day and shown (again) that they are taking things seriously... if only there was another trial this weekend!
Tree13

Postby Tree13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:02 pm

S_24_LAX wrote:Firstly. Congrats to the Southern Lads that attended the trial today and put in their best display and effort

Now the moan. Why were there only 10 players there? Totally puzzled because I have seen the talent around the South, especially in the younger players.

Let me try to list who came along from the England coaching staff and support team:
England Head Coach
5 other England Coaches
Physios
Sports Psychologist
Fitness Coach
Kit and Kit Support guys
Video Guy
2 x England Team Management.

So that us at least 14 experts at their roles.

It was a 3 hour intensive programme with lots of coaching, including lots if 1 to 1 input.

I realise that the opportunity means a lot if personal and fiscal commitment if you are successful. But a huge opportunity to improve and progress your game. And there are avenues to assist the fiscal impact available to every one. BUT

Look forward to hearing why some if you didn't come and take advantage of the opportunity and the chance to get top level coaching and input.

Again. Well done to those who tried out and to the England National Squad for putting on such a good trial.

From my perspective, and with the greatest of respect to my teammates, no-one at Brighton is even remotely good enough to attend this trial. Most of them are terrified of Tony Joseph :wink:

Why wasn't anyone from Epsom there Ian?
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
Whitey

Postby Whitey Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:56 pm

It's going to take a few years of these events to get the South players to become hopeful of selection. Most of the players know they are not good enough to play for England. I think being realistic might be the main barrier to mass participation.

Social media is one thing, but in lacrosse I have found that speaking to people face-to-face is far more productive.
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 am

Whilst I agree partly with you Whitey. I also thought the success of Lewis Arnold, James Kidd, Ewan Wilsmer and Matt Birkett in the Euro squad may have acted as a spring board for others.

Tree - if you look at the age spread of the Epsom squad you may see that they are more aimed at the Masters, Grand Masters and in some cases Super Grand Masters. Although I can think of one exception who might have benefited from attending.

It will be Jack Foster from EG. Apologies Jack.
rr53

Postby rr53 Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Same as Si, didnt know about it or would have sent something out to our team too. Apologies
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:39 pm

No need to apologise.

All I want to hear us why.

Mainly cos I have badgered my Northern friends for years to have trials. In fact quite well supported by Northern colleagues.
webby

Postby webby Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Who was the Physio?
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 am

Moody
Soton_Jeds

Postby Soton_Jeds Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:46 pm

On a personal note... too old plus not knowing about it even being on (can't remember the last time I received a shooting strings- must be too far south for delivery) Plus a torn patella tendon.

As for other people I fully agree with the whole not feeling confident enough or good enough. In the west 1 and the West 2 I can't see that much of a consistent challenge to get people to a high standard. Games constantly called off means they develop at a slower rate and also shows that there is a lack of commitment at the club level, I know there are dedicated core (not as big as it was maybe 5 or 6 years ago) but if they are not playing regularly then they will never make it. Also financially it is a problem for the younger generation ESP with the costs of transport and everything else.

This is just an opinion and no way indicates the opinion of all other players, still no excuse for people not to go as we can learn a lot from these types of sessions.
Jedi -t'was a knickname i tell you

Original UWIC #8 2001 - 2004
Southampton Tridents #99 2004 - 2008
Southampton Sabres #99 2008 - 2008
?????? 2009 -

" Those who sweat the most in practice, bleed the least in battle"

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register