ProLaxShop

Lacrosse at London Live

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
samaleyo

Lacrosse at London Live

Postby samaleyo Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi all,

You may have heard of London Live (http://www.btlondonlive.com/) an event being run alongside the Olympics at both Hyde Park and Victoria Park. There will be big screens showing the sports, music stages and (importantly for us) an area for people to try out new sports.

We will be running some lacrosse sessions as part of this which means we have the opportunity to expose our sport to literally thousands of people over the course of several day.

I am looking for lacrosse players in the London area to help run the sessions and ensure that we put the best face on our sport. There will be a member of English Lacrosse staff who will be responsible for overseeing each session, but we need volunteers to help demonstrate the key skills and ensure that participants can get the hang of passing and catching as quick as possible, hopefully meaning we can run lots of small games over the course of the day.

The lacrosse sessions will be on:

31st July - 2-6pm - Hyde Park
3rd August - 11am-8pm - Victoria Park
7th August - 4-8pm - Victoria Park.

If you are interested in helping out please let me know ASAP, either message me on here/reply to this thread with your full name and a contact email address, as well as which session you are available for. Alternatively you can email me at s.spurrell@englishlacrosse.co.uk.

You certainly don't have to commit to a whole day, but just a couple of hours helping out could go a long way in presenting lacrosse in the right way and allowing more people to try it out. You might also want to think of this as an opportunity to advertise your club to potential recruits. There will be people there from all over the country, so you never know who you might run in to! In addition, although London Live is a free event, by volunteering to help out you will be able to skip the queue to get in and once the lacrosse session is over, you can stick around to enjoy the event itself.

I need to get names ASAP so I can sign you up to get a security pass so please let me know before Friday at the latest! Any questions, let me know!
South East Club Development Officer
Ex-Brooklands Hulmeians
Ex-Cambridge University #1
Ex-South Unis #1
RobGooch

Re: Lacrosse at London Live

Postby RobGooch Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:56 pm

I passed this around the Spencer Lacrosse Club so hopefully someone from within our ranks can help. Shame these are all weekdays, which means for many of us (including myself) it will be tricky to take the time out of work.
samaleyo

Postby samaleyo Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 pm

I completely agree! It's not ideal, but then there are a lot of sports taking part, and only so many weekend! Unfortunately the initial schedule was handed to each NGB without our input so I would have had to come up with a good reason why we needed to have a weekend slot over another sport.

Responses so far have been really good, got lots of names down. Just a reminder that if anyone is keen then please let me know ASAP, at least by midday tomorrow so I can finalise numbers and arrange a schedule.

Sam.
Ex-Brooklands Hulmeians
Ex-South Unis #1
lax_mad_webborn

Postby lax_mad_webborn Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Do you need to be there the whole time? Conveniently I am traveling up to London on 3 rd August and may be able to help. Will know
More in a week when I'm back from Finland.
RobGooch

Postby RobGooch Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:46 pm

I understand Spencer & England Box's own Alan Keeley is helping out with the session this Friday. So all those of you who ave the luxury of no work commitments on a Friday afternoon - GET DOWN THERE. The session doesn't finish until 8pm so those who live/work near Victoria Park have little excuse.
petegriffin

Postby petegriffin Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 am

Looking forward to this!

Any news on how the Hyde Park event went?
Pete

Hillcroft A
DreadLAX
https://www.facebook.com/DreadLAX
samaleyo

Postby samaleyo Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:42 pm

petegriffin wrote:Looking forward to this!

Any news on how the Hyde Park event went?

It went really well!

Weather wasn't perfect, and there was a bit of rain, but we had an endless supply of enthusiastic participants and we had a good three hours of lacrosse in Hyde Park. I really would recommend London Live to anyone who is around in London, not just because of the lacrosse demonstrations, but it's a really great atmosphere and a good way to watch the games on big screens, plus music acts/other events.
Ex-Brooklands Hulmeians
Ex-South Unis #1
Dash43laxbra

Postby Dash43laxbra Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:03 pm

petegriffin wrote:<null>

Nope

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh