ProLaxShop

Mid-season talking points

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Tree13

Mid-season talking points

Postby Tree13 Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:46 pm

I've been taking a look at the league tables over the last couple of days and the figures suggest there are some interesting stories to be told. Not having any knowledge of some of the other divisions ( some would say I have no real knowledge of my own division, or lacrosse in general ) I was wondering if as a community we simply don't discuss much."There are dozens of pages on this board", I hear you cry but I think that there seems to be a lot of the same subjects churned up time and again - not that I am criticizing that, but I just think the online equivalent of general league gossip would be, well.... fun.

Imagine you were sat in the pub with your mates talking about Chelsea, City, United et al: that's the sort of conversation I'm thinking of.

So here are some topics:

1) Currently three points separate the top three in the prem - in fact, only six points separate the top five. Is it as close as the table suggests? Is there scope for Hitchin, Hillroft or Spencer to make up ground?

2) The goals scored/conceded figures indicate Purley and Bristol won't catch Welwyn and Cardiff, so lets assume they stay 9th and 10th: How would Purley fare if the east/west playoff runner-up challenged them? (let's assume it's one of EG, Buckhurst Hill, Birmingham or Bath)

3) On that point, Buckhurst narrowly beat Birmingham in flags: is that indicative of how things would go if the two met in an east/west playoff at the end of the year? Related to this, can Buckhurst catch EG in East 1? And what has caused the resurgence at Colchester?

4) Who's looking the most likely out of Bath, Brum and Pompey for the West 1 title?

5) Is East 2 the most competitive division in the south? Hillcroft A currently lead the pack, but most of their wins have been pretty close-run games.

There are talking points in every division - if we had a south lacrosse highlights tv show every week, what stories would they be talking about right now?
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
UKLaxfan

Re: Mid-season talking points

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:10 pm

nice post

The Aussies actually do produce their own weekly TV highlights show, so it can be done with the help of people willing to film some action and some IT savvy

This forum should be about discussing bigger things than just what the score was.

The clubs who are having a resurgence, why are they doing so?

Are any teams using new strategies (Zone Defence, Transition, Ball retention with a dominant FOGO etc)?

Who are the star players in each division. the new kids who have suddenly got it and developed their game?

Do some team have a dominant goalie who is helping cause upsets?

Are more goals being scored this season and if so why?

Has the new emphasis on dangerous High Hits had an impact on the game favouring the attack?

"Drive for Show - Put for Dough" - are their any great finishers out there who are clinical inside?

It's our game people, what's happening darn sarth
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Top post Mate. Sorry I haven't got time to post in full but will try. Look forward to reading the posts
mandy
Admin
Admin

Postby mandy Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:19 pm

One thing that jumps out is that Spencer's results have been all over the shop. Beating Hampstead and Hitchin as well as drawing with Blues, but then losing to Hillcroft and Reading. Does it just vary depending on who they have avaliable each week?
ahhh ... the whit
nabster

Postby nabster Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:38 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:help of people willing to film some action and some IT savvy

I hear Abini has contacts at Sky Sports?? :o

has anyone else seen the "ESPN Campus" thingy they use during the National Champs coverage? basically a profile of each player with some key stats
I know Blues prem pretty much regularly has spectators, and I'm sure every fixture will have at least 1 person able to watch and keep tally of some basic stats??

personnel stats, team stats...ref stats?? (who loves to call a slash or who is lenient maybe)

rather than divulge team strategies, maybe just a short "Match Report" from opposing captains on the opponents performance....

INTO Lacrosse have managed to post a Large volume of lax videos of their respective universities so its no impossible task to get a view highlights/photos, stats, match summary? :)
Cheadle 2012-?
Blues #45 2010-12
Central Manchester BNC team
South England Lacrosse
Tree13

Postby Tree13 Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:59 pm

nabster wrote:I know Blues prem pretty much regularly has spectators, and I'm sure every fixture will have at least 1 person able to watch and keep tally of some basic stats??

Yep. And that person Nabs.... is you :mrgreen:
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
nabster

Postby nabster Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Tree13 wrote:
nabster wrote:I know Blues prem pretty much regularly has spectators, and I'm sure every fixture will have at least 1 person able to watch and keep tally of some basic stats??

Yep. And that person Nabs.... is you :mrgreen:

I may be talented but that's a lot of numbers to keep track of in my head while I run past you...

the stats column for "time spent in the penalty box" will need to be made wider for your profile Kieran :D
Cheadle 2012-?
Blues #45 2010-12
South England Lacrosse
Whitey

Postby Whitey Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Could this be the first season since the play-off system where 2 team get relegated from the Prem?
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:38 pm

Whitey wrote:Could this be the first season since the play-off system where 2 team get relegated from the Prem?

Every year "could" be... I don't know if it will happen though. EG are bound to win the automatic promotion and they're the only team who you'd call favourites over Bristol or Purley. That leaves Portsmouth, Bath or Birmingham to play the 9th placed team in what could be a very interesting match, however you'd still back the prem team to win it.
jsgi

Postby jsgi Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:39 am

I would back EG to take the playoff for promotion.
As to who they will face in the east/west playoff is less sure. I suspect Bath.
Are Bristol able to get above Purley in the Prem?
No idea...I was impressed with the Bristol guys at the England trial on Sunday, but 3 players can only influence a team so I suspect not.
Are Bath able to rollover Purley?
I'm not sure.

Lots of food for thought next year.
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
nabster

Postby nabster Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:02 am

Ya those Bristol guys had some talent but from what they told me after was Bristol have lost many from their promo team last year...lot of uni guys stepping up, might be better for development back in West 1?

I'd say Bath be 2nd choice to go up but Buckhurst look like a contender?! (Spencer 2s obv can't be discussed)

Shall be an interesting year once again at the bottom of the Prem/top of div 1......and top of the Prem at that!!
Cheadle 2012-?
Blues #45 2010-12
South England Lacrosse
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:16 am

nabster wrote:Ya those Bristol guys had some talent but from what they told me after was Bristol have lost many from their promo team last year...lot of uni guys stepping up, might be better for development back in West 1?

Absolutely not... even though it's a tough year, we're learning far more from being in the prem than we ever did in west 1.

The main issue for us at the moment is scoring. Our defence have shown they are capable of holding their own but we need to create more at the other end of the field. All 3 of the starting attack from last year have left us (a yank, a canadian and a northerner), taking over 80% of the goals scored with them.
nabster

Postby nabster Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 am

Ya that's what the boys told me, would kill your offence and would need to adjust. Definitely going to learn a lot more in the Prem though for sure, just as long as keep working and don't let the struggles in offence get to you. See a load of uni kids heads go down when times get tough and lose interest
Cheadle 2012-?
Blues #45 2010-12
South England Lacrosse
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:22 pm

nabster wrote:
I know Blues prem pretty much regularly has spectators, and I'm sure every fixture will have at least 1 person able to watch and keep tally of some basic stats??

What sort of messed up dream world do you live in?
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Tree13

Postby Tree13 Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Rotisserie wrote:The main issue for us at the moment is scoring. Our defence have shown they are capable of holding their own but we need to create more at the other end of the field. All 3 of the starting attack from last year have left us (a yank, a canadian and a northerner), taking over 80% of the goals scored with them.

Never thought I'd see the day when someone would rue the departure of ShitManc :wink:
The stats seem to support what you're saying though, five of Bristol's losses have been by 3 goals or less, whereas the only close game Purley have been involved in was their two-goal victory over Bristol. This seems to suggest Bristol are closer to getting the wins needed to catch Purley than Purley are to catching up with Welwyn or Cardiff.....

Maybe Whitey is on to something - I think Pompey have lost their Blues lads, and Liam has gone to London, so would people rule them out of the West 1 race? If so, why would Purley be favourites over Bath and Brum? Bearing in mind Bath have a prem pedigree, wouldn't anyone bet in their favour over Purley? The last time there was a playoff between the east/west runner up and 9th-placed prem there was only 5 goals in it.

I still want to know what the hell has happened in Colchester, and what people's thoughts are on the 4-way slugfest at the top of East 2. And is there anyone from East 3 with thoughts on Norwich - still to play second-placed Welwyn 3's twice, any predictions?

EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
webby

Postby webby Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Rotisserie wrote:The main issue for us at the moment is scoring. Our defence have shown they are capable of holding their own but we need to create more at the other end of the field. All 3 of the starting attack from last year have left us (a yank, a canadian and a northerner), taking over 80% of the goals scored with them.

Sounds like Dom Sandy needs to pull his socks up and score some goals!
dom#10

Postby dom#10 Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:56 pm

webby wrote:

Sounds like Dom Sandy needs to pull his socks up and score some goals!

*more goals ;)
Bristol Bombers #10
Bristol Uni #10
ex-Reading Wildcats #10
nickspacey123

Postby nickspacey123 Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Norwich have played well in the first half of the season with some awesome results and as norwich coach im very proud of the players. At home were very good with a massive squad, now if only we could get 10 players for away games and stop playing with 9. welwyn home and away aswell as hitchin are going to be tough but look foward to the test.
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:57 pm

Having played Bath twice, Portsmouth once and missed the Brum game (but heard reports), my money is with Bath for W1. For the first time in probably 5 years, their young guns are more of a threat than the old timers (with the exception of Ken and Doug who are still capable of bossing the game from midfield) - the likes of Mike Carey, Lloyd Butler and Sam King have had a huge impact in the two games v quins a this season and I'd fancy their youthful confidence to see them hold their own in the prem too.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
Whitey

Postby Whitey Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:46 am

If Bath played Purley (I have played both team in the last 12 months)...

Bath would run them ragged, BUT I think if you beat the Bath youngsters up a bit they struggle. Purley are very capable of playing hard, I'm not sure in a one-off game that Bath would handle it. For me, assuming Bristol finish bottom, I think the 9th placed team are likely to stay up.

Unless EG intentionally lose the play-off game (then stuff the 9th placed team) to ensure an easier ride next season in the Prem!

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register