ProLaxShop

Looking to join a new club in S. Wales

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
KGB Lax

Looking to join a new club in S. Wales

Postby KGB Lax Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 am

Hey Guys, so I find myself moving to Wales and after months of missing my lax fix i'm looking to join one of the local teams. Local clubs are Cardiff Harlequins, UWIC, Penarth and Swansea. Some of the websites are a little outdated and I was just looking for the most up to date info on the clubs and any usefull knowledge out there.
I.E. Is UWIC student only? Any teams low on numbers for next season? Any good social aspects with some teams?

Thanks for any info,
Klaus
Cardiff Harlequins
Ex-Herts Comets
Collecting Appearances for Welwyn Warriors; Birmingham Bulls
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:14 am

Hey Klaus

I'm from Cardiff harlequins so i may have a little bias but i'll try to be objective for you

Penarth are a great family club although struggling for players at the mo and I know you'd be more than welcome there - they've got a young but talented squad that will be pushing for promotion back to the Prem in a few years if they keep together plus a few useful additions. I watched them last weekend and they really impressed. Speak to "cez" on here - thats Ceri Hill the captain - for more info

swansea - have struggled for numbers this year also but also have a great, youthful squad - depending on where in south wales you are, they could be your best bet

UWIC - i believe are going BUCS only next year - Paddy should be able to give you a bit more info

Harlequins - loads of experienced players to learn from, great club atmos and social life - we'd certainly welcome you.

clearly most of the time we'd pounce and give you the hard sell to join us, but with other teams in the area struggling for numbers, it does Quins no good to be the only club in the area. it really depends on what you're looking for
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:36 am

Should probably add that Cardiff are very likely to be playing trhe highest standard of lacrosse next year (very good chance of being in the Premiership).

Penarth and Swansea play in West 1, as will Cardiff's "A" team next year
UWIC play West 2 (maybe BUCS only as mentioned) and are predominantly (if not only) students.
Dubai Lacrosse #3
Topping

Re:

Postby Topping Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:46 pm

laxwill11 wrote:Hey Klaus

I'm from Cardiff harlequins so i may have a little bias but i'll try to be objective for you

Penarth are a great family club although struggling for players at the mo and I know you'd be more than welcome there - they've got a young but talented squad that will be pushing for promotion back to the Prem in a few years if they keep together plus a few useful additions. I watched them last weekend and they really impressed. Speak to "cez" on here - thats Ceri Hill the captain - for more info...

...clearly most of the time we'd pounce and give you the hard sell to join us, but with other teams in the area struggling for numbers, it does Quins no good to be the only club in the area. it really depends on what you're looking for

I think you're about right, Penarth will be at least one player (i.e me) down next season so game time is just about guarenteed. If you're looking to try and get into the highest tier 'Quins is the obvious choice but with the squad they have I'd imagine competition for places will be fierce.

And as always there's the distance from where you live to the club...

You're more than welcome at our training sessios and I'd imagine the same is true for the rest of the clubs too.
#9 Penarth ('08-'10)
Bath Uni 1st D( '10- 14)
#64 Bath (1s : '11-'12 ) (2's Captain '13- )
Konstanz Lacrosse ('12-'13)
Gav756

Re: Re:

Postby Gav756 Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:54 pm

Like Penarth Swansea are struggling for numbers. Youd be very welcome here, guess its whoever you live closest too!
cez

Postby cez Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 pm

I think as all the others have said it really is all about what your looking for, if your used to playing a high standard of lacrosse and would be looking for prem level the quins will be the best choice for you! if you looking for somwhere to develope as a player then i can say that from experience of training with both quins and penarth are very good places and im sure swansea have a good set up as well.

uwic are at the moment an entirly student team and if there looking to join bucks i dout that will change but its worth double checking with paddy

here at penarth we'd certanly welcome you, especialy if your a long pole as our defnece is looking as bit bare for next season, if you want any more info or training times etc just let me know :)
Penarth - #3 (Captain 2008 - 2010)
Wales u-19 - #24 2008 world championships
Welsh development - #38 2011 world championship festival
Cardiff uni - #38
kerrigan

Postby kerrigan Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:17 pm

If your after Prem, Then obviously quins is the choice at the moment, but if your looking more West 1 standard (before throwing open the debate again its similar to East 1 (providing the opposition turns up!!)) then theres not alot to pick between Swansea, Penarth and Quins 'A'. Without any bias :wink: Swansea may have a slight edge judging by league standings but will be interesting to see what quins A are like next season.

I would go judging by your location, any west of bridgend and I'd say Swansea. If not, its personal preference between Penarth and Quins 'A'
Swansea Hawks #9
Swansea Uni #9
SLL #66
X- Cardiff Uni #66
X- Cardiff Harlequins #24

Return to “UK Southern”