Best of the Best Question

All discussion about US junior lacrosse

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Coach Tom

Best of the Best Question

Postby Coach Tom Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:16 pm

What are the top 10 high schools in the US now! I started Heritage High schools club in 83. It's on the outskirts of Denver Colorado. I also played for Avon Old Farms in 1982.
Avon was renowned for strong Lacrosse is it still and has Heritage grown to be awesome??
Coach :twisted:
Talk trash to Coach!!!!
SWANSEA RULES!!!!!
UKLaxfan

Top Tens

Postby UKLaxfan Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:49 pm

Both LaxPower & IL do National HS Polls

LaxPower:

1 West Islip NY
2 Loyola-Blakefield MD
3 West Genesee NY
4 Boys' Latin MD
5 Delbarton NJ
6 Huntington NY
7 Georgetown Prep MD
8 Chaminade NY
9 Deerfield MA
10 John Jay-Cross River NY
11 Garden City NY
12 Downingtown East PA
13 Haverford School PA
14 Mountain Lakes NJ
15 Upper Arlington OH
16 Darien CT
17 Jamesville-DeWitt NY
18 Irondequoit NY
19 LaSalle College HS PA
20 St Paul's MD

If Huntington HS had won the NY State Finals they would be #1, they only lost one game in three years. John Jay beat them in the semis.
Coach Tom

Postby Coach Tom Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:03 am

surprised to see so few Prep schools from the north east!
But as the sport is growing I can only see one of our big rivals Deerfield Academy!
Damn those preppies we use to kick there a£$es every year. Gutted Avon Old farms has let those creeps catch up with them!!
Thanks for the up date! Where did you get the list?

Coach :cry:
Talk trash to Coach!!

SWANSEA RULES!!!
UKLaxfan

Avon Old Farms

Postby UKLaxfan Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:53 pm

Coach Tom

Postby Coach Tom Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:18 pm

Thanks for that !! It's a shame that Avon has dipped so much we would have never lost to Deerfield when I played especially by that margine! What an ass kicking. Ted gerber sounds familur to me. Any idea of his back ground cause I think he may have been an attackmen for UNH. I'll see if there is anything on him on google.

But really nice to see Lacrosse with nearly 2800 teams

Talk to ya

Talk trash to Coach!!

SWANSEA RULES!!!
6x6

US high school lax

Postby 6x6 Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:52 am

Coach, don't know if you get back to Colorado much but lax is exploding there along with California and Texas. While the northeast still dominates conversation, kids from the states mentioned are making inroads and many are playing college ball back east.
Coach Tom

Postby Coach Tom Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:38 pm

Thanks for getting back to this conversation. It's nice to see taxas getting into Lax.
All I can say is it's about time. What part of the great state of Texas are you from. I spent alot of time there in the late eighties? People just asked what your fishing net was for! Are you from Dallas Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio or my favorite Lobbock? I probably spelt that wrong but I love the sign when you go into it sayng "Home of Buddy Holly"
Keep us here in Wales Up to date of Texas Lax!!
Thanks
6x6
Talk trash to Coach!!

SWANSEA RULES!!!
6x6

Postby 6x6 Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:18 pm

Coach Tom wrote:Thanks for getting back to this conversation. It's nice to see taxas getting into Lax.
All I can say is it's about time. What part of the great state of Texas are you from. I spent alot of time there in the late eighties? People just asked what your fishing net was for! Are you from Dallas Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio or my favorite Lobbock? I probably spelt that wrong but I love the sign when you go into it sayng "Home of Buddy Holly"
Keep us here in Wales Up to date of Texas Lax!!
Thanks
6x6

Coach, sorry I've taken so long to reply! I'm in Houston. Moved here in 1976 after growing up in Rochester, NY. Father of a high school senior that has been playing for seven years now. Unlike some other states that have separate public school and private school leagues, in Texas everyone is lumped in together under the Texas High School Lacrosse League. I think the website is THSLL.org but if you search for it you should find it easily. On the college level most of the old Southwest conference teams play club ball in the Lone Star Alliance, which is part of the MCLA.

The sport is growing in high school but not without some growing pains. The private schools have fully funded school sponsored programs. Their coaches are full time, fully paid teachers or staff members. They can use school facilities, weight rooms, etc. Lacrosse is just another sport and their practice time is considered a class and part of their student's school day. On the other hand, the majority of the teams in the state are clubs. Coaches are part-time, some receive no pay at all, they volunteer to coach for the love of the sport. We have to beg schools for use of their fields, have to pay to use them and can only use them at times after all the school recognized sports are done. So, obviously, most of the better teams are private. The state is split into two divisions, DI and DII. Our club, the Cy-Fair Ironmen won the DII state championship in May. Our website is cyfairironmen.org. We have some good photos and video from last year's games. Also, some of the videos are on YouTube under Cy-Fair lacrosse.

Swansea eh? my wife's family is from North Wales and we have been over a number of times. Spent a few days in Mid Wales on one trip but haven't been down south yet, maybe next trip. We always have a great time each visit. Actually, I've contacted the Welsh lacrosse association about my son Trey trying out for the Under-19 team but haven't heard anything back yet. Don't know if we could even afford for him to do it if he was able to make the tryouts and was selected. I'm sure he'd have to go over a number of times to work out with the lads. It would be a great experience for him though.

Take care, all the best!
Hanny

Postby Hanny Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:01 am

List of the top 10 high schools in the US now.

SCHOOL NAME LOCATION

1 BASIS Charter (Tucson)
2 Talented and Gifted (Dallas )
3 Suncoast Community ** (Riviera Beach)
4 Science/Engineering Magnet (Dallas)
5 Stanton College Prep ** (Jacksonville)
6 Preuss UCSD (La Jolla)
7 Academic Magnet (North Charleston)
8 Paxon School for Advanced Studies ** (Jacksonville)
9 Oxford Academy (Cypress)
10 International School (Bellevue)
dunk

Postby dunk Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:56 pm

That's a joke, right?
eww

Postby eww Wed May 13, 2009 10:11 pm

I was going to say. You must be joking?
Ewan Willsmer
webby

Postby webby Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 pm

He's listed the top 10 US high schools academically, not for sport, as rated by newsweek.

Spam?
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
merseylaxjak21

Postby merseylaxjak21 Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Coach Tom,

Im currently playing at Avon Old Farms and we were preseason ranked 15th in the country. We have opened the season with a close 5-4 loss to McDonogh and two wins versus Western Reserve Academy and Worthington-Kilbourne.
After a few more games and some wins against the powerhouses we face (deerfield being ranked 5th) we should hopefully hold down a spot in the top 25.

Jak
UKLaxfan

Re:

Postby UKLaxfan Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:06 pm

merseylaxjak21 wrote:Coach Tom,

Im currently playing at Avon Old Farms and we were preseason ranked 15th in the country. We have opened the season with a close 5-4 loss to McDonogh and two wins versus Western Reserve Academy and Worthington-Kilbourne.
After a few more games and some wins against the powerhouses we face (deerfield being ranked 5th) we should hopefully hold down a spot in the top 25.

Jak

LaxPower & IL provide the best rankings of High School Lacrosse in USA but even they are sketchy

Too many teams that don't play each other so no accurate way of ranking them.

LaxPower Coaches/Computer Ratings
http://www.laxpower.com/update10/binboy/natlccr.php

Inside Lacrosse Power Rankings
http://insidelacrosse.com/rankingpoll/HS_Power
6x6

Re: Re:

Postby 6x6 Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:49 am

UKLaxfan wrote:
merseylaxjak21 wrote:Coach Tom,

Jak

LaxPower & IL provide the best rankings of High School Lacrosse in USA but even they are sketchy

Too many teams that don't play each other so no accurate way of ranking them.

LaxPower Coaches/Computer Ratings
http://www.laxpower.com/update10/binboy/natlccr.php

Inside Lacrosse Power Rankings
http://insidelacrosse.com/rankingpoll/HS_Power

Agreed about Laxpower being sketchy and I have little faith in that poll/ranking even with head to head ressults. My son's high school team won the state championhsip one year by a 7 goal margin yet the team they beat was ranked first at the end of the year. The next year his team only lost one game that being a rematch with the same team in the state championship. The team they beat in the semis by 4 goals was ranked higher than they were (2nd vs 3rd) at the end of the year. Go figure?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Return to “US Juniors”