Your NCAA D1 All American Team

All discussion about US college leagues in here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Rotisserie

Your NCAA D1 All American Team

Postby Rotisserie Thu May 19, 2011 11:33 am

Before this years All - American honours are announced I thought it'd be good to draft our own selections.

Here are mine:

GK - Austin Kaut (Penn State)
D - John Lade (Syracuse)
D - Ryan Flanagan (UNC)
D - Joel White (Syracuse)
LSM - Brian Karalunas (Villanova)
FOGO - Matt Dolente (Johns Hopkins)
M - Kevin Crowley (Stony Brook)
M - Roy Lang (Cornell)
M - Ryan Klipstein (Bucknell)
M - John Ranagan (Johns Hopkins)
A - Rob Pannell (Cornell)
A - Steele Stanwick (Virginia)
A - Mark Matthews (Denver)

I'd imagine they'll give GK position to Galloway, because he's at SU, even though Kaut out performed him all year. I also expect they won't give Karalunas and Mark Matthews the credit they deserve (Both should be tewaaraton finalists in my opinion).
tackers201

Re: Your NCAA D1 All American Team

Postby tackers201 Thu May 19, 2011 3:09 pm

SU get a tougher schedule than most teams so it's unfair to look at save percentage stats alone, and Galloway this year became the winningist goalie in the history of college lacrosse, which I think is significant, despite the fact that this honour includes a made up word. On the whole I agree, first year players get looked over more than they should, but I think it's a lot harder for say Billy Bitter to make an impression where every match they'll draw the opposition's best defender who knows their game inside out, whereas Nicky Galasso started the season as an unknown entity and put up 50 odd points. I think that's why juniors or seniors who have performed for 3 or 4 years on a string get the 1st team recognition, especially so if they're under the pressure of playing at a top programme with the toughest schedules looking to go deep in the NCAA tournament every year.
Bath University
Bath City
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Thu May 19, 2011 4:47 pm

I agree with your analysis of seniors often getting a tougher time because of their "fame" (e.g. the bitter/galasso analogy). But this doesn't necessarily follow for goalkeepers. Would you say that the shots Galloway received this year were any harder/more accurate than those any other D1 keeper receives? Possibly a bit but surely not by much? Also you have to bare in mind Galloway has possibly the best defence in the nation in front of him, forcing teams to take lower percentage shots. He's a great keeper but I can't help but feel being at a 'big dog' college massively increases your chances of getting noticed.
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Thu May 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Actually I think goalie in lacrosse is one of those positions where statistically your save percentage falls as your career progresses and you are more likely to get a stand out freshman.

The more games a college goalie plays the more he can be scouted and the more game footage is recorded. Easier to isolate their weaknesses.
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
tackers201

Postby tackers201 Thu May 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Not only is there however many tapes of Galloway for opposition coaches to watch, but let's face it, if a team is playing Syracuse I don't think they'd leave a stone unturned in terms of preparation, and I think going into the game players will know exactly where they want to be shooting. I don't necessarily think they'd take low percentage shots either (as assumedly their possessions would be of pretty big importance to them). Think of it like in football, it was easy for Ben Foster to look brilliant in goal for Birmingham or Watford but when he played for Manchester United and had to make a save every half, it requires a different level of skill and concentration. What would you say requires more skill, Kaut facing 20 shots on goal and making 12 saves or Galloway facing 8 and making 4, when each one is shot to his weaknesses and not very often?

The other point is the schedules. Taking the teams in the NCAA tournament for example, Galloway has faced Duke, Cornell, Notre Dame, Villanova, Virginia, Johns Hopkins and Denver. Kaut has played Notre Dame, Villanova, Bucknell, Delaware and Hofstra, and not to mention plenty of teams that probably wouldn't want to play Syracuse. You can probably tell that my revision is going pretty well..
Bath University
Bath City
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Thu May 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Haha, i only started this thread to avoid doing my own revision. Glad I could provide some procrastination to others! Good point about the game tape analysis. I'd imagine it does give teams the upper hand. I wouldn't say facing better teams has an impact though. Sure, syracuse has a tougher schedule, but they are also a far better team than Penn State. In fact their schedule is actually easier relative to them.

On another note, anyone care to suggest others for the list? I struggled when thinking of midfield. Apart from Crowley I didn't think there were any really obvious picks.
davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Thu May 19, 2011 9:26 pm

From the limited footage I've seen, Crowley looks a pale shadow of his pre-World Series self.
How about,
Chris LaPierre
John Haldy
Jeremy Thompson
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
LPierce

Postby LPierce Sat May 21, 2011 1:15 am

No Stephen Keogh? I'm not just saying him as he's at Syracuse. The number of times he's saved them this season.. Definitely would be on my All-American list. Good shout on Karalunas though especially considering how under-recruited he was and how much of an impact he's been for Villanova.
AUMLC #5 2008-2013
AUMLC Secretary 2011/12
AUMLC Captain 2012/13
Granite City Gladiators #5 2008-2013
Scotland U21 #5 BNCs 2011
Lax Bandicoot #5
Yorkshire #5 BNCs 2012
Wilmslow #55 2013-

All posts by this user are personal opinions and do not speak for any team or organisation as a whole.
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Sat May 21, 2011 9:10 am

I heavily considered keogh. I just couldn't really find space in the top 3. Pannell is obvious, and while i feel stanwick is overrated i can't ignore the number of times he's impacted big games. If it was Actually a team that played together id probably pick keogh, bitter and pannell.

Return to “US College”