ProLaxShop

Northern Counties

Play in the Northern Divisions? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
ArmourAsh

Northern Counties

Postby ArmourAsh Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:16 am

It has been suggested that the England management are taking over this year's county games. Certainly, England squad players have been informed that they should be prepared to re-commit to their counties this year.

As far as I know the Cheshire v Lancashire game is on December 4th, which means organisation must be well under way... what is the word on the street? Who will coach these teams, when do they hold tryouts, and when will they practice?

AA
bdmitch

Postby bdmitch Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:26 pm

About time too, the county games were becoming a farce, with people turning up on the day and getting to play!!
snooplax

Postby snooplax Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:59 pm

As a club we have heard nothing about any trials.
Will there be one?
Whitey

Postby Whitey Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:05 pm

The answer would appear to be there are no trials... perhaps the England training squad & England Academy are the basis of the 2 sides.

Surely it will be a comfortable victory for Cheshire if the 2005 British Nationals are anything to go by. Especially when you consider Jamie Gallagher and John Beadle seemed to feature quite prominently in that Lancashire side, and they will be unavailable.
batts

Postby batts Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:49 pm

All I know is that England were looking after it. There was no mention of County training/trials. The only date I've heard of is the game date!
The future's bright, the future's gold and black
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:19 pm

That's a shame; even if players aren't in contention for England places (through work commitments etc), it's still useful for them to play against players who are / may be going to give them as tough a match as possible.
batts

Postby batts Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:08 pm

Yeh defo. There should be some sort of trial.
The future's bright, the future's gold and black
AlexNic

Postby AlexNic Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:43 pm

I'm confused...
south of england are having trials (see other posts) - that suggests the other teams should be too...
who from 'england' is running it? anybody have a clue?
ArmourAsh

Northern Counties

Postby ArmourAsh Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:03 pm

When anyone uses the phrase "England Management" I presume its a combination of Elwood/Caplin and a selection of the assistants. South are having two sets of trials (well done Whitey) - but it looks increasingly like the North Counties are going to be used as an excuse to have an England Men's inter-squad scrimmage. Presumably, this is what was meant when the England guys took it over... not exactly the correct use of the county system.

Incidently, looking at the stats and knowing roughly who is where, I imagine that the North alone could raise a squad of non-national team players that could challenge the England boys, throw in an LDO squad and you could have a pretty handy triangular tournament... would be fun and alot more inclusive (thats what the counties should be, by the way)...

AA
UKLaxfan

Northern Counties

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:22 pm

I don't have any information on the County set up this year, but the Lancashire vs Cheshire fixture used to be on level pegging with the Flags Final as the biggest game of the year.

There also used to be a regional tournament where games were played Home or Away on alternate years. Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire and South of England.

AA raises a good point for competition, the England Squad has lots of opportunities to play games vs the remainder of teams, as well as an LDO + guests team if they so wished.

One of the advantages England have Internationally is that 90% of the Team live close to each other so arranging fixtures vs England shouldn't be a problem.

The British National Championships is an excellent tournament at the end of the season in May, but there is no reason why full fixtures can't be reintroduced between the Counties.

Are Yorkshire or South of England playing any full games this season?

What about English Universities do they have any full length International Rules fixtures lined up this year?

I'm sure Wales will be looking for fixtures as well in the build up to 2006 World Games.

Is there any interest in having County games?

I was involved with Lancashire Junior Teams last year and wanted to arrange games vs Yorkshire & South of England at U16 level, but this didn't come to fruition. It doesn't mean it can't happen some other time.

This is one of the benefits of the Forum, if enough people want to play, it's possible to arrange fixtures.

UKLF 8)
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:20 pm

I heard that the Yorkshire team will be selected after playing a Yorkshire Unis side...but not sure how official that is, or even where i heard it!
Two Up!
SIMO

Postby SIMO Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:02 pm

Heard the Official Cheshire v Lancashire Game will be played next year sometime......
snooplax

Postby snooplax Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:06 pm

Trials???? :roll:
hippoborntolocalgirl

Postby hippoborntolocalgirl Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:43 pm

to play for yorkshire, do you have to play for a yorkshire club or live in yorkshire? What are the criteria?
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:45 pm

For starters you have to be able to play...

Do you know of someone...? :D
hippoborntolocalgirl

Postby hippoborntolocalgirl Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:50 pm

Nah...I heard Gary Gait was moving to Moorthorpe!
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:04 pm

Denzil and Tim Sayers for Yorkshire trial!!
Jewellery,Wooden Shafts,Lacrosse Antiques,Lax Art * Random kit
ArmourAsh

Cheshire v Lancashire

Postby ArmourAsh Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:48 am

Its official:
Cheshire v Lancashire will be played on December 18th at Wilmslow @ 2pm. The game will exclusively feature England players, there has been no effort to include anyone else by way of trial or invitation - unless it has been on a one on one basis by the England Coaching staff??? There will be a charge on the gate of £2 (£1 for Juniors), from 11.45 - the U16 game is at midday.

A couple of thoughts about this...

Would it be unreasonable for the proceeds of this event to be put toward improving the county set-up back to its old standard or to move it in line with all the other minor sports county structure (including women's lax) as a bone fide development level within the game? I won't be too cynical and suggest I know where the kitty is actually headed...

If you are going to pay to see the 'best' players in a county game, wouldn't it be good to see all of them? Certainly, Danny Hodgson is the best player in the North if you go by stats, and looking down the list, how many other players will not be included, for whatever reason?

Regardless of these gripes, I will be at the game to support the guys that are involved, it should be a good contest to bring younger and/or new players to, and give them something to aspire to...

AA
dmiddie

Postby dmiddie Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:20 pm

Will the 9 US based players be there?
hippoborntolocalgirl

Postby hippoborntolocalgirl Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:39 pm

Whatever next? Maybe the England selectors will pick the teams for each of the premier clubs on a Saturday too. And take the subs.

To me this seems like a minor disaster for English lacrosse. It is basic psychology that goal setting needs to be achievable. Many players aspire to play at the next level up, achieving this often spurs them on to greater things. Just being selected for trails is a huge and exciting achievement, which can bolster players to achieve greater things. Removing trails and replacing it with a National Scrimmage game, and having the nerve to call it ‘County Lacrosse’, in my view is myopic, even despotic, and further tarnishes the national setup as elitist.

I presume this has happened because the county system has become unworkable financially or otherwise?

I agree that the money and the efforts of EL should go straight back into rebuilding the County setup as was.

Return to “UK Northern”