ProLaxShop

competitive match

Play in the Northern Divisions? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
the pom

Re: competitive match

Postby the pom Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:14 am

LivTeamJones26 wrote:
the pom wrote:
I am not saying it never happened but it happened less than you think I think it was used as an excuse for teams that were not up to the mark.

Maybe, though I still remember being in a relegation scrap with a certain B team many years ago and we got hammered 18-1, then beat them 14-8 with the same team. Guess which day the A team wasn't playing......

the situation could be though they are better than you and the 18-1 scores was correct and the 14 to 8 win to you was was because they were under strength?
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
the pom

Postby the pom Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:17 am

Cheadle first team was training. whilst our game was on
so even though they could have loaded the team they did not playing what should have been one of their toughest games of the year.
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
LivTeamJones26

Postby LivTeamJones26 Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:26 am

the pom wrote:
the situation could be though they are better than you and the 18-1 scores was correct and the 14 to 8 win to you was was because they were under strength?

They got relegated and we didn't, so I would say they had to have been under strength for the majority of the year.......
Liverpool Lacrosse #5
Liverpool Lacrosse Fixtures Sec 2012-13
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:17 pm

I am not saying it never happened but it happened less than you think I think it was used as an excuse for teams that were not up to the mark.

I would classify this statement as disingenuous

Full Internationals have played on B teams in Old Div 3 or even A teams in Div 5.

I've known players who have played on all teams (1st/A/B/C) in a single season regularly transitioning up and down the leagues on a whim of where and when they wanted to play.

I've also known where a club B team attack was the strongest in the club as they didn't want to play up on the A-team or 1st.

The old structure was systemically biased to the bigger multi team clubs at the direct expense of smaller or single team clubs who got screwed out of promotion or avoiding relegation by cherry picking selections of bigger clubs.

this current fascination of score differential as a measure of the quality of the game is interesting.

there is an argument that enjoyment or pleasure of competition should be measured by did you play the best you could and "mine the ore of your potential" rather than the arbitrary final score.

John Wooden: the difference between winning and succeeding
http://youtu.be/0MM-psvqiG8
the pom

Postby the pom Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:16 pm

LivTeamJones26 wrote:
the pom wrote:

They got relegated and we didn't, so I would say they had to have been under strength for the majority of the year.......

being under strength is the norm for an A team even more so B and C
the pom

Postby the pom Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:37 pm

there is an argument that enjoyment or pleasure of competition should be measured by did you play the best you could and "mine the ore of your potential" rather than the arbitrary final score.

to compete it has to be competitive and to try your hardest is almost bullying.

should we shut of on that weak player and strip him every time he gets the ball.

if their keeper is week should we just keep putting in long range shots trying as hard as you can.
should we see if we can score a goal where every one does a round the back passes

I think if you saw the games now you would be shocked at how low it has sunk.

the kids coming though(normally in bigger clubs) are being deprived of good lacrosse. they are not going to move clubs they are just stopping playing and moving to other sports.

I know the future is not having junior lacrosse and just having people start at uni join clubs after they finish the model adopted by football rugby and hockey and most other sports
that way it is nice and even and anyone can play top level lacrosse no matter how skilful or talented they are

but to good at the top level you need to start kids young(yes there are exceptions) but in general this is the best route.
now these kids either break through straight on to the first team in prem one or are consigned to playing crap games most of the season in what are the most formative years.

the current structure was for the short term gain of a few clubs at the expense of a lot of teams
LivTeamJones26

Postby LivTeamJones26 Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:04 am

the pom wrote:
being under strength is the norm for an A team even more so B and C

Sorry Pom but I think you're grasping a bit with this line. If it's the norm for a team to be under strength, then it isn't under strength, that's just the level of your team!
Liverpool Lacrosse #5
Liverpool Lacrosse Fixtures Sec 2012-13
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Sounds like Pom needs a Hug

Return to “UK Northern”