ProLaxShop

New Nemla Teams next season?

Play in the Northern Divisions? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
LivTeamJones26

New Nemla Teams next season?

Postby LivTeamJones26 Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:14 pm

A quick glance at the BUCS Prem North, Durham beat Sheffield Uni 39-0 (gulp) on Wednesday

Has anyone tried getting them into NEMLA? A new team that has Prem 1 potential and probably won't struggle to raise a squad........
Liverpool Lacrosse #5
Liverpool Lacrosse Fixtures Sec 2012-13
UKLacrosse

Re: New Nemla Teams next season?

Postby UKLacrosse Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:22 am

LivTeamJones26 wrote:A quick glance at the BUCS Prem North, Durham beat Sheffield Uni 39-0 (gulp) on Wednesday

Has anyone tried getting them into NEMLA? A new team that has Prem 1 potential and probably won't struggle to raise a squad........

Rumours abounded at the time that one of the reasons for the NEMLA restructuring was to allow Durham to join
the league without having to start at the bottom. Reason given, or rumoured at the time, was that they couldn't commit to the time/ costs.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:28 am

It's all about BUCS for Durham, it's the way they justify the reduced fees to the Uni.
wimmerlax

Postby wimmerlax Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Also if you were a yank, over to do your masters and having already played 4 years of lax at uni, it'd be hard to give up your weekends to travel down to manchester and back every week
LivTeamJones26

Postby LivTeamJones26 Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Lack of time seems a bit weak, they must've travelled miles for some games in college, how would this be any different for anyone else in nemla chalking up the miles...

They can still win BUCS and play in Nemla... it just seems to me hammering everyone week in week out would be boring....
Liverpool Lacrosse #5
Liverpool Lacrosse Fixtures Sec 2012-13
wimmerlax

Postby wimmerlax Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:45 pm

My point is Ol in your masters year of uni in England would you rather do a 10 hour round trip most saturdays or stay in durham and get ratted and shark on rich girls? :wink: i personally wouldn't fancy going back to the stuipd road trips we had every week at uni
Phil

Postby Phil Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:03 pm

UKLacrosse wrote:
LivTeamJones26 wrote:A quick glance at the BUCS Prem North, Durham beat Sheffield Uni 39-0 (gulp) on Wednesday

Rumours abounded at the time that one of the reasons for the NEMLA restructuring was to allow Durham to join
the league without having to start at the bottom. Reason given, or rumoured at the time, was that they couldn't commit to the time/ costs.

Now that's interesting because I heard wanted to go in at Prem 1, but were told they would have to go in at the bottom and didn't want to spend a couple of seasons working up to the top.

Phil
wimmerlax

Postby wimmerlax Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Think it was in order to make the climb alot quicker.. Prem 3 to 1 in two seasons, rather then Div 5 to Prem in 4 seasons
ibop
League Mod
League Mod

Postby ibop Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Being fairly close to the situation, I reckon Sour has it closest, there is nothing in it for the uni in putting a team into NEMLA, BUCS is the only thing that brings in finance. They only pay lip service to having a real interest in the long game and whilst the success continues they will carry on. They could easily get a saturday side out, it wouldn't need to only be their first team, as there are able players on the seconds who would very much benefit from playing those kind of games. They are only in Durham for 10 weeks per term, so fitting all the games in might be a squeeze.
The only time he takes his foot out of his mouth, is to put the other one in!

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne #4 08-
Durham #4 05-09
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:23 pm

It would be wrong to say that the league reorganisation was for the benefit of Durham. It would be accurate to say that it was done in the hope of a number of University based teams entering the Northern League, and that really still needs to happen for the good of the game.

I am really disappointed that Durham have not entered a team into the North League. As I understand it the Uni has a large number of registered players, so a team is surely feasible even without the superstars of the BUCs squad. Personally I am hoping Lincoln work out, that York have another go, that Lancaster try to get it together. Optimistic I know, but we live in hope
toonlax

Postby toonlax Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:56 pm

If Durham students want to play NEMLA lacrosse then the club 15miles north would be a great place to start. Easily accessible by train but also a number of non students drive from the Durham area, so plenty of lifts available. That way, Newcastle could run two or more teams which would give an opportunity for the club to progress and develop.
whopead

Postby whopead Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:57 pm

I think Lincoln and Stoke need as much support as possible in the league. Nottingham took 2 refs to them today to help out which they greatly appreciated. I hope both teams and Oldham, Chester, HMG etc are supported in playing.
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:27 am

From a growth point of view a Durham team would be better than 2 Newcastle teams, one of which would have to play in North 3. That does not mean that two club set ups could not cooperate, share resources, train jointly etc.

Whophead, you are right. new clubs cannot just be left to make it on their own, and established clubs in trouble should expect help and support from the league organisation and other clubs to get over tough times.

NEMLA needs to develop and adopt a new approach to their role, and start being proactive in supporting clubs. That would be helped if some new faces with new ideas put their hats into the ring as management committee members. A good start would be to look at Uni teams as part of the pathway to future growth encouraging and supporting their involvement in League North.

Return to “UK Northern”