ProLaxShop

Defensive heads

Want any advice on equipment? Or to review a piece of equipment? This is the place

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Passnow2797

Defensive heads

Postby Passnow2797 Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:44 am

Alright, my stupid encore broke the other day in a game. I'm trying to find a replacement but can't be sure on any of my choices. I want something flexible that it can bend back if it warps on checks, and it actually has to last, throat size and scoop doesn't matter. Mid range prices are what I'm hoping for. If I could get feedback on my choices that'd be great. Or go ahead and recommend something to me. I don't want to hear about x10s and cruddy heads.
My options:
Brine clutch x (maybe 2x)
Revo pro 2.0 (very popular, but not a fantastic all around head)
Brine edge or edge x (no superlights, heard edges have bad hold)
Brine blueprint or blueprint x(great lsm head but not the strongest, great price though)
Stx surgeon (not sure, the head is meant much more for attack and midi)
hatswell

Re: Defensive heads

Postby hatswell Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:17 am

From personal experiance the best heads I've used are:

Revolution 2.0 - Prefer this to the Pro. Quiet strong and holds shape nicely. Good hold and GBs aren't too bad.
Brine Edge. Really liked this. really good scoop and hold it subjective to how you string it.
STX X2. If you find one, keep it and love it! they are the best head I've ever used!
STX Bionic. Very nice, warps a little but nice hold and scoop.
There's no such thing as 'OFF-SEASON'
webby

Postby webby Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:39 pm

There are a number of threads on this already!

I have gone through a lot of heads and my two go-to sticks are now the Brine Cyber Pro and Brine Edge X.

Edge is slightly wider which I prefer for groundballs and interceptions, and I have strung it in a way that means I get great hold. Cyber Pro is slightly stiffer with a more pinched face (but still wide compared to others), but is heavier than the Edge. Neither warp or bend with checks.

Comments on your list-

Brine clutch x (maybe 2x) - too flexible and weak.
Revo pro 2.0 - decent head, had one before my Cyber Pro but began to warp. Has now broken at the throat.
Brine blueprint or blueprint x - never used one, have heard they are prone to breaking
Stx surgeon - have heard these too are prone to snapping at the sidewalls.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:10 am

webby wrote:There are a number of threads on this already!

I have gone through a lot of heads and my two go-to sticks are now the Brine Cyber Pro and Brine Edge X.

Edge is slightly wider which I prefer for groundballs and interceptions, and I have strung it in a way that means I get great hold. Cyber Pro is slightly stiffer with a more pinched face (but still wide compared to others), but is heavier than the Edge. Neither warp or bend with checks.

Comments on your list-

Brine clutch x (maybe 2x) - too flexible and weak.
Revo pro 2.0 - decent head, had one before my Cyber Pro but began to warp. Has now broken at the throat.
Brine blueprint or blueprint x - never used one, have heard they are prone to breaking
Stx surgeon - have heard these too are prone to snapping at the sidewalls.

seconded, but replace the Edge X with an E3.

I've destroyed clutch in just under 6 months, blew all 4 sidewalls on a poke check
I've seen revo's self destruct on ground balls after a fair bit of abuse and I personally don't like the scoop on them
The blueprint looks about as beefy as a clutch, so not a durable D head
The surgeon doesn't get many good reviews as a D head on lax.com and doesn't look all that durable either.

I'd go with a cyber pro personally.
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:47 am

Cyber Pro is no longer available, though some US dealers may have them.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
webby

Postby webby Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Mort rotu wrote:seconded, but replace the Edge X with an E3.

Snapped an E3 right through the entire sidewall just above the neck after a few months. Too pinched for my personal preference but I like the head in general, just not necessarily for D.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:55 pm

webby wrote:
Mort rotu wrote:seconded, but replace the Edge X with an E3.

Snapped an E3 right through the entire sidewall just above the neck after a few months. Too pinched for my personal preference but I like the head in general, just not necessarily for D.

I broke the throat on mine with a slap check, It had lasted a full season until then without any troubles.

UKLacrosse wrote:Cyber Pro is no longer available, though some US dealers may have them.

NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!! any idea why?
Soton Uni #33 05-12
P.Pexton

Postby P.Pexton Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Shame about the Cyber Pro! Definitely my first choice head.

I also particularly like the STX Profile. Have a look at that also. Similarly have a look at the STX Proton U. I believe it's been a popular choice among the yank colleges for a while.
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 am

Forgot about the Savage 7, cheap as chips and stiff as a spade with a good scoop once you get used to it (It will improve your GB technique). However I have just broken mine at the throat on a slap check after ~15 months of heavy abuse.
Soton Uni #33 05-12

Return to “Discussion”