ProLaxShop

What pads should I wear?

Want any advice on equipment? Or to review a piece of equipment? This is the place

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
djones3291

What pads should I wear?

Postby djones3291 Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Basically this year our University team is competing in a BUCS league for the first time, and although I currently have arm guards and shoulder pads (as well as gloves and helmet obviously) I was wondering what everyone would recommend for an attacking player (not sure if I'll be playing midi or attack yet) with a short stick in terms of what pads to wear? Obviously arm protection is a must but I'm looking to review what I wear on my torso at least. Should I be wearing shoulder pads, rib pads or both and what brand etc would you recommend?

Thanks,

Dan Jones
University of Lincoln Lacrosse
Lincoln City Lacrosse #11
julius125

Re: What pads should I wear?

Postby julius125 Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:38 pm

definitely rib pads, they'll get battered a lot by the long sticks... as for shoulders, some players don't bother, depends how much of a balance you want between protection and freedom of movement, experiment with different pairs like liners/hard capped ones to find what you're happy with...
fight, dress your wounds, then fight again...

Croydon #51
Kent Lacrosse #51

Any views expressed by 'julius125' are not necessarily those held by Croydon Lacrosse Club, who should not be held responsible for any offence that may be interpreted from my posts on any forums.
djones3291

Postby djones3291 Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks very much mate! Where should I look for rib pads and which do you recommend? I already have shoulder pads so I can experiment with them.
Lincoln City Lacrosse #11
julius125

Postby julius125 Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm using the players club ones by Warrior, flexible, protective and haven't let me down at all, about £50 off UkLacrosse... Haven't really tried any others so don't know if the extra cash is worth it, about £20 for the basic ones, but a worthwhile investment when you're getting constantly hit, checked and pushed around the ribs...

Only place I really know to look is UkLacrosse for Warrior/Brine gear, but nothing stopping you having a look around elsewhere...
fight, dress your wounds, then fight again...

Croydon #51
Kent Lacrosse #51

Any views expressed by 'julius125' are not necessarily those held by Croydon Lacrosse Club, who should not be held responsible for any offence that may be interpreted from my posts on any forums.
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:26 pm

I'd say wear whatever makes you feel comfortable, and confident that you can go into any situation

If you feel you need more pads. Get more. If you don't, then don't bother!
Two Up!
the pom

Postby the pom Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:05 pm

a box is more important than shoulder pads and missing from your list a shot to the nuts is a killer
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
kiddo

Postby kiddo Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Sour37 wrote:I'd say wear whatever makes you feel comfortable, and confident that you can go into any situation

I agree, its a personal thing depending on what your comfortable with...However i would say rib pads are pointless but thats just me
dom#10

Postby dom#10 Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:29 pm

kiddo wrote:
Sour37 wrote:I'd say wear whatever makes you feel comfortable, and confident that you can go into any situation

I agree, its a personal thing depending on what your comfortable with...However i would say rib pads are pointless but thats just me

have to agree with kiddo, ive never worn rib pads, and a box is essential. Plus dont go for bulky shoulder pads IMHO.
Bristol Bombers #10
Bristol Uni #10
ex-Reading Wildcats #10
Demus

Postby Demus Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:43 am

It's all personal preference but I haven't worn rib pads in about 6 years. I always wear shoulder pads though to prevent the occassional check coming onto my colour bone from doing serious harm and because they offer a little upper arm protection. The type of pads depends on how quick you are, attackmen who like to power through probably need more pads but if you rely on quickness as say a middie you can be OK with less.

If you do get rib pads, I'd say just get whatever you find that's cheap and light but that's because I don't tend to be hit there often.

The same for SPs-I find minimalism is better as IMHO they're only really meant for the odd bad hit. A bit of upper arm protection is cool but otherwise go for pads that aren't too bulky-maybe even just get liners. I have G-Forces and love them.

It can be worth getting a good pair of gloves though and to a lesser extent arm pads (you just want them to be flexible with decent protection) as this is where you need both flexibility and where you'll be hit the most often. I sell Gait APs for around £22 but I only have mediums.

As for brands...I'd just say look at all of them, compare the prices and look for reviews on the internet. Some brands make good models some years and then less so in subsequent years and a lot of it is personal preferenc enayway.

I'd highly recommend a box....all it takes is one bad slash and it normally happens when you forget to wear one.
http://www.monstermesh.co.uk - The Best for Mesh! (and now also scandium shafts,heads, gloves, balls, dye and tape!)

Return to “Discussion”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register