Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of the ELA men's rules can be found here
young_trig

England Trials

Postby young_trig Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:02 am

So how did the trials go this weekend?
Would anyone care to share there thoughts about the overall standard and format of the day? Would be interested to know how many people attended who don't traditionally play for one of the manchester/stockport clubs.

Was the trial over 2 days or did you get to pick a day to attend?
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
whopead

Postby whopead Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Trial was a 2 day affair. though one or 2 only attended 1 day. I heard 66 in all.
Format on the 1st day at the Dome.

There was an extensive warm up for everyone run by coach Green.

Then we split into 3 groups (D and goalies, Middies, Attack)

3 stations. 1) Fitness testing (Bleep test, Standing jump, t-sprint and a 40 metre sprint.)
2) Awareness and co-ordination test (sequnces running to cones in a square, footwork drills and hand eye co-ordination/communication drills. also a number of limited space handling drills).
3) Skills session (Including 6v6 focusing on communication and positioning. Followed by e-ball (very interesting with 5 v 5 all poles!!)).

The second day at Wilmslow was a pure lacrosse day.

Following another extensive warm up and some basic handling drills the trialists were split into 3 groups again, with most of the new trialists in one group.
The day continued with 1v1, 2v,1 3v2, 3v2 basketball drill, build up drill then into 6v6.

The day finished with 3 full sided 20 min games.

I personally found the whole weekend a great experience and well worth the effort. the standard of the poles seemed high with about 18 trying out.

I currently play for Nottingham so arent from one of said clubs, though am and ex-wilmslow player! I did however start playing lacrosse at Uni and have not come up therough the junior ranks.

from what i can remember

1 guy came from Bath
1 from York Uni
1 from Staffs uni
Matt Bagley from Blues
4or 5 Americans who came over to trial.
3-5 from Sheffield

I think most others were from manchester (or surrounds).

In all a top weekend of lacrosse
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Think it's still disapointing more South players don't go to trial...

I know it's a long way to travel, but the quality of the South divisions has improved immeasurably over the last few years and I would think that a lot of the better South Prem players in particular could give some of the Manchester gents a good run for their money. Would be good to have more people going and showing the North the North-South divide is closing!
Dubai Lacrosse #3
Moley

England Trials

Postby Moley Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:41 pm

A very worthwhile session of lacrosse for all who attended. The standard was high all around from what I could see, nobody looked out of their depth or like they were wasting there time being there. Certainly training with the poles there looked to be a lot of competition. Playing e-ball (essentially box lacrosse whith full size goals) with all long sticks was one of the most insane experiences of my life. Good luck to the coaching staff trimming that lot to a training squad.

It was dissapointing that while there was several Americans trying out that had made the trip over there did not seem to be any southerners. From what I have seen of the south (at the BNC's etc.) there could have been a good number of players in contention. Come on guys, it was not that far for a one off weekend, some people came thousands of miles.
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:49 pm

Just an aside SEMLA had a full set of fixtures over that weekend and competition is quite tight at the top of the Prem this season. Not an excuse but perhaps better communication and co-ordination over the dates may have been of benefit to those on the fringes of considering attending.

Sounds like the coaches did another great job with the programme for the trials - good luck to the coaches and those who tried out.
young_trig

Postby young_trig Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:54 pm

That's a good point actually. NEMLA left the weekend open for the trials.
Where did the communication break down with SEMLA?
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
whopead

England Trials

Postby whopead Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:11 am

That being said, Matt Bagley did come up for the sunday! may have been worth others coming for the day!
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:01 pm

i coudl be wrong on this, but I think the weekend before was originally left open for intl training (hence wales trained on the sunday)... did NEMLA change the fixtures from 10th/11th to 3rd/4th?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
Chilli

Postby Chilli Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:36 pm

I don't know when the dates were chosen but the SEMLA fixtures were drafted in June and distributed to Clubs for 6 weeks feedback, finalised in July.
If the dates had been proposed before then the SEMLA Fixture Sec could have asked the Clubs for their preferences.
Events like this need planning well in advance for the benefit of all.
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:49 pm

The dates were proposed at a meeting of the MPC Special Events committee on the 19th June 2008 which was then issued to MPC reps, and presumably to clubs for comment.

I posted the details on the Forums on 20th June, so the dates were out in the public domain within the SEMLA consultation period!
KebabLax05

Re:

Postby KebabLax05 Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:50 pm

laxwill11 wrote:i coudl be wrong on this, but I think the weekend before was originally left open for intl training (hence wales trained on the sunday)... did NEMLA change the fixtures from 10th/11th to 3rd/4th?

they did change it, but it was quite early in the season
fifteen peter twenty

Postby fifteen peter twenty Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:46 pm

DommoBath wrote:Think it's still disapointing more South players don't go to trial...

I know it's a long way to travel, but the quality of the South divisions has improved immeasurably over the last few years and I would think that a lot of the better South Prem players in particular could give some of the Manchester gents a good run for their money. Would be good to have more people going and showing the North the North-South divide is closing!

There are some players who could give it a shot, Will and Alan from Spencer from recent memory but the rest of the list would be mainly american. The problem is the game is not good enough in the south yet. The standard is nowhere near comparable.

Did Darren Baythorpe trial? Noticed he has been banging them in this season. Chris Bland? Chris Mountney? Paul Fullerton?
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:50 pm

None of the above.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team

Return to “Men's”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register