ProLaxShop

Rule Check

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
cherrybomb
League Mod
League Mod

Rule Check

Postby cherrybomb Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:11 am

Just checking something...

When cradling, is it illegal to cover the open area of the head (eg thumbing), or is it illegal to touch the plastic at all?

I thought it was the latter but others have recently told me that you are allowed to hold the bottom of the head as long as you arent protecting the ball.
Snowy #33 @ UWIC (but really Cardiff!) SLL #30

President & Vice Captain 06/07

UWICLACROSSE.CO.UK
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:02 am

Touching any part of the head, including the throat is an offence
dmiddie

Postby dmiddie Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:39 am

Has to be. Just think it through.......if you cover the open face in any way with the gloved hand then it restricts the ball from coming out....and how's a ref supposed to make a judgement on that?......so logic says it has to be as Moaning Git states.
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:22 am

I better clarify, this was discussed at a Refs Association meeting I attended last year and it was stated that touching any part of the head was an offence, and that this was accepted internationally. Certainly our refs will call it.
dmiddie

Postby dmiddie Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:26 am

Sure that wasn't with reference to once a stick check is called?
Whitey

Postby Whitey Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:11 pm

Mike Powell is touching the head of the stick, at the throat, in this picture. Most players when they cradle one handed will also touch the throat of the head.

This will never be called as a penalty, unless you are restricting the ball coming out of the head itself.

cherrybomb - Is that what you were referring to?
eurogoalie

Postby eurogoalie Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:56 pm

Where's the picture???
cjlax

Postby cjlax Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:07 pm

I'd agree with Whitey,
If ref's were to call every time someone touched the base of the head, then for one thing they'd be making calls all the time and the game play would be rubbish, and secondly if they're watching peoples hands, they can't be watching other things.

If you're having problems with being called for this, my advice is to tape the head onto the shaft, using similar coulour tape to the shaft, if you're in play and moving fast then it would take a sharp eye to pick out the difference between head and shaft.

I 100% agree though that obstructing the ball release from the head is illegal!

(no problems here with seeing the picture!)
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:21 pm

I've only seen one incident of "thumbing" the ball being called in any games I've played this season and that was debatable.

It basically never gets called but I don't think that many people do it. To me, as an attacker, it doesn't offer much of an advantage cos unless you practice it a lot it is quite hard to get your hands back to a decent position for shooting/passing. I'd prefer just to cradle to keep it in. And if this is one-handed my glove/hand usually does touch the plastic throat of the stick as this gives me a natural idea of where my hands are in relation to the rest of the stick. This will NEVER get called (whether a rule or not) and I don't think many defenders would complain if it didn't get called.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
cherrybomb
League Mod
League Mod

Postby cherrybomb Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:59 pm

whiteys got what I'm saying. Just a clarification, and confirmed my thoughts.
Snowy #33 @ UWIC (but really Cardiff!) SLL #30

President & Vice Captain 06/07

UWICLACROSSE.CO.UK
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:51 pm

Nope it wasn't just when a stick check was called. That was a whole different debate that only started this season with the adoption of the new rules.

I think it is probably correct that most refs would not call for grasping the neck, but then again some refs do not call players for belting sh*te out of a players free hand. The question was is it legal?

Oh and Dave it can get called, I have seen it, only once, this season, and by an international qualified ref.
Whitey

Postby Whitey Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:39 am

Moaning Git wrote:Oh and Dave it can get called, I have seen it, only once, this season, and by an international qualified ref.

'Pedantic' international ref?
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:09 am

Oh yes ....... very!

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”