ProLaxShop

Expulsion Fouls

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
UKLaxfan

Expulsion Fouls

Postby UKLaxfan Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:48 pm

Are there any guidelines for what exactly is an expulsion foul?

Stamping on an opponent?
Spitting in an opponents face? (twice)
Kicking a player in the mouth while they are on the ground?
Raking your studs down the calf of a player leaving a 10 inch scar?
Swearing at a referee and CBO?
Threatening to beat up the girlfriend of an opponent and their dog?
Threatening to come round to a players house to Kill them & their family?

I'm only asking as I'm curious what an expulsion foul is as NONE of the above resulted in Expulsion from the game.

Also:
What powers does a CBO have?
I've seen them throw a Flag for Unsportsmanlike Behaviour previously.
If they witness a player stamping on another and kicking them in the head while they are on the ground, shouldn't they bring that to the attention of the referees?
young_trig

Re: Expulsion Fouls

Postby young_trig Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:53 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:Are there any guidelines for what exactly is an expulsion foul?

Stamping on an opponent?
Spitting in an opponents face? (twice)
Kicking a player in the mouth while they are on the ground?
Raking your studs down the calf of a player leaving a 10 inch scar?
Swearing at a referee and CBO?
Threatening to beat up the girlfriend of an opponent and their dog?
Threatening to come round to a players house to Kill them & their family?

I'm only asking as I'm curious what an expulsion foul is as NONE of the above resulted in Expulsion from the game.

Also:
What powers does a CBO have?
I've seen them throw a Flag for Unsportsmanlike Behaviour previously.
If they witness a player stamping on another and kicking them in the head while they are on the ground, shouldn't they bring that to the attention of the referees?

Was all this in one game?
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Looking back at last weekend's fixtures...I think it might be!
kayftara

EXPULSION FOULS

Postby kayftara Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:16 pm

Rule 78 covers all this. Section 11 in the rulebook.

I think you have listed enough fouls to get the offender expelled as well as criminal behaviour that would interest the police.
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:23 pm

As has already been pointed out the expulsion rule is covered under rule 78. Rule 78.1 covers the intent to injure fouls that you have described above. Rule 78.4 covers the unsportsmanlike conduct type of fouls.

The duties of the CBO are covered under rule 24.2. The CBO's jurisdiction is limited to the benches and substituton area. There are a few areas that he can make on-field calls. These are fouls that occur in the act of entering or leaving the field, offside, too many long sticks (not mentioned in the rule book, but since approved by the ILF), and fouls that contributed to an offside situation. As an example (extreme, but yet could occur) Red slashes blue causing him to fall offside. The CBO sees blue offside so should stop the play (or slow whistle depending on the status of the ball), correct the offside (no, blue is not charged with an offside) and penalize red for the slash. This again is not in the rule book, but has been approved as an official interpretation by the ILF Officiating Committee, who is charged with developing interpretations to the rules.

Currently the rule book does not provide for the ability to call any other type of on-field calls, even the ones that you have described. If they had occured in the bench area then he could have called them.

Just out of curiousity, was this game refereed by one or two referees?
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:43 pm

Presumably from what you've said concerning the CBO's specific responsibilities, the onfield referees have no recourse or discretion to seek guidance from the CBO if they believe something may have occurred, but are not certain themselves?

That would be understandable, but also interesting, as NEMLA's disciplinary procedures do allow for witnesses (both players and others?) to provide evidence/ statements where foul play leads to expulsion penalties.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:40 am

What I am more interested in in is whether the club that suffered the alleged incidents will be writing formally to the other club setting out their complaints. It may well be that that club has a disciplinary process that could be used to address some of these issues, but that would only be started if a formal complaint is made. That is of course unless said club has already initiated its own process.

Equally, there are two sides to any story, and it may that some of what has been reported was not what was seen by witnesses to the events.

As for the role of the CBO, personally, no matter what the rules might say, I think the CBO has a moral and legal obligation to bring to the attention of the referee any infrigement of the rules that endangers the health and safety of players and spectators. If the referee chooses to ignore this information that is their responsibility.
Northern Scum

Postby Northern Scum Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:07 pm

is it true that 'MTV' (the High Quality Northern one not the crap southern music one) were there? could make for some good TV!!
You're all southern shandy drinkers
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:12 pm

I think it's called Channel M.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Northern Scum

Postby Northern Scum Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:18 pm

davidmcculloch81 wrote:I think it's called Channel M.

is it true that Channel M were there? could make for some good TV!!
You're all southern shandy drinkers
the pom

Postby the pom Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:43 pm

yes they were and they have said they will send all film to one of the team that asked
also smithy was allowed to interveiw Andy(mersey capt) and the stockport coach after the game is supposed to be quite funny probably wont get aired.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”