ProLaxShop

Overtime and Sudden death and Penalties...

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here

Should lacrosse introduce a penalty shootout or similar in tied cup matches?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 28
Mitchlax

Overtime and Sudden death and Penalties...

Postby Mitchlax Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:17 pm

So last sunday 2 U19's games go the whole way, one match played straight sudden death the other went to overtime then sudden death. Clearly unfair on the straight SD guys as over time could have swung it their way. Isn't it too much though, going playing OT and SD, shouldn't we adopt penalties or something similar? thoughts?

Plus can anyone clarify the OT and SD rules, there was some confusion to the length of the periods, apparently it is different for juniors and seniors.
Timperley LC
SUMLC
Samba Lax
Fallowfield Falcons
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:22 pm

they should certainly be consistent anyway....

i would think that many suggesttions for braveheart will follow...so will comment no more.
Two Up!
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:38 pm

Nah, 2x 4minute normal OT followed by as many 4 minute SD OTs as is needed is fine - has all the drama of penalties/braveheart but the onus remains with the TEAM to win or lose the game, not on an individual. Whilst it would be great to win the game for your team, the reality is braveheart (like penalties in footy) would rarely produce a winner, but more isolate the person who loses it for their team.

play as a team, win as a team, lose as a team.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
Mitchlax

Postby Mitchlax Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:43 pm

still it is quite bad losing after a long period of OT and SD with dramatic comebacks maybe a quicker emotional rollercoaster would suit? having said that we are english and so we would definatly go out in the world cup on penalties!
Timperley LC
SUMLC
Samba Lax
Fallowfield Falcons
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:50 pm

laxwill11 wrote:... 2x 4minute normal OT followed by as many 4 minute SD OTs as is needed is fine - has all the drama of penalties/braveheart but the onus remains with the TEAM to win or lose the game......play as a team, win as a team, lose as a team.

I must admit, I'm with you on that Will definitely the best way to go about it
Two Up!
Steely Dan

Postby Steely Dan Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:02 pm

laxwill11 wrote:Nah, 2x 4minute normal OT followed by as many 4 minute SD OTs as is needed

Agreed, while it has the potential to be a hell of a lot of lacrosse in a day come summer time people will still be moaning about the lax drought. Get it while you can! :lol:

Besides, the whole play as a team thing certainly comes into it as well
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
Ockles

Postby Ockles Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:10 pm

From being on 1 of them teams on sunday i would stick with the OT, SD alot easier and also we benefitied from it yay.
big daddy

Postby big daddy Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:50 pm

U19 rules apply!!

See this thread under Norman Barber Cup in Junior Lacrosse section - all will be revealed!
Le grand papa

Luddites of the world unite
cjlax

Postby cjlax Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:26 pm

We should count down players, removing one from each team every minute until it's goalie on goalie - that should spice things up, then when there are no players left everyone can just give up and head for the bar! (if you're over 18 that is!!)
ibop
League Mod
League Mod

Postby ibop Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:16 pm

My ELA rulebook gives 4 mins each way OT, followed by 4 min SD periods. I think thats best because it does keep it as team play, and also benefits the team who have btter fitness and keep their stick skills better (how many teams drop off horribly when they get tired?) Something that goes like penalties do in football makes it such a lottery and can be very harsh and often gives the "wrong" result
The only time he takes his foot out of his mouth, is to put the other one in!

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne #4 08-
Durham #4 05-09
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:12 pm

CJLAX wrote:We should count down players, removing one from each team every minute until it's goalie on goalie - that should spice things up, then when there are no players left everyone can just give up and head for the bar! (if you're over 18 that is!!)

thats what sweet chariot do in the knockouts at dublinfest....not that i've ever seen it
Two Up!
FarmerDan

Postby FarmerDan Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:35 pm

I think penalties would be an awful way to sort a match. Have always hated it in football.
Braveheart, whilst good fun relies on your keeper and one other player.
I think that the best way to sort it is to do Overtime and then sudden death. that way it finds the team that has the best stamina/ability to keep playing well when tired and exhausted.
The other alternative is that if the scores are tied after 2xOT periods play 4 minutes of "extra time multi ball", Team that scores the most during that time wins!
Rian

Postby Rian Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:48 pm

I'm all for Braveheart :lol:

But I like the 2x4min OT followed by as many 4min SDs as required
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:11 pm

Has any thought about Braveheart, but with 5 different players each taking each other on separately - like a football penalty shootout, but you each pick 5 players - in whatever order you wish, who then contest Braveheart against the man picked in the same slot as the oppo. Then if level after 5, go to sudden death Braveheart, with the 6th player doing it.
FarmerDan

Postby FarmerDan Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:16 pm

DommoBath wrote:Has any thought about Braveheart, but with 5 different players each taking each other on separately - like a football penalty shootout, but you each pick 5 players - in whatever order you wish, who then contest Braveheart against the man picked in the same slot as the oppo. Then if level after 5, go to sudden death Braveheart, with the 6th player doing it.

That actually sounds better than just one braveheart, but think i still prefer OT and SD
Anthony Parker

OT and SD (that T was a bit too close to the D then!)

Postby Anthony Parker Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:48 pm

Same here.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”