ProLaxShop

Men's Rules - Rule Changes for 2013 Season

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
P Davidson

Men's Rules - Rule Changes for 2013 Season

Postby P Davidson Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:42 pm

At the FIL General Assembly Meeting in Amsterdam, June 2012 a number of changes to the Rules of Men's Lacrosse were agreed.

These changes were reviewed by ELA Referees & Rules Committee and were recommended to Men's Playing Committee for adoption into the English Rules.

MPC consulted with all English Clubs and Universities between 28th February 2013 and 15th April 2013, and after considering all feedback received, formally adopted the rule changes at its meeting on 21st May 2013.

These changes will come into effect from 1st September 2013, with the exception of Rule 17.1 . "All players, including the designated goalkeeper, must properly wear an intra-oral tooth and mouth protector (mouth guard)". Will not be implemented in the English Rules until 1st September 2015.

The only other change that we have made to the English Rules, that is not included in the FIL changes is:
Rule 22.1 Which has been changed from "The In-home must be a starting attacker" to "The In-home may be any member of the squad".
This brings the English Rules back in line with the FIL rules.

I have attached to this post (with the help of Admin) the full English 2013 Rule Book. The changes can be easily identified as they are underlined. Areas where the English Rules differ from the FIL rules are in italics.

http://www.laxforums.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/NEW-ENG-RULES-2013.pdf

NB: BUCS play to the FIL Rules with one or two minor exceptions (See BUCS Website).

If anyone has any questions or requires any clarification / interpretation of these new rules, please post your questions here, and members of Referees & Rules Committee will monitor and provide responses.

Finally, Spread the word!
- I am working on a “communication Plan” to ensure that these changes are distributed as widely as possible throughout the game.

This will include the Club Referees Pre-Season Seminar, which will be incorporated into the ELA Volunteers Conference at the ELA Head Office (National Cycling Centre) on Sunday 22nd September 2013. There will also be a shorter one hour briefing on the new rules at this event. http://www.englishlacrosse.co.uk/events ... onference/ .

Regards
Peter Davidson
Chair & Secretary
ELA Referees & Rules Committee.
When you play a perfect game I'll call one!
Mr.Stanford

Re: Men's Rules - Rule Changes for 2013 Season

Postby Mr.Stanford Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Is there a summary of the rule changes? It will be easier to communicate than asking people to skim the rule book.

From what I can see the main points are:

- On face off the heads of the stick must be either side of the white line but not touching the white line. However the gloves can touch the white line

- If a stick is dropped and the ball remains in the stick or the head of the stick covers the ball on the floor then possession is awarded to the other team.

- goalies can't wear clothing that may assist them in saving the ball i.e. baggy sweat pants. It also describes that the team shirt and shorts shouldn't provide an advantage. Guessing it's reffering to the goalie thats 5 foot 8" with a 32" waist wearing XXXL shorts?
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
P Davidson

Postby P Davidson Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Mr Stanford
There is a document that summarises the changes. Although the document is only 16 pages long, the file size is too large for uploading.

I will once again impose on Admin and see if he can oblige and upload it. Failing that, if you PM me with your email address I will send you a copy.

Regards

Peter Davidson
P Davidson

Postby P Davidson Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:13 pm

I have just realised, that the summary document is available on the ELA Website http://englacrosse.s3.amazonaws.com/med ... v1.1-1.pdf

Hope this helps.
Any problems, please come back to me.

Regards

Peter Davidson
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:45 am

Only 16 pages!? :shock:

When it comes out in picturebook format give me a shout.
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:47 am

cheers, that version will be a little more digestible
Hitchin

davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Rule 82.2
I'd personally like to see this mirror the College game in that the scoring play is considered complete when the other team gains possession.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
P Davidson

Postby P Davidson Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Dave,

Referees & Rules are always interested in views from players, coaches and the wider game about changes that they would like to see to the rules.
It's not our game its yours!

If anyone wants to feed ideas in, I will save them up ready for the next round of FIL changes.
Your comments about Rule 82.2 is noted.

PD
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:35 pm

davidmcculloch81 wrote:Rule 82.2
I'd personally like to see this mirror the College game in that the scoring play is considered complete when the other team gains possession.

Seconded

I also really like the time limit on clearing the ball in the American game. Is this an unrealistic expectation for international/english rules?
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:41 am

Any reason why the mouthguard thing has been delayed? Seems a common sense addition to me
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:28 am

Rotisserie wrote:
davidmcculloch81 wrote:Rule 82.2

Seconded

I also really like the time limit on clearing the ball in the American game. Is this an unrealistic expectation for international/english rules?

Probably need it's own thread... but how would you implement this in the British game? a lot of games struggle to muster a ref and CBO. My opinion is that it would be a struggle for a solo reff to run a clearing clock while keeping up with play.
Hitchin

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”