ProLaxShop

Growling/Barking/Talking about dogs ?

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
JustaLAXbrah

Growling/Barking/Talking about dogs ?

Postby JustaLAXbrah Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:28 pm

Ok, so up here in minnesota, STMA our team has a plan we use for distracting and sometimes even pulling pentalys on the opposing team. So what we do is when you play attack or defense, you growl and talk about dogs NONSTOP when the ball is on the other side. You also bark at the other team when they are trying scoop and pass. As D we put our heads on their chest. They get SO mad ! One kid started crying ! XD is that illegal ? Ive heard it's not. As long as your not pushing them.
Moaning Git

Re: Growling/Barking/Talking about dogs ?

Postby Moaning Git Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:43 am

Well under international rules I reckon you can be called for unsportsmanlike behaviou and for holding
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:21 pm

Putting your head on someones chest coul be spearing - personal foul - under NCAA or NFHS, - non releaseable personal foul
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.
dom#10

Postby dom#10 Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:50 pm

by head i got the impression he meant head of the stick. in which case this would be legal as long as you're allowing them to play wouldnt it?
Bristol Bombers #10
Bristol Uni #10
ex-Reading Wildcats #10
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:24 am

You are not allowed to contact a player more then 9 feet away from a loose ball. So in theory by placing your stick on opponent you are interferring. I see this tactic used a lot by defenders who place their stick on the player they are marking so that that they can feel if the player is still there whilst they look around. i warn quite a bit on this, but if it becomes a problem I will throw a flag.
Don Blacklock

DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:42 am

The dogs bit I suspect you may get an unsportsmanlike call, especially if you're trying to put them off by barking as they pass. Also, you will seem like bunch of &@£*s...
SprungMonkey

Postby SprungMonkey Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:13 pm

What about cats...?

300.png
300.png (171.9 KiB) Viewed 6694 times
Someone once asked the Dalai Lama what surprises him most. This was his response:

"Man; because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived."
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:40 pm

it doesn't sound distracting - just odd!
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
snooplax

Postby snooplax Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:01 am

dblacklock wrote:You are not allowed to contact a player more then 9 feet away from a loose ball. So in theory by placing your stick on opponent you are interferring. I see this tactic used a lot by defenders who place their stick on the player they are marking so that that they can feel if the player is still there whilst they look around. i warn quite a bit on this, but if it becomes a problem I will throw a flag.

"Resting" a stick on a attack guy is something I have coached for near 20 years and will continue to do so. To call that a foul is harsh to say the very least.
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:55 pm

As an attacker, is grabbing the offending longstick and throwing it into the other half of the pitch allowed?
:)
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:38 pm

[quote="Resting" a stick on a attack guy is something I have coached for near 20 years and will continue to do so. To call that a foul is harsh to say the very least.[/quote]

There are many things that coaches teach that are perhaps illegal. But as the old adage goes , nothing is illegal until you are caught. But don't complain when your player is called, as you now know that it is illegal.

I don't necessarily agree with all the rules, but yet still have to call them.
Don Blacklock

davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:41 pm

DanSawyer wrote:As an attacker, is grabbing the offending longstick and throwing it into the other half of the pitch allowed?

I wouldn't advocate your idea, but no player has to tolerate being impeded illegally. Some defenders may not comprehend though so expect some D-moaning.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:50 am

davewilliams wrote:
DanSawyer wrote:As an attacker, is grabbing the offending longstick and throwing it into the other half of the pitch allowed?

I wouldn't advocate your idea, but no player has to tolerate being impeded illegally. Some defenders may not comprehend though so expect some D-moaning.

Grabbing and throwing the opposition's stick is not only interference, but Unsportsmanlike conduct.

Here is an interesting situation though.

Red in possession in the attack half Blue 17 grabs red 10 stick and throws across the centre line.
Refeee throws a flag.
Red 10 goes across half to get his stick causing an off side situation.
Referee blows downn play.
Red 10 then slashes Blue 17.

The call could go like this:

Simultaneous Fouls
Blue 17 - 1 min UC
Red 10 - 30 Sec Off Side (perhaps viewed as harsh but the correct call)
Red 10- 1 min slash

Blue get the ball where it was when the first foul was committed.

I can just imagine the reaction from red when he finds he has to serve the off side as well and blue getting the ball.

Now, a seasoned referee might look at it and give Blue 17 a 2 min UC, which would then give red the ball where the ball was at the time of the first foul. No free clears on simulteneous fouls
Don Blacklock

DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:57 am

I should like to make it clear that I was joking!

In your scenario, though, could you not also justify more than 1minute for the red player? Slashing a player after the whistle has gone, in deliberate revenge for what he did to you? Sounds like USC or unnecessary roughness to me, and worth more than a 1min slash call, shurely?

It would also constitute an assault...
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:19 pm

further to that, what if the D pole picked up the attacker and carried him with him to retrieve his stick, causing both teams to go offside?
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Easy - Holding and offside - 2 technical fouls. Whistle as the player is off side, because he was caried off side so therefore he would not be deemed off side.
Don Blacklock

LPierce

Postby LPierce Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Having read this about the head being in contact and it being deemed unsportsmanlike what's the call on someone standing in your head?
I'm a keeper and often when I clamp the ball outside the crease and there's a bit of a tussle someone on the other team will put their foot in my head stopping me being able to rake the ball or do much else... And I have been called for withholding the ball?!
AUMLC #5 2008-2013
AUMLC Secretary 2011/12
AUMLC Captain 2012/13
Granite City Gladiators #5 2008-2013
Scotland U21 #5 BNCs 2011
Lax Bandicoot #5
Yorkshire #5 BNCs 2012
Wilmslow #55 2013-

All posts by this user are personal opinions and do not speak for any team or organisation as a whole.
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Postby rpowell Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:13 pm

LPierce wrote:Having read this about the head being in contact and it being deemed unsportsmanlike what's the call on someone standing in your head?
I'm a keeper and often when I clamp the ball outside the crease and there's a bit of a tussle someone on the other team will put their foot in my head stopping me being able to rake the ball or do much else... And I have been called for withholding the ball?!

Technical foul by person with his foot on your stick.
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:35 pm

rpowell wrote:
LPierce wrote:Having read this about the head being in contact and it being deemed unsportsmanlike what's the call on someone standing in your head?

Technical foul by person with his foot on your stick.

Agreed, Techncial foul for Illegal Procedure or a hold - take your pick. If the player were to do this when teh ball is trapped under the stick and the ball is ouchng the crease, then you now have a flag and the foul becomes time serve as the goalie is deemed to be possession inside the crease
Don Blacklock

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”