ProLaxShop

ELA registration ?!?

Place for general chat, saying hello to the forums, and posting bugs and feature requests for us to take a look at

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:41 am

we had to fill out a sheet from the ELA today that basically asks our demogrphics info and then our post code. name and club were not on it at all.
Ian#4
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Ian#4 Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:08 am

Arse, think I may have thrown that sheet away, or lost it.
Leeds :: SLL :: South :: Cardiff Harlequins :: Cardiff Uni :: Penarth
ArmourAsh

ELA Registration

Postby ArmourAsh Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:59 pm

Ok, this is how it is...

The ELA is completely replacing its player/volunteer database. This is due to the current database being old, inaccurate, poorly maintained and basically beyond salvage.

The club secretaries or uni captains have been informed via post of the database update - as much as is possible with the ELA's current contact details.

The new database will be web-based and professionally managed and will allow the ELA to fulfill its obligations to Sport England - as mentioned by Whitey - and to produce a new online facility to replace the now defunct handbook, as well as club searching and other website functions.

Mandy's interpretation of the deadline is correct - the ELA is stipulating that all members register by the end of this month, to maintain eligibility to play/ref/coach in ELA competitions. Obviously, not everybody will have the ability to comply with this deadline and the ELA will extend a grace period to those members with legitimate problems registering online or by the paper hardcopy registrations provided.

The deadline can only apply to existing members, new members joining the ELA mid-season will be required to register before they play or practice with their new club.

In summary, Lacrosse has to move in-line with Rugby, Hockey and the other bigger goverment funded sports. The ELA has to know who its clubs and members are and where they are within reason, and this has simply not happened with the old form-fill method.

So get registering, and make sure your own club secretaries are up to speed, if they are not they need to call head office sharpish.

If you try to register and do not get a confirmation e-mail, check your junk folders, thats where mine ended up...

AA

PS J-Lo - the sheet you are refering to was probably the equity info sheet from Mark Coups - it is not related to registration and should have its own instructions (although I haven't seen it). Call Liz Martin at Head Office if you need help...
kayftara

ELA dictat

Postby kayftara Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:09 pm

What happened to democracy?

The ELA does not run my club and nor does Sport England or the Government.
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:58 pm

Whats that got to do with it?
Two Up!
Whitey

Re: ELA dictat

Postby Whitey Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:03 am

kayftara wrote:What happened to democracy?

The ELA does not run my club and nor does Sport England or the Government.

You can always elect not to be affiliated to the ELA, and start your own rebel governing body...
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:09 am

Seriously, how on earth did they expect EVERYONE to register by the end of this month???
Imagine if laxforums didn't exist.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Whitey

Postby Whitey Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:24 am

It simply won’t happen, not every club will have every player registered. However, it’s going to be a better way of keeper player details than they had previously. It will mean the South will not be able to moan on about not receiving LacrosseTalk etc etc, because it’s now everyone’s own responsibility.

I do suspect that the Insurance issue is being used as a way of forcing clubs to register by frightening them into action - I’m 99% certain the ELA Public Liability Insurance policy will not require all individuals to be named, it never has previously, so why now?

It’s all about getting the information to satisfy Sport England’s needs, to ensure future funding… for that reason alone it is worth us all endeavouring to get all our club members registered.
ArmourAsh

Deadline

Postby ArmourAsh Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:51 am

Guys,

Don't get too caught up with the deadline... no-one is going to be punished halfway through the season if they don't get their entire clubs registered - an aggressive deadline was chosen to get as many members registered as soon as possible... so then the ELA could start offering more services to those members. Look at it from the other perspective: what good does it do to give everyone six months to complete a five minute online registration? There is no expectation that everyone will be registered on time, amateur sport doesn't work that way, but at least this way some urgency is created.

Kayftara - No, this is not a democracy, unless as Whitey says you persuade the majority of your own club to rewrite their own constitution and withdraw from the league. However, I think I see the root of your objection - how can the ELA mandate when and how your club's own players can practice or represent your club's teams? The answer is the ELA can withdraw your public liability insurance - which leaves you wide open to civil suits for personal injury. This is the same stick that all governing bodies use to beat their memberships with, over here and in the States, it just so happens that the ELA has never actually threatened to do it before.

Now, you could get your own insurance, but those members of your club who you persuaded to join the revolution might get a tad upset when you handed them the bill, the governing body has the leverage of economies of scale with the insurers, while the clubs do not - but then again you wouldn't need insurance to sit around on a staurday afternoon and watch crown green bowling.

Ultimately, it comes down to whether you think its unreasonable to expect your governing body to know who you are expecting it to cover for insurance purposes, and who is playing/reffing/coaching within its leagues on any given Saturday. In return for your cooperation with registration, the governing body is expected to supply the membership with a range of services beyond insurance - leagues, tournaments, magazines, the website etc etc.

This model seems to work for all the other non-professional sports in the country, but the ELA has to convince lacrosse players that they are trying to provide those serivces to them, regardless of perceived past problems. Hopefully, the new staff, new website, and the new magazine, will persuade everyone to exercise some faith...
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:54 am

So there!
Two Up!
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:55 am

why whould the welsh clubs bother? i cant see them having mutch of sport englands money.

And dosen't most of the sport england money get spent on 'Admin' the ENGLISH team and northern clubs?
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Whitey

Postby Whitey Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:59 am

There has been thousands of pounds granted to Southern LDO projects... Reading, Blues, Hitchin, Welwyn all received funding to assist with building junior lacrosse.
lead_head11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby lead_head11 Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:01 am

UWIC hav informed the ELA of our team and but i agree with Mr Stanford, our affiliation is to the Welsh Lacrosse Association.......
chippie

Postby chippie Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:11 pm

lead_head11 wrote:UWIC hav informed the ELA of our team and but i agree with Mr Stanford, our affiliation is to the Welsh Lacrosse Association.......

but you play in an english league......

getting a bit technical!!
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
Stuffed Trout

Re: Deadline

Postby Stuffed Trout Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:56 pm

ArmourAsh wrote:

This model seems to work for all the other non-professional sports in the country, but the ELA has to convince lacrosse players that they are trying to provide those serivces to them, regardless of perceived past problems. Hopefully, the new staff, new website, and the new magazine, will persuade everyone to exercise some faith...

Don't forget the new logo.....

Return to “General Chat”