ProLaxShop

Lewis Ratcliff receives two year ban

Place for general chat, saying hello to the forums, and posting bugs and feature requests for us to take a look at

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
kael101

Lewis Ratcliff receives two year ban

Postby kael101 Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:33 am

Christian Baker
NTU- 13 09-12
Nottingham Any number I could get 2010-12
Welwyn 93 2012-
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Re: Lewis Ratcliff receives two year ban

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:45 am

He's released a statement about this:

http://www.ilindoor.com/2013/03/13/lewi ... more-89028

Obviously hard not to be skeptical following the whole Lance Armstrong debacle but I do sympathise with him a little as it's true that lacrosse isn't a major sport, he doesn't have any internal support regarding medical matters and he took it on advice from his doctor. However he must have been aware that he was due to take a drugs test and I think in that case if I knew I was on any kind of medication I would make sure that it was ok.
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:25 am

2 different type's of steroids? are we really to believe these just happened to get into his protein shakes from his neighborhood store?

If he really wasn't taking steroids he was probably taking testosterone boosters, some types of which will return a positive result on a steroid test.

It's the athletes responsibility to research these things.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
wildcat

Postby wildcat Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Paul_lboro/wildcats wrote:He's released a statement about this:

http://www.ilindoor.com/2013/03/13/lewi ... more-89028

Obviously hard not to be skeptical following the whole Lance Armstrong debacle but I do sympathise with him a little as it's true that lacrosse isn't a major sport, he doesn't have any internal support regarding medical matters and he took it on advice from his doctor. However he must have been aware that he was due to take a drugs test and I think in that case if I knew I was on any kind of medication I would make sure that it was ok.

Dont sympathise, not even a little, on the basis of not realising. It's like saying you don't understand any aspect of law when stood up in court.
He could have lodged the oxycodone as a required pain medication before getting caught taking it. And this isn't sunday league. He gets paid to pay, and whilst he wont end up on Oprah because lacrosse isn't as high profile as cycling, he probably has an agent, a fitness coach and should know the rules.
wildcat

Postby wildcat Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:37 pm

http://www.stealthlax.com/Coaches-Staff

9 people listed as medical staff!
Whitey

Postby Whitey Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Not a surprise, I think steroids and performance enhancing drugs are all over the place in pro lacrosse. It's normal in North America... Arnie, Stallone, Hulk Hogan, Carl Lewis... The 80s and 90s children of America have steroid-taking role models.

He should receive a life-time ban, playing sport is a privilege not a right.
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:49 am

I would think that the NLL's stance on this is exactly what the FIL wanted as they tread the path of credibility with the IOC.
Has everyone disowned Lewis Ratcliff, or is this someone different from the player who represented England at the World Indoor Championships in 2007,
and again outdoors in the World 2010, in Manchester?
Whitey

Postby Whitey Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:01 am

Do you mean we should feel some loyalty to him?

If so, what has he given to English lacrosse? Because as far as I see just coming over (or even just joining up with the team for the tournaments) and playing for the national team is about taking from English Lacrosse. I would have preferred to see an English player, or a passport holder who commits to doing something above just playing, be selected. Worse still, somehow his brother played as well and he wouldn't have made it into the Stockport 1st team.

If he has given anything worthy of loyalty please say. However, he's a cheat with an American accent so you are unlikely to persuade me to be more generous in my opinion.
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Postby rpowell Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:01 am

Whitey wrote:However, he's a cheat with an American accent

That's an outrageous statement - how can you possibly say this, Whitey?

He has a _Canadian_ accent...
:D
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:53 am

Whitey wrote:<null>

Whitey, it just surprised me that no one had even mentioned that Ratcliff was an England International. I have a pic of the England squad from the Worlds 2010, immediately after their last game, where they came over to acknowledge their supporters. All except 2 players, who stayed over at the bench .... have a pic of that to prove it. It surprised me that he was selected again for the 2011 World Indoors, though he pulled out due to NLL commitments.

Does anyone know if a lacrosse player has failed a doping test before? I have heard of positive tests at U19's Worlds, but maybe they were 'recreational' drugs.
laxguy14

Postby laxguy14 Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:20 am

Not suprised at all about his ban. There's been rumours going on for a while about him juicing. What stuck out to me was the ban. The players only knew a week before there'd be drug testing at the Mann Cup. To be the first caught and receive a 2 year ban is a stiff penalty, the league defanitely wants to send a message.

Also the Peterborough coachs got fined and suspended as well.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ ... ded-by-cla

Return to “General Chat”