ProLaxShop

Lacrosse in Europe

Place for general chat, saying hello to the forums, and posting bugs and feature requests for us to take a look at

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
cavebehr

Lacrosse in Europe

Postby cavebehr Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:05 am

So I'm from the States and would really appreciate a large change of scenery and better edjabication, than what i have or would have in the US. So i was wondering if there is any lacrosse clubs, or colleges with lacrosse, in Europe.
Thanks

Also, what are some good universities in Europe?
"The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity."- Seneca
Bay Area Sandsharks U-17
Springstead High School Boys Varsity
webby

Postby webby Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Are we talking about men's or women's lacrosse?

For men's, I'm not personally aware of any universities outside the UK with their own lacrosse teams, but a vast number of universities in the UK have lacrosse teams.

It's not really like the US though. In the US players tend to go through school teams, to college to pro, while in the UK and Europe, it's much more club-focused, where players make their way up through the different divisions playing club lacrosse. The level of university lacrosse has increased ten fold in recent years, but the best lacrosse is still found in the club leagues (e.g. NEMLA and SEMLA). It is also different from the states where there are some established powerhouses in university/college lacrosse (e.g. Syracuse, Hopkins, etc). As university lacrosse is still relatively new on the scene, the quality of the teams tend to change every year depending on what players are coming and going. That being said, the likes of Sheffield, Nottingham, Loughborough and St Andrews have always seemed to consistently field strong sides.

Last year's university rankings by BUCS (British Universities and College Sports) for men's lacrosse are as follows:
Sheffield 50
Nottingham 35
Loughborough 30
St Andrews 24
Oxford 24
Northumbria 21
Leeds Met Carnegie 16
Warwick 16
Bristol 16
Gloucesershire 16
Durham 14
Cardiff 14
Keele 10
Newcastle 10
Exeter 10
Birmingham 10

There are more teams but I couldn't find rankings for the others.

But I would look into a university that does the degree you are interested in and has a good reputation, and then look at whether or not they have a team, not the other way round.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com

Return to “General Chat”