ProLaxShop

Attack Plays

Advice for all the Attackers? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:35 pm

This should probably go in the rules forum, but since we're discussing picks:

If I'm in D and some sneaky swine (A) runs close past his mate (B) in an attempt to get me to run around B, am I allowed to treat B with the respect his dirty trick deserves and run straight through him, sending him flying if necessary? Or do I have to go around?
cjlax

Postby cjlax Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:57 pm

playing div 1 or 2 north, you can take out the pick if the ball carrier runs past him!
well that always seems to happen to me anyway!

lower divs though??
Wezalmighty

Postby Wezalmighty Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:10 pm

DanSawyer wrote:This should probably go in the rules forum, but since we're discussing picks:

If I'm in D and some sneaky swine (A) runs close past his mate (B) in an attempt to get me to run around B, am I allowed to treat B with the respect his dirty trick deserves and run straight through him, sending him flying if necessary? Or do I have to go around?

Nah, you can slam him. But if you're playing D, you don't really want to lose ground on the ball carrier. So I'd say that trying to run your pick down instead of chasing the ball wouldn't be the smartest course of action.
Wez Morris
#40 Portsmouth Uni
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:33 pm

Wezalmighty wrote:
DanSawyer wrote:This should probably go in the rules forum, but since we're discussing picks:

trying to run your pick down instead of chasing the ball wouldn't be the smartest course of action.

Much more fun though.

[Edit] I've just noticed that my avatar is getting a bit similar to Wez's. Knew I should have bought a different colour helmet... Maybe I'll take off the Pompey shirt until I start playing.
Dave254023

Postby Dave254023 Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:01 am

In fac tyou can't run through a pick if you have knowledge of it. If a pick is placed, running through him with intent to knock him over is no different than hitting a guy off the ball while in possession. Could be called as unnesescery roughness

On the otherhand if the pick is placed properly (not to the knowledge of the D-man) and the defender is carrying enough momentum to knock the pick over then no foul.

From personal experience the best picks played against myself were last season versus Oxford Uni, i was taken out of the game by well timed j cuts and picks.

By the way, although all the talk is about on the ball picks but they are no where near as effective as off the ball picks.
Hillcroft D-Man #3
Swansea D-man #3 05/06 & 06/07
Let your game do the talking!

Return to “Attack Tips”