ProLaxShop

Cradleing

Advice for all the Attackers? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
unicycleboy

Cradleing

Postby unicycleboy Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:58 am

Just a quick question to do with cradleing, should I be doing most of the movement with my wrist, keeping my elbow in? or how should I? Also are there any videos of how to do it? (I tried the warrior training videos but they went by very quickly)
Thanks
Whitey

Postby Whitey Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:57 pm

The best thing you could do at this point is buy yourself a dvd called Mark Millons Offensive Wizardry.

However, cradling... the top had does all the work, the botton hand is just a guide which the stick passes through. The cradle movement is created with a bend of the fingers, wrist and elbow. Try this both left and right-handed.

Once you have a basic idea of how to cradle - and this sounds stupid - try hopping whilst carrying a ball, you'll only be able to retain the ball if you have some element of stick-control.

There are some clips of the Mark Millon DVD at :-
http://www.insidelacrosse.com/page2.cfm ... ontent=yes
But not the bit about cradling
Jetpac

Postby Jetpac Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:13 pm

Whitey wrote:The best thing you could do at this point is buy yourself a dvd called Mark Millons Offensive Wizardry.

However, cradling... the top had does all the work, the botton hand is just a guide which the stick passes through. The cradle movement is created with a bend of the fingers, wrist and elbow. Try this both left and right-handed.

Once you have a basic idea of how to cradle - and this sounds stupid - try hopping whilst carrying a ball, you'll only be able to retain the ball if you have some element of stick-control.

dont suppose anyone has this that they could take a dvd rip of and *ahem* put it up as a torrent or something, i would really like to have it!
Bristol Bombers #4
Ex-Pompey Uni #4
Wezalmighty

Postby Wezalmighty Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:45 pm

Jetpac wrote:
Whitey wrote:The best thing you could do at this point is buy yourself a dvd called Mark Millons Offensive Wizardry.

dont suppose anyone has this that they could take a dvd rip of and *ahem* put it up as a torrent or something, i would really like to have it!

I put down my backup copy at training and look the other way for a few seconds...
Wez Morris
#40 Portsmouth Uni
UKLaxfan

Cradling

Postby UKLaxfan Thu May 03, 2007 11:41 pm

There are lots of different types and styles of cradling, most though are based upon using your fingers and wrists rather than elbow & shoulders.

The grip of the stick is important, at the top level NCAA/MLL etc you will often see an attackers stick go flying after being checked, "windmill" or "helicopter". This is not because they are holding the stick incorrectly.

The stick should be held in the fingertips between the 1st & 2nd knuckles and is rocked in conjunction with the wrist rotation to create centripetal force to hold the ball in the stick.

The stick should not be gripped in a fist or like an axe handle as this reduces the amount of flexibility you will have.

The alternative to finger/wrist cradle is the two hand power cradle, where the wrists and elbows create a large exaggerated cradle where the head of the stick & ball moves in a large arc. The stick is usually held horizontally and low to the ground. This two hand power cradle is very common in box lacrosse. The advantage to it is even though you may get hit and body checked you can still control the ball.

The disadvantage is that you are not in a position to pass or shoot for a large proportion of the cradle.

Return to “Attack Tips”