ProLaxShop

Snatch Catching

Advice for all the Midfield? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
xeres

Snatch Catching

Postby xeres Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Ive only been playing lacrosse for a year and have finally realised some of my bad habits which i would really like to change, my worst being Snatch Catching.

Rather than accepting the catch into my stick, i almost pluck it out the air and this makes for some crap pressured catching and hitting the ball with a sidewall as i try and reach an wrap the head around the ball.
Im pretty sure what im doing is incorrect so please, can someone break down how to do a "clean" catch and any drills to soften my wrists for quick sticking (which im sure will help)

Thanks,

X
dang1

Postby dang1 Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:26 pm

wall ball and get your team to throw better passes.
ibop
League Mod
League Mod

Postby ibop Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:44 pm

Try this drill with someone else (or against a wall, but its harder)

Kneel on the ground, but sat up straight (if its sore, use your gloves as knee pads). Hold the stick with one hand only. Practise throwing and catching with another person about 6 feet away. should be able to get up to about 100 without dropping, then do with other hand.

Is very good for technique, makes you cushion the ball properly and watch it right into the stick.
The only time he takes his foot out of his mouth, is to put the other one in!

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne #4 08-
Durham #4 05-09
TrevorKidd

Postby TrevorKidd Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:48 pm

as many other have suggested use awall orsomeone and just throw. Imagine you are cathng an egg or a water balloon.

Water balloons can be used but I dont sugest it as you dont get the right feel for the ball.Or if you have some hockey sticks laying around and a ball pss to a friend using those (mean roll the ball) and when the ball touches the stick just bring it back nice and easy so it doesnt bounce off.

Just cushion it you dont have to bring it back real hard just enough so it doesnt bounce out but also cant be checked away reall easy. once you have cushioned for a split second immediatly start cradling.
petegriffin

Postby petegriffin Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:21 pm

I found that after playing mixed :oops: with a girls stick on tour my catching technique improved a lot, I've fallen back into bad habits but it definitely helps.
Pete

Hillcroft A
DreadLAX
https://www.facebook.com/DreadLAX
ibop
League Mod
League Mod

Postby ibop Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:47 pm

petegriffin wrote:I found that after playing mixed with a girls stick on tour my catching technique improved a lot, I've fallen back into bad habits but it definitely helps.

This tends to happen a lot, because the women's sticks are harder to throw and catch with, it makes you think much more about your technique and doing stuff properly, so when you go back to a mens it transfers over
The only time he takes his foot out of his mouth, is to put the other one in!

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne #4 08-
Durham #4 05-09
cjlax

Postby cjlax Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:01 pm

you just need to find someone to do quick stick passing with, if you're a snatch catcher then you won't be able to do quick sticks, as the snatch means that the flow is interupted. You should end up catching the ball at the same time as pulling the stick back to make the pass.
UKLaxfan

Bad Habits

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:30 pm

This is a very common bad habit, a lot of players have this habit without realising it.

So you are ahead of the game in that respect.

As has already been mentioned imagine catching a water ballon or a fresh egg so that you have to catch it with soft hands.

Another expression which is often used is having a "deep catch", give a target for the passer by holding the head of your stick up in front of you in the ready position.

When you receive the ball in your stick, pull the head of your stick back at the same pace as the pass so that the ball is cushioned into the head and ultimately ends up with the ball in your stick with the head behind you in the "Triple threat" position so you are ready to pass straight away.

The "Triple Threat" position is where you are ready to pass, shoot or dodge.

Another aid to stopping this bad habit is to make sure you are side on when you recive the ball rather than square to the passer. This will allow you to do a "Deep Catch" much easier as you can take the head of the stick back further when side on than if you are square to the passer.
coach jen 2

Snatch Catch!

Postby coach jen 2 Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:14 pm

Can you imagine- even girls try to do this- without a pocket!

I would suggest doing quick stick drills with a girl's stick too. As suggested above, it will force you to move with the tradjectory of the ball as it enters the stick. Due to the lack of the pocket, it will force you... or you will drop the ball. Do 100 quick sticks on the wall right and left every day for 2 weeks. That should work. Then if you get lazy again, go back to basics.
Coach Jen

Your Stickwork Will Save you!
Northern Scum

Postby Northern Scum Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:02 pm

I never find Snatch Catching a problem, have you tried to tell them how nice they look and then buy them a drink?
You're all southern shandy drinkers
DanSawyer

Re: Bad Habits

Postby DanSawyer Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:10 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:The "Triple Threat" position is where you are ready to pass, shoot or dodge.

Apparently it's now called the 'quadruple threat' position, because you can also fake. Doesn't have quite the same ring, somehow...

Return to “Midfield Tips”