ProLaxShop

Slides!!!

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Dining Room

Slides!!!

Postby Dining Room Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:46 pm

Can anyone give me a simple drill to teach juniors, seniors, middies and long sticks the fundamentals behind 1st and 2nd slides!!! When to go, who sends them etc etc. Trying to talk it through at full-speed lax isn't working.

Please help.............
UKLaxfan

Sliding Drills:

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:17 am

Dear Dinning Room

With the power of tinternet it's amazing what you can find

Sliding Drills:
http://www.insidelacrosse.com/page.cfm? ... ryid=72072

Practice Drills (Ryan McClay -Team USA)
I don't think there is any one drill that is going to help a team master sliding other than just repetition in practice. But there are two different ways I have worked on sliding. The first is during 1-on-1 sessions. Rather than just do 1-on-1s, we have a man waiting in front of the goal for the right time to slide. This is beneficial for both practicing the actual slide and for the man covering the ball, because he has to force the ballcarrier to an area of the field that will facilitate a slide. Another drill we did at Cornell involved having a man dodge from different areas of the field holding a blocking bag to work on getting the slides to the man at the right time, while also working on slide technique-head up, lead with the stick and follow with the body.

More Drills:
Some other easy to use drills are creating slides in 6v6 practice. Every time a defender is within 5 yds of the ball they have to double. This creates lots of sliding and players off-ball get used to having to react to the ball.

Communication is key to success, you don't want too many or nobody to slide, the second slide then has to cover the next man until eventually the man furthest from the ball is splitting two men.

When the man gets beat (or man marking ball in drill) he has to recover to crease and "find a man", usually one of the two the furthest man from ball is splitting.

Hope this makes sense.

The Main Principle is Slide - Rotate - Recover

If you just want to work on sliding and talking alone, you can also do a box drill 3v2.

3v2 Box Drill
Four Cones at corners of a box 10x10.
3 attackers at the corners 1 ball.
2 defenders in the box.
Attackers can only pass at the corners so they have to move to support ball. Defenders split one on ball, one in centre of box (slideman). When ball is passed Slideman moves to play ball, Ballman drops into centre of box and becomes Slideman.

You can spread out all over field, so everyone gets turns as attacker and defender. Attackers need to know how to slide as well (Riding).

Hope this Helps
fifteen peter twenty

Postby fifteen peter twenty Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:55 pm

I guess any man down drills would be good but we use a build up drill so it starts 2 on 1 then 3 on 2 all the way up to 6 on 6.
Ian#4
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Ian#4 Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:02 pm

http://www.lacrossechannel.tv/menu.cfm

The 4 programs at the bottom of the page cover basic principles and defense. One of the coaches surgests some drills in one of the videos, although I can't remember which one.
Leeds :: SLL :: South :: Cardiff Harlequins :: Cardiff Uni :: Penarth
laxfolife

Postby laxfolife Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:18 am

its all about 4v3 fastbreak drill to learn 1st and 2nd slides
Hit to Hurt
Shoot to Score
Play to Win
Ian#4
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Ian#4 Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:53 am

I find my biggest problem is knowing when to slide to a team mate who has/is about to be beaten. It's pretty obvious when to slide in the fast break drill, but what about in settled play?
Leeds :: SLL :: South :: Cardiff Harlequins :: Cardiff Uni :: Penarth
jim_bath

Postby jim_bath Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:50 pm

I am no expert but I would suggest there is no 'right' answer to sliding in settled play - it will depend on many things including:

Your confidence in your team-mates ability - are they really just about to be beaten or can/will they recover

Position on the field - is there going to ba an easy of shot or easy drive on the goal

Ability of the attacker with the ball, etc.

The more you play with your D-unit the more you will get the feel for the right time to go.

And when you do go - go big and load and hard!
Bath City D-Pole
jim_bath

Postby jim_bath Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Ok, that should have read

Go BIG and LOUD and HARD

Opps
Bath City D-Pole

mandy
Admin
Admin

Postby mandy Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:34 pm

and he could have just edited it and we'd have been none the wiser

ahhh ... the whit
jim_bath

Postby jim_bath Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:13 am

Mmm, ok, so that is something new I heave learned today. I never was one for reading instructions, etc.!

:lol:
Bath City D-Pole

TC19

Postby TC19 Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:25 pm

I'd agree with pretty much everything from UKLaxfan. The following might also help:

Before putting slides into your defence you should think about your overall philosphy and how you intend to play (will you be aggressive, conservative, lock off behind, slide early to your short stick defensive middies etc).

Once you've decided on this you need to decide whether you'll slide from the crease, from adjacent, or a mixture of both.

Although most coaches would probably advocate sliding from the crease these days and erring on the conservative side there's no right and wrong way of doing any of the above. It depends on your players, their attributes etc.

As far as drills go the ones from UKLaxfan will get you were you want to be. One more to add is Y drills. It's basically a 4 v 4 with an attacker at back right and back left and the other two lined up on the crease in the shape of a Y. (the goal is where the stick of the Y meets the V part if that makes sense?!)

The dodge can be initiated from either point behind with the crease attackers staying relatively still (at least until your poles get the hang of it) so that the crease defender and the 2 slide can get their timing right.

You can also do the drill the other way round with the 'points' of the Y up top to simulate a dodge from middies.

As far as the crease players are concerned there are a number of key things you could try:

1. Coach a 'Push/Pull' principle. i.e. the crease defender (1st slide) pulls the second slide to him (i.e. he shouts 'Tom's one, whose got my 2?'). At the same time the second slide pushes the 1st slide ('Dave's got 2, Tom you can go')

That brings me onto the second important area:

2. Communication
Obviously the above example relies on communication and this is vital for effective defence. I think it's best to use names - people always respond to their own name best rather than general shouting. Loads of shouting for the sake of it can be as disruptive as no talk at all so you could look to agree on specific terms (is your first slide calling 'One' or 'Hot', when he slides does he shout 'slide' or 'fire' or 'bingo' etc). Find out what terms your team are happiest with and make sure everyone sticks to them.

3. Hits
There's nothing more frustrating for a defence when the second slide times it well but comes flying out to knock the dodger over only to be dodged himself for an easy goal. For that reason, whilst I still like tackle bags for certain drills, I'd recommend you coach to 'slide to contain, not slide to collide'.

There's loads more I could write but I'll stop before I bore anyone any further.

I am a self confessed defence geek and I'm more than happy to discuss any aspect of defence coaching. If anyone wants to PM I'll let you have my email or mobile number to talk through any specific questions.

Final bit of advice - whatever any other coaches say to you (myself included) don't just follow it blindly. Assess every idea/drill etc objectively against what's best for your players and your team. You'll always be able to refine things to make them totally relevant for your team.

Cheers
Tom
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:14 am

Cheers Tom!!

Handy common sense stuff!

Nuge
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:41 pm

That is good stuff. We've been working on this the past couple of weeks and it's blummin difficult to get it spot on. It's going to take some time before we're well oiled. Conceded a fair few goals on the crease Saturday but that was with Shuttleworth feeding.

Even I'm being taught how to defend.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
S-t-r-e-t-c-h

Postby S-t-r-e-t-c-h Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:54 pm

good tips, try it out with your own defence, and discuss! its always a good idea to find out which works best for you defence, and dont forget to tell the midfield what their role is.
Shef uni #2
Jedi Lax #2
old-stockport #11
pop lacrosse ALLSTAR!

Return to “Defence Tips”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register