ProLaxShop

What stick?

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:50 pm

If someone is about to land plumb on your stick, drop it to the floor

Whilst it is wood , however its the angle on what the stick it at will usually determine if it snap.

At least try and heave the he guy off . If a big bloke land plumb on any stick at 45% its gonna get stressed unless its the most expensive

Hickory isnt unbreakable , however not got one that has broken in a year though.But its not the sword of damacles also.

Its all about the feel of the wood , and a bit more weight
And as per previous post .Please stop trying to hit people in the ankles.If that is what was meant :shock:
Jewellery,Wooden Shafts,Lacrosse Antiques,Lax Art * Random kit
dmiddie

Postby dmiddie Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:43 pm

Meanwhile the offensive team's scored!
Dave254023

Postby Dave254023 Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:14 pm

i had a krypto pro kevlar (written earlier in this thread) but after snapping it twice at the neck. Wood feels awesome in your hands and it also started to give me muscles in my forearms i never knew were there. I am due to get my new krypto pro kevlar pole shortly.i feel that checks will now be quicker and more effective. 8)
Hillcroft D-Man #3
Swansea D-man #3 05/06 & 06/07
Let your game do the talking!
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:21 pm

So therefore Brilliant training aids as well!!

Just got 4 more long , and 2 short in possesion just an hour ago

roll up roll up
Peewee

Postby Peewee Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:57 pm

The hickory has been awesome this past week! I tried playing with my housemates short Krypto shaft as he's an attacker and it felt like a toy... though if you can get a powerful shot out of a hickory shaft, you can get a lethal shot when you go back to the metal ones, it is great for training your arms.

Whether you're a wood or a metal shaft lover depends on your style of D. I'm always place to be a solid defender and to keep people from long shots. It's so much easier to keep them away with a wooden shaft. You hold them outside the fan and even the pressure of shoving them with the stick can hurt. If they turn you you slap them around a little and numb their arms. However, if you're chasing cuts and moving around a lot, you'll want a light shaft that you can easily move around people and stick check with, and the Krypto's seem good for that stuff.

I want the rest of the D to buy wooden shafts though... I can imagine the sight of 3 hickory shafts in the fan would be a scary sight to see.
Kicking back, smiling, not a worry in the world, easy like Sunday morning.
cjlax

Postby cjlax Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:36 pm

Well i'll agree to some point with you - they DO HURT!

If you're a D man and you buy a Hickory, make sure you use it to build up your strength, as this will enable you to conduct field play much better!
Last edited by cjlax on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Princess

Postby Princess Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:58 pm

i had 6d with lots of whip could shoot sidearm/underarm with it accuratly
Peewee

Postby Peewee Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:35 pm

CJLAX wrote:Well i'll agree to some point with you - they DO HURT! but.... the more people I play against with hickory shafts, the more D men I beat and the more goals I score!

If you're a D man and you buy a Hickory, make sure you can handle the thing first.

It is true. You gotta know how to handle your wood :)
Kicking back, smiling, not a worry in the world, easy like Sunday morning.
cjlax

Postby cjlax Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:38 pm

Defo on that! Keen mean fighting machines! Give them to three D's and it'll be like hitting a brick wall! This should also encourage the use of padding and more people will have to buy them!, So when shopping for the Hickory (AKA Borg Stick) buy some pads too!!
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:44 pm

I am sure I have some box arm pads somewhere in my shed unused
And have 1 pair of rib pads- ketts might want em with his tin ribs :lol:

Pm me if reqd - and will look over the weekend
the pom

Postby the pom Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:52 am

pud have you still got the sword of dobber.
is it in moth balls for my return
the pom

Postby the pom Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:04 am

also as fun as they are wooden shafts are only any good for trainning they are to heavey then two slow and ggod attacks will just skipp by

why do no pro players play with wooden sticks or any collage players
cjlax

Postby cjlax Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:56 am

Because they keep them safe for training!
Dave254023

Postby Dave254023 Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:43 pm

So after reading over the post this past week. Considered this to be my last game with my hick (due to missing checks and not being fast enough with it). Went into the game yesterday with a new head on it (STX G-FOrce, with nasty rubber bits). Played a much better game. I was actually quicker than ever before with it. No one drove on me and i felt confident with it not breaking. So she will be continued to be used. I also had my first conflict with a fellow wooden d pole yesterday. He comes charging over the halfway. The ball was cleared. It was rumoured after returning to his half our attackers heard him say that "The recieving end of the d pole isn't too pleasant!!" :twisted:
Hillcroft D-Man #3
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:07 pm

The sword of dobber is safe!

Its a wooden shaft with over 20 years lacrosse history behind before you ask.

Long live having a bit of wood in your hand , either its for training or playing

Safe lax to you all
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:09 pm

hey dave I just sold a milf hirt to a guy in penzance

Corinsh Lax is growing!!
Dave254023

Postby Dave254023 Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:12 pm

Woohoo!!! Lets hope for a truly southern league!!
:lol:
Hillcroft D-Man #3
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:20 pm

Had a long conversation on the minbus yesterday about wooden D-Poles. Basically I play with one and he was of the opinion that the entire concept is out of date and people only use them to hurt people which is not really the point of lacrosse or safe. I use mine because i like to believe it gives me a pychological advantage over any attacker who will be thinking about the impending check and not about scoring but would never deliberately go for a check to hurt someone. Yet I found it very difficult to defend myself against the line of argument, so D men with woodies whats the answer are we just a bunch of thugs or is there a better reason for using the wood. (apart from the excellent reason that its cheap, doesn't bend and is warmer than a metal one on cold days)
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:20 pm

Had a long conversation on the minbus yesterday about wooden D-Poles. Basically I play with one and he was of the opinion that the entire concept is out of date and people only use them to hurt people which is not really the point of lacrosse or safe. I use mine because i like to believe it gives me a pychological advantage over any attacker who will be thinking about the impending check and not about scoring but would never deliberately go for a check to hurt someone. Yet I found it very difficult to defend myself against the line of argument, so D men with woodies whats the answer are we just a bunch of thugs or is there a better reason for using the wood. (apart from the excellent reason that its cheap, doesn't bend and is warmer than a metal one on cold days)
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008

Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----

South Unis #6 (once)
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:50 pm

Tom I still feel and will stand up on this one.That its the weight to play with not the heavy handed approach with wooden.1.4kg per shaft
Warmer in winter, they feel more pliable than the metal versions.

I have sold about 20-25 D poles upto now , nearly all of them either wanted a pole because they had broken one years ago or.

Wanted something heavier than normal , anyone that came on wanted a "thug" stick was not encouraged.I agree about your view of talking an attacker out of it.

Or were sick of bending the so called new advancements metals in the game.

In the NCAA semi's there was one man using wood

However you have to be a good defender , and have to be able to handle the stick , even sold a few recently simply as training tools.
Whilst you cannot get as many poke or one handed reaches out of the sky , with a attacker.midi on a drive - I feel more confident to give a good fair check which he will not want as much as normal.

ONE THING I WILL REPEAT IS ;- Why do people use stx when alledgely the best stick is gait
Why do people use Brine shoulder pads , when warrior are getting better press ect ect

Cos they choose to!

Currently got 4 long and 3 short left

Return to “Defence Tips”