ProLaxShop

Backer Zone D

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Whitey

Backer Zone D

Postby Whitey Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:31 am

Interesting article on the backer zone:-

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/page.cfm? ... yid=142760
Whitey

Postby Whitey Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:37 am

Some more opinion on the backer zone from Bill Teirney:-

I am interested in what coach Tierney thinks about using a backer zone against a 1-3-2?

I like the backer zone against any formation, including a 1-3-2. If you think about it, many of the defenses of today which incorporate crease slides, are basically backer zones. The problems that can arise with a backer zone, is that there is extra pressure put on the back side defenders to help on the crease, when the backer has to slide. In the rotating zones, there is always someone staying home on the crease. Sometimes backer zones can get in trouble against circles, because the perimeter is outnumbered 6 to 5. If a team moves the ball quickly, the backer can become ineffective.
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:27 pm

i can see one problem with it in terms of most teams playing at something less than NCAA div II
fitness of the backer, he must have to be the best athlete in the system by a long long way.
i like it though
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:48 pm

don't know about that Tom. From my understanding, though i should read it again. He is used on a drive to double the ball. Not chace the ball where ever it goes.
It would be the main defensive players that would chace the ball out trying to force the ball carrier to drive into the space where the backer would come for the slide. Thats my understanding of it anyway

Also if you have a period of sustained attack im sure he could swich up with the crease defender or one of the other points on a zone. I think it would work a treat at uni level where fundemental catching and passing is still weak and would struggle adapting to a zone man on man D system. You would get alot of turn overs from dropped passes under high pressure.

Also if you think your fitness isn't up to it then you could have it as a set play when you need the ball back. That is not run it as your main defence. Play it from a dead ball or from a call from the D captain. D's switchin their style throught the game is not something southern teams deal with very well.
Last edited by Mr.Stanford on Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:51 pm

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
don't tell everyone

watch out for backer D systems sprouting like mushrooms now
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008

Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----

South Unis #6 (once)
UKLaxfan

Backer Zone

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:48 am

The Backer Zone can be a very aggressive way of playing defence, as opposed to basic 3-3 Zone which is a lot more conservative.

In the Backer Zone the man playing the ball has license to go out and throw checks and cause a turnover, as in effect you want the attacker to dodge the first man and go to goal where he will come face to face with the backer.

This takes the initiative away from the offense and puts pressure on the ball carrier to make the right decision and execute the play properly. He either has to take a shot quickly with the backer approaching him or find the open man.

The hardest thing to do as a ball carrier is to find an easy outlet, because if you try to pull out again the man you beat/dodged should be right there closing the door on the trap.

Any situation where the opposition don't play good team offense a Backer Zone can be used succesfully.

The problem though is that the defense must be confident in using it and know what there responsibilities are for each position. This means it must be practiced regularly so you know what you're doing.

Man-to-man is much easier to set up and use, so most teams use it. Conversely most attacks are used to playing against Man-to-man.

The Backer doesn't have to be a super athlete at Club level because the ball doesn't move very fast around the perimeter compared to NCAA lacrosse.

Finally, the Backer Zone is actually fun to play defence because you are proactive and taking it to the offense rather than waiting to react what they do.

Return to “Defence Tips”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register