ProLaxShop

Defence

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Princess

Defence

Postby Princess Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:07 am

Scream, Hit people, run around lots and be generally slightly angry all the time - well works for me
afro

Postby afro Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:43 pm

Well, I dosen't really 'work' does it chico. Try thinking about this stuff more carefully. Get on with some work.
*Look at all these teams and numbers*
www.blueslacrosse.co.uk
EGLC02

Re: Defence

Postby EGLC02 Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:51 pm

Princess wrote:Scream, Hit people, run around lots and be generally slightly angry all the time - well works for me

Scream - Yes. Good communication can be the key to good team D. That said you all have to know and understand what, when and more importantly why you are screaming. A loud, switched on D can unsettle the attack.

Hit People - Yes. Aim to make that 1st challenge hard (but fair). If a man takes a big hit making a dodge or as a result of a bad pass to the crease he will often think twice about making that dodge a second time or be to concerned about the impending hit to catch the ball on the crease.

Run around lots - Yes. On the clear you must make space and give your keeper / ball carrier options. You will struggle to do this standing still. You might also have to break into a light jog from time to time if your man insists on moving.

Generally slightly angry - Yes. Provided it is controlled aggression. It's no good if you spend half your time on one knee in the bin while your team mates play man down.
Princess

Postby Princess Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:11 pm

LOL afro my man your a midi so take a walk "pump" u got creamed by geoff hes like 5ft 9 how big are you cowboy??? not feeling so bouncy now are we, only OA boy to get turfed apart from Lambert. Which was more luck than judgement :wink:
Princess

Postby Princess Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:13 pm

and thanks for indepth assesment of pro's and cons of my defence style nige lol :oops:
EGLC02

Postby EGLC02 Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:32 pm

How funny is this the Old and the New aber team bitch having a verbal toe to toe. What will happen when they actually meet on the field of play? Will the old boy glide past the young D man like he isn't there or will he get put on his arse? Only time will tell :lol:
The future's bright. The future's BLACK & SILVER!!!
Visit www.eglc.co.uk to keep up to date with the top lacrosse club in Sussex
goldenboy

Re: Defence

Postby goldenboy Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:16 pm

EGLC02 wrote:Run around lots - Yes. On the clear you must make space and give your keeper / ball carrier options. You will struggle to do this standing still. You might also have to break into a light jog from time to time if your man insists on moving.

I didnt sign up for that!!!
afro

Postby afro Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:02 pm

That is very rich coming Nigel 'players like you shouldn't go round me' Kingston. Obviously theres no history of little blokes being all mouth.

The coincidental similarities between the boy's attempt at humour and your passage copied from a textbook are irrelevant. Remind me of Aberystwyth's defensive record? Hardly a position of strength from which to give advice.
*Look at all these teams and numbers*
www.blueslacrosse.co.uk
EGLC02

Postby EGLC02 Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:47 pm

afro wrote:That is very rich coming Nigel 'players like you shouldn't go round me' Kingston.

That comment still stands. Still I was gutted and spent a week kicking myself for that stupid little mistake. A momentary laps of concentration is all it was. We'll see what happens next time shall we? How is that knee by the way?
The future's bright. The future's BLACK & SILVER!!!

Visit www.eglc.co.uk to keep up to date with the top lacrosse club in Sussex
jjlax

check

Postby jjlax Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:26 pm

check hard and accurate!!!
Croydon-16
Princess

Postby Princess Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:42 pm

defense is more than one man afro, i have 2 newbies in D with me and a green goalie cant blame that scoreline on me. Although this may be a foreign concept to a "flash" midi as yourself - how many OA goals u got fro?? :roll:
Battleaxe

Re: check

Postby Battleaxe Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:46 pm

jjlax wrote:check hard and accurate!!!

Unnecessary roughness comes to mind here, then the question of being out of position. The fitter player is on the opponent and using the body.
The strength of the defence is measured by the number of 'flash' middies back in the hole. The defence is 7 not 4 in number.

The defender that says they had a 'green / freshman' goalie behind them and it is not the defenders fault, lacks leadership. The goalie should be the best stick handler on the team in reaction terms. This is because they have to mop up the mistakes of the nine players in front of them. The goalie has a 50:50 chance - it is either a save or a goal.

Accurate means on the stick or gloves and gloves only.
Princess

Postby Princess Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:08 pm

I meant that i have an almost exclusivly freshman team our old boys with on average five yrs lacrosse will waltz through both me and my team, because we have played about 7-8 games. Defence as a unit is weak here because we havent had eough time together and defenders opperating as individuals dont stand a chance. My goalie's played once looks like he could be good but he still has only played one match cant be expected to save a great deal
Battleaxe

Postby Battleaxe Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:45 pm

It is brilliant to see the development of what looks like a new squad, Princess.
There needs to be physical practising and technical game plans. This only comes together over time and with a patient offence that will run the drills time and time again; letting the defence and goalie know what is happening in the drills.
Game stats (as joked about in other areas of the forum) are vital and only the positives percentages should be praised upon the players and the negative areas are for the coach to address with new training by demonstration. Not the verbal hair dryer treatment.
It is obvious that this forum shows some participants of our game have not learnt to play the game, that is at the final whistle shake hands leaving the action on the field.
It is better to savour good and bad moments till next time( could be in the second half). Sweet revenge; is the score line and not racking up 4 personal fouls.
Fear of failure leads to hate of the player. Hate leads to anger and anger leads to the .... expulsion foul. Much to learn EGLC02 and afro, me sees.
Battleaxe

Hair dryer or blame verses the Art

Postby Battleaxe Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:18 pm

Refereeing this weekend the stats would show one team's players roaring at each other for approx 4 mins, whilst the other loosing team roared for approximately 8 mins at each other. It also gives an idea about the score.

The post mortem of how the ball gracefully moved from one player to the other whilst the defending team stood and watched, is the Art of Lacrosse. So the roaring or screaming board meeting apportioning blame tells the scoring side they are on a winner.

Anyone who saw the Iroquois play England at Urmston, Manchester in the 1980's will know what I mean about the Art.
Rian

Postby Rian Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:56 pm

Princess wrote:Defence as a unit is weak here because we havent had eough time together and defenders opperating as individuals dont stand a chance. My goalie's played once looks like he could be good but he still has only played one match cant be expected to save a great deal

I agree with Battleaxe. As a leader you should be the most optimistic person on the pitch. I'm a 'green' goalie and have only played 5 matches, but my team are 100% behind me...whether I save or not. The psycholgical impact of playing in a positive environment is huge. As the captain it's your job to provide that drive/team spirit.

....just my humble opinion.
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
Ian#4
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Ian#4 Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:07 pm

Leeds :: SLL :: South :: Cardiff Harlequins :: Cardiff Uni :: Penarth
JP - EGLC

The Slide

Postby JP - EGLC Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:34 pm

Posted by Whitey on EGLC forum, still working on it.... :D

Defensive Slide:-

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/page.cfm? ... ryid=91743
Princess

Postby Princess Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:49 pm

Im a 110% percent my guys all the time as anyone who knows me will probably tell you, but at same time i recognise our weaknesses at the moment but could be future strengths our keeper is a case in point wears 3 layers of armour at mo cos he isnt confident but with time hes slowly removing it. But at mo hes still a little ball shy, but as long as he tries hard i dont mind.

I reallise i have alot of weaknesses in my game but im working on them dont think anyone who knows me questions my commitment, defence works really well when you each know how the other members in defence will react and have confidence in them to back you up etc that takes time something my team hasnt had theres unfortunatly no quick fix to form a strong D its all about repeating drills and getting to know eachother in my opinion.

Return to “Defence Tips”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register