ProLaxShop

Throat Guards!

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Hector

Throat Guards!

Postby Hector Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:38 am

Hi everyone,

This my first post so bear with me.

I have had a few years off and came back and everyone has the new plastic throat protector instead of the foam or plastic one that just hung loose.

Anyway i purchased a new Riddell helmet and got the plastic guard fitted it to it and before the first game i was warming up and took one to the throat. No real power to it as he was on the crease. anyway the bolts either side came flying off after snapping and left me having to tape it up for the game.

I was wondering if anyone else had had this issue and if anyone had any thoughts on what is the best helmet & Throat guard to get.

I am a bit concerned as i like my helmet to be as tough as i am.
"24 Hours in a Day 24 Beers in a case Coincidence....!"
Ian#4
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Ian#4 Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:35 pm

I think i remember reading that there is a faceguard you can get for the riddell helmets that is mega long, which means you dont need a throat guard. I can't find the link again thought. I'll let you know if I do.
Leeds :: SLL :: South :: Cardiff Harlequins :: Cardiff Uni :: Penarth
Hector

Postby Hector Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:20 am

Thank you, any help would be appreciated.
xeclipse19

Postby xeclipse19 Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:10 pm

Trust me, I feel your pain. We are sponsored by Riddell and received the same throat guards with our helmets. However, the difference in the shot you took to the throat and the shot I took to the throat was probably around 50 mph.

I went out and bought a clear lexan Cascade throat guard (although I'm sure the Brine or Warrior one would work fine), drilled the holes, and mounted it myself. For the Cascade throat guard, you can find instructions to mount it on their website.

Off topic: This past week in practice I took an 85 mph+ shot to the throat guard and it cracked in half but that's the only problem I've had with it so far. Haven't been hit in the throat since I've installed it.
auslax

Postby auslax Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:25 am

xEclipse.

Lucky you, i took a D1 middie shot to the neck this week. 2 inches to the right and i reckon id be dead!....it got up under the Cascade throat guard.

The new style are better than the old foam ones though!
hollywood9

Postby hollywood9 Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:52 pm

I think the cpro style are cool but the old stle are safer
HVCC lax #9

Salisbury - 2009
Hector

Postby Hector Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:44 pm

It happed twice in as many weeks i couldnt belive it.

It all seems to be resolved now i spoke with Riddell and they tell me the US keeper just tie the guard on with leather ties has anyone else tried this?
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:58 pm

Ice hockey players tie the thing on, I've seen one of those shattered playing hockey but the keeper underneeth was fine, better than the plastic dangly thing by a long way, tie it on with long loops of string, thats the way to go
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
Go
Golden Eagle #2

Postby Golden Eagle #2 Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:25 am

Tom_Southampton wrote:Ice hockey players tie the thing on, I've seen one of those shattered playing hockey but the keeper underneeth was fine, better than the plastic dangly thing by a long way, tie it on with long loops of string, thats the way to go

Yup, I use my roller hockey helmet for lax, so that's how mine is. I've had a few shots in it and it's always been fine, haven't shattered it yet, fingers crossed... :lol:
bigD

Postby bigD Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:12 am

Golden Eagle #2 wrote:Yup, I use my roller hockey helmet for lax, so that's how mine is. I've had a few shots in it and it's always been fine, haven't shattered it yet, fingers crossed... :lol:

Is that legal for lacrosse?
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:10 pm

if its a helmet (which roller hockey players sometimes wear) rathre than a mask i don't see why not. i would be a little concerned about using a mask in feild incase you got cracked on the head while out of the cage
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008

Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----

South Unis #6 (once)
Wolfey1313

Postby Wolfey1313 Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:39 pm

Out of interest does anyone have the clear plastic throat guard attached to there helemt and if so does it ride up a bit at times during games?
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
fresher309
League Mod
League Mod

Postby fresher309 Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:27 pm

rian does i think (bearing in mind i've worn the helmet a few times) dont think it rides up
Ex Birmingham Bulls #88
Bristol Bombers #88
Turkish.....Maybe
Lacrostitute....Definitely
Rian

Postby Rian Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:39 pm

Yeah I have a clear throatguard screwed onto the helmet which is so much better than the black ones.

No risk of cracking as far as I can tell....goin by the 4 or 5 shots I've had on it. I'm very comfortable with it to the point that I don't really worry about it.

EDIT: Nope it doesn't ride up....
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
Wolfey1313

Postby Wolfey1313 Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:41 pm

mine does a little. It was worse when it was on the furthest bolts now I have moved it, its alot better but i still sometimes glance down and its quite high up. Maybe its just mine
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
CGKer

Postby CGKer Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:01 pm

I have the Brine Triad XP with the claer Lexan throat guard. It has eventually crack but after 3 years of abuse and several shots.

Usinging hockey laces to hold the guard is the ways to go as it 'gives' a little during impact and no screws to break.

Unfortunatly the plastic surround the the guard attaches to is also cracking!! Need a new lid PDQ.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Seriously, Badgers make better tube drivers than Moles. Ask one.
EGLC #19
G&J #60
Rian

Postby Rian Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:17 pm

Yeah actually startin to see cracks round the joins near the facemask...not cool...
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
Go
Golden Eagle #2

Postby Golden Eagle #2 Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:00 pm

bigD wrote:
Golden Eagle #2 wrote:Yup, I use my roller hockey helmet for lax, so that's how mine is. I've had a few shots in it and it's always been fine, haven't shattered it yet, fingers crossed... :lol:

Is that legal for lacrosse?

Why wouldn't it be? :?
hollywood9

Postby hollywood9 Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:09 am

iv been playing in goal for a coupple of yesrs now and have used many throat guars.U want 2 use the ascade one with bolts and it should not ride up if u fit it right. it onlt rides up the bolts are 2 tight
HVCC lax #9

Salisbury - 2009
Stinkypete

Postby Stinkypete Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:50 am

I use a clear cascade mounted on screws. Took a shot to the guard and realised after that I couldn't look downwards properly. The throatguard had been flexed and jammed under the edge of the helmet by the force of the shot but hadn't broken. that was at Clubs and Colleges last year and the guard is still going strong. (Had a hell of a time trying to get it back into place tho')
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.
Hitchin A Goalie No.18

Return to “Goalie Tips”